Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 12, 2024, 01:18:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Revell 1/48th Swift Patrol Boat for £5.  (Read 6224 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Revell 1/48th Swift Patrol Boat for £5.
« on: January 16, 2016, 02:53:49 PM »
I just came across this today at the Works.
There being sold in one of those starter packs with brushes and paints,Now I didn't pick one up today as I had the kids with me ,and now I'm home regretting it ( but I'm back in the city centre on Moday and I'll pick up a couple to pulp )
I've include a pic of someone holding one ,just to help with scale.but for fiver I don't thick you can go wrong.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
Re: Revell 1/48th Swift Patrol Boat for £5.
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
Wow and I thought £10 was a deal when I got one! ???

Still haven't finised mine though o_o

Great find! :D

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
Looks great! Is it easy to remove the stuff underneath to make it a waterline model?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 03:59:42 PM »
Good find  8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:07:21 PM »
Not seen one in my local shop yet but the die-cast tanks took ages to appear too.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 04:30:03 PM »
Looks great! Is it easy to remove the stuff underneath to make it a waterline model?

I failed horribly trying to do so and put the project on the back burner. Very thick, robust plastic (hails from a different era, after all), but I haven't got the proper tools - if you could properly fix it in a vice and use a (possibly powered) saw, it would work, I guess.

In any case, for 5 quid, that is a very decent kit to buy. I got mine as a villain minion craft for Spy-Fi games after watching the "Man from U.N.C.L.E." movie.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 04:37:58 PM »
Can anyone pick one for me? We never get those kind of deals here in Portugal  :-I

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 05:09:36 PM »
Just read your post and thought I'd just check their website,as the do free delivery on orders over £20.and the kit is on there for £10 ??? So it might be a local managers deal.As I said I'm heading into the city centre on Monday ,so if there any left at that price I'll pick you one up,then PM you.(if you've changed your mind by then it won't be a problem as I'm more than happy to have a spare one in stock at that price)
Mark.

Offline MalcyBogaten

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 06:37:05 PM »
I failed horribly trying to do so and put the project on the back burner. Very thick, robust plastic (hails from a different era, after all), but I haven't got the proper tools - if you could properly fix it in a vice and use a (possibly powered) saw, it would work, I guess.

In any case, for 5 quid, that is a very decent kit to buy. I got mine as a villain minion craft for Spy-Fi games after watching the "Man from U.N.C.L.E." movie.

Yeah same problem I am having! ;)

But at that price!!!! If you can get it the guns and superstructure are well worth it! Let alone extra paint and such!

Just keep nibbling away at the plastic!  lol

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 07:05:47 PM »
Just read your post and thought I'd just check their website,as the do free delivery on orders over £20.and the kit is on there for £10 ??? So it might be a local managers deal.As I said I'm heading into the city centre on Monday ,so if there any left at that price I'll pick you one up,then PM you.(if you've changed your mind by then it won't be a problem as I'm more than happy to have a spare one in stock at that price)
Mark.

Thanks! And don't worry, I won't be changing my mind, hehe ;)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 11:45:24 PM »
That's fine.

I'm not sure what's causing you trouble with this kit.There is a super low tech method that works for kits of this nature.
Ship models that come with their own stands are more often than not designed to display the ship with its deck level so that's half the battle.
You simply tape the hull together place it on the stand and hold it still with blue tack.You place the whole thing on a level surface.then you construct a simple jig(yes it can be done with cereal packet card)and tape a felt tip pen(or the mrs eye liner pencil works well its just not popular)to the night you want the water line at.then place the tip of the pen next to the hull and push,then push the jig around the boat.level surface keeps the pen line level.
Then simply untape and cut along the line.join together and sand out any differences between The two halves.
This works really well if you've already glue and cut the hull and cut the hull
You simply make a simple jig to level the hull (a thick book /paint pots.etc work well you're just after leveling the deck) use balls of blue tack ,or what ever you have.then use a jig with a pen or even a Sharpe point to re draw the level line.
I know there's other methods but they can be exotic and messy.This works and doesn't need any extra expense
I've used it on sea planes ,and to water line a landing craft,and mud drowned  ww1 tanks.(you can vary the angle by pushing more blue tack under one corner or a side)
Its a Neolithic in comparison to CAD systems but just because its basic doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.
Mark.

Offline WallShadow

• Bookworm
  • ...leaving a lasting impression
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 05:43:15 AM »
It seems Revell must have bought up the old Monogram model moulds. 
I have the River Assault Group (R.A.G.) boat from that series, which seems like it can be converted readily into a small patrol steamer.  There was also a RVN patrol junk in the same scale.
have fun with the hullsplitting
Ok, tell me just one more time: _Where_ am i going, and _Why_  am I in this handbasket?

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
Its a Neolithic in comparison to CAD systems but just because its basic doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.

This is my preferred method as well  :)

cheers

James

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 08:55:30 PM »
They haven't got any in Scarborough.
If you find any on Monday could you snaffle one for me?
Could I pick it up at Vapnartak if you're there?
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 08:15:43 AM »
I've had one of these on the shelf for quite a while but your tip about water-lining might mean it'll come out of the box now! £5 seems a great price, I'll have to take a look in Exeter next time I'm there, thanks.