Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:20:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jetengine in Frostgrave  (Read 17918 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Re: Jetengine in Frostgrave
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2021, 12:11:46 PM »
What really I like about the AoS Azyrite architecture is that it looks properly fantasy “exotic magical culture” compared to the traditional historically inspired Western European architecture commonly used. It seems a bit jarring to see Mordheim style, recently burned looking terrain that makes it look like architecture has not changed in a thousand years.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2021, 02:10:07 PM »
What really I like about the AoS Azyrite architecture is that it looks properly fantasy “exotic magical culture” compared to the traditional historically inspired Western European architecture commonly used. It seems a bit jarring to see Mordheim style, recently burned looking terrain that makes it look like architecture has not changed in a thousand years.

The terrain that came in War Cry was also pretty good - essentially ruined and defiled Azyrite structures and statues and whatnot with Chaos bits and bobs (mostly spikes) tacked on.  Doesn't fit quite as well in Felstad as the regular stuff unless your version of the place has a more serious creepy cultist problem than most seem to, but it's not a bad look for an area overrun by deranged barbarians with a fetish for pointy bits.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »
Yeah, I was looking at that… maybe not for all of Felstad but certainly for parts of it. It ties it all together with the mix of matching architecture but new additions. I originally overlooked the terrain when I was just focusing on Middle Earth but now, for Felstad I think it works.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2021, 07:50:43 AM »
The Azyrite ruins, both the first kit and the kits released for Warcry might be the best GW has put out in years. Too bad that the first set is now discontinued, but I find a box in local stores or second hand sales from time to time.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2021, 08:37:28 AM »
I've updated the thread and put a few (better) pics back in. I'm getting fairly close to finishing the first books Bestiary and ngl, I'm pretty hype.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2021, 12:48:59 PM »
From the crypts comes...the Northstar Vampire!

This is a rather Orlock looking fellow (which I like) but he's not exactly refined, wearing tatty clothes and barely held together shoes. So I suspect he's somewhere on the 'Vermin' level of undead.  None the less he was a fun model to paint

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2021, 12:54:06 PM »
I present to you a Frost Giant.

He began life as some kind of cheap (possibly chinese?) rubber toy. I picked him up second hand for less then £2 iirc. It took me a while to decide exactly what he'd be, but it hit me last night. What is a Giant if not a primative form of man ?

The rubbery exterior was unusual to work with,  but it cut fairly well to remove mould lines (at least the best I could) and held paint once you got it on. After that it was a case of layering the  basecoats, washes (very important with this kind of model, not alot of detail inherent so you've got to make what's there stand out) before finally basing.

He's not perfect admittedly, compared to his more expensive brothers and sisters he certainly pales in comparison. However he is my creation and will certainly be useful when it comes to smashing unwary treasure hunters.

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2021, 12:58:56 PM »
From the crypts comes...the Northstar Vampire!

This is a rather Orlock looking fellow (which I like) but he's not exactly refined, wearing tatty clothes and barely held together shoes. So I suspect he's somewhere on the 'Vermin' level of undead.  None the less he was a fun model to paint

Been playing too much Necromunda lately, may initial though was he didn't look much like a tacky 90s cycle gang stereotype.  :)

My memories of playing Vampire the Masquerade back in the 90s tell me that calling the Nosferatu character "vermin" is an excellent way to wind up as a missing persons case, even if you're a vampire yourself.  Those bloodsuckers are downright vindictive and you'll never see them coming until it's too late.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2021, 01:05:05 PM »
After the last two miniatures, a group of demons followed. Two imps and three minor demons to be exact. The imps are classic citadel miniatures, the minor demons though  lolare (much like the Frost Giant) upcycled toys. From a range called 'Fistful of aliens' , the sculpts are just villainous enough to fit the line between  "alien"  and "demon" for me.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2021, 01:09:33 PM »
Finally the scenario specific creature, the Genie!

This model came from Reaper Miniatures, quite heavy as its all metal. A wonderful sculpt, I had a great time painting it.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2021, 05:21:37 PM »
That genie is ace. That must be quite a chunk of metal. Doesnt't Reaper have genies/djinns/efreets/whatevs in Bones material?

A quick search later, I see they do indeed have one, though a bit cheesy. I prefer this one.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2021, 07:38:40 PM »
Thanks, yeah he's a big 'ol hunk of metal. I think when I bought him, Bones 1 was the only kickstarter they'd done.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #87 on: August 21, 2021, 04:23:34 PM »
The last of the upcycled toys, another Minor Demon. This guy was easy enough to paint  but I'm not sure if the highlighting worked.

Offline jetengine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #88 on: August 21, 2021, 04:26:02 PM »
I dug out this ancient guy, no clue where I got him from, but he has a suitable undead look married with a toady-ish pose to use as "The Servant of the Liche Lord". Apparently he is (ironically) a Liche from Chronicle Miniatures. I tried to go for a drab and dirty look.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2021, 10:53:38 AM »
He looks minion-ish enough to be a servant, indeed.