Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:44:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690905
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A bit more news on Sellsword  (Read 10109 times)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
A bit more news on Sellsword
« on: January 18, 2016, 02:44:32 PM »

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
Re: A bit more news on Sellsword
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »
Don't worry, sir, you already can count on me! Though I am fully satisfied with Wizard, Apprentice and then a bunch of extras, the possibility for the soldiers to have a captain is deffinatelly interesting. I also have tips for my models which one of them would be a leader.

Looking forward to that (as well as to every Frostgrave related expansions).
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline Ray Earle

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
It sounds good to me.  :D
Ray.

"They say I killed six or seven men for snoring. It ain't true. I only killed one man for snoring."

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:13:39 PM »
Hope it goes well, though unfortunately I won't be picking it up until the printed version later.

Does sound interesting though.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 03:29:51 PM »
I'm sure all will be fine - you've more than proved your worth as a writer of rules. The once-a-game skill use sounds like a great way to bridge the gap between those of us who are happy with the wizard-centric flavour of FG, and those who want it a bit more 'warbandy'.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 04:44:26 PM »
I don't believe that an added bit of complexity and record keeping will impact the game negatively. Captains are an optional add on, so if a gaming group decides that their inclusion negatively impacts their gaming experience, said group can simply play without them. Also, the decision to add die modifiers (or possibly re-rolls), rather than traditional skills seems like a fairly incremental change so I don't expect for the game to be dramatically effected by the inclusion of Captains.

I, for one, look forward to the modeling and painting opportunities Captains will bring to the game. Hunting down and/or converting just the right model is one of my favorite aspects of the hobby. So naturally, this makes me very curious to learn how a Captain is armed and armored. Is the Captain like a Wizard who has a few weapon options or does the captain have fixed arms like a Soldier? Can a Captain be equipped with a shooting weapon? Can a Captain change his non-magical equipment as the campaign progresses?

I'm looking forward to Wednesday.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 08:46:04 PM by Koyote »

Offline rogan

• Student
    • @MegaAlligator
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 06:22:34 PM »
Hope it goes well, though unfortunately I won't be picking it up until the printed version later.

Does sound interesting though.

Ditto with the well wishes, as with everyone else given its optional, I don't think it'll be too problematic. Stupid question though, as I'll also wait for it in some physical format, but am I right in thinking its to be included in the Breeding Pits?

Offline flytime

• Librarian
    • http://soul-drinker.myblog.de/
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:52:31 PM »
Sounds great!

Offline Xintao

• Librarian
    • Xin's Lair
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:54:57 PM »
My finger is hovering over the "buy" button.

Actually depending on how the special roll works in game play(we'll know wed) you could use that as a balancing mechanism for lower level wizards playing higher level ones. So if the level differential is say 5, you could go 1 for 1 and get 5 rerolls, or maybe 1 for 2 round up. Then a 5 level difference would be 3 rerolls. Would need some play testing for balance.

Sounds like a great addition to the game Joe!

PS when we gonna see a Glaurung away team on the shores of Felstadt?
Xin

My Blog: Xin's Lair

Offline MrCharisma

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 03:00:11 AM »
For those that might be interested: http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/frostgrave-sellsword.html

I'm really looking forward to this, and the rest of your upcoming suppliments...

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 07:54:34 AM »
Is the Captain like a Wizard who has a few weapon options or does the captain have fixed arms like a Soldier? Can a Captain be equipped with a shooting weapon? Can a Captain change his non-magical equipment as the campaign progresses?

I think Joe will forgive me for answering these queries...

Captains can freely purchase their equipment (any of the basic weapons available to Soldiers, including bows etc.), and can re-arm during a campaign. In addition to that and the aforementioned Tricks of the Trade, Captains also have a few more little features that can make them a terror in a fight...

Stupid question though, as I'll also wait for it in some physical format, but am I right in thinking its to be included in the Breeding Pits?

I'm afraid not - Sellsword, and all the other digital supplements (plus a few other surprises) will be collected in a print edition early next year. Rest assured that Into the Breeding Pits is already packed full of stuff, and there's no shortage of Frostgravery between now and the digital compendium!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 09:04:24 AM »

I'm afraid not - Sellsword, and all the other digital supplements (plus a few other surprises) will be collected in a print edition early next year. Rest assured that Into the Breeding Pits is already packed full of stuff, and there's no shortage of Frostgravery between now and the digital compendium!

Oooo brilliant! I love a good compilation. I hope some of those surprises are bonus scenarios from places like Tabletop Magazine, blogs, Facebook pages etc etc, for those gamers with rules/scenario collection OCDs :P

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 07:39:38 PM »
I think Joe will forgive me for answering these queries...

Captains can freely purchase their equipment (any of the basic weapons available to Soldiers, including bows etc.), and can re-arm during a campaign. In addition to that and the aforementioned Tricks of the Trade, Captains also have a few more little features that can make them a terror in a fight...

Offline jauntyharrison

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 02:46:50 AM »
Sellsword is up for sale, and I must say it's quite cleverly balanced. Interestingly, Captains don't seem to outright usurp the contribution of premium soldiers such as Templars or Marksmen, at least not until they start pulling off some of their tricks. I don't doubt they can pull ahead by filling up their item slots with magic goodies. I can imagine accumulating an incredible armor rating that way. Altogether I'm very satisfied, though a little crestfallen that their maximum shoot and fight values aren't quite as high as I'd expected. I'm curious to know the reason those weren't permitted to be increased higher.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 02:51:55 AM by jauntyharrison »

Offline MrCharisma

• Assistant
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 04:12:04 AM »
For those that might be interested: http://therenaissancetroll.blogspot.co.uk/2016/01/frostgrave-sellsword.html

Hi Joe

I notice Sellsword is available now on https://ospreypublishing.com/frostgrave-sellsword-38628, am I right to assume it will also feature on Google Play and other sites that hosts your content?