Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690839
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Felstad: The Frost Awakens (UPDATE - Nov 11th - Back 2 Life!!!!)  (Read 27125 times)

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
I stumbled on this forum October last year and after seeing some great battle report vids I quickly bought the Rulebook & short stories. Then forum member Annie, aka the dice bag lady, started stocking miniatures, scenary and all means of frosty goodness. In addiction terms, Annie is what you may call an 'enabler'. So this happened...

I've never posted a blog or anything before, but as I approached Frostgrave as a full-on project I thought it would be nice to document it along the way. I started putting stuff together in December and thanks to a decent mini collection and an unused Reaper Bones Kickstarter I prepped my first warband and bestiary...

My warband is a Celtic barbarian horde, based very much on a Slaine look and feel. And the big fella' himself will be making an appearance! Most are Hasslefree and Reaper Dark Legend miniatures. I created custom bases using Basius molds and will use a common pallet to tie them together.

The bestiary is mostly Reaper Bones stuff I had on hand but also a few Reaper metal range models I ordered especially.

I will be posting pics of models and terrain as regularly and as fast as I can, but here is a catchup for December and January...

OK, first time at doing tartan! I want a lot more in the warband so will be getting more practice as I go. And some Ice Troll beasties...

I wanted a quick win for running a scenario so thought the quickest way was to paint up a genie. I had a hard time finding one that I really liked, but then stumbled on a metal Reaper one from their Dark Heaven Legends miniature line - unfortunately I could not find a single model for sale in the UK! Luckily, Annie came to the rescue again and ordered this straight from the States as part of her regular order. I cannot tell you what a great model this is to paint, the detail is fantastic...

That's all for now. Love to hear any feedback, really like the way this forum works and how people participate. Promise I will post more in the next week. Thanks for enduring.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 12:00:01 PM by CthulhuPunk »
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline Vroomer

• Student
Re: Felstad: The Frost Awakens
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 02:33:37 PM »
Great looking jin. Now... I have to get one... THANKS!

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 03:08:15 PM »
Some excellent stuff there - bravo!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 03:48:39 PM »
Love your theme, selection of models, GS bases and, of course, the painting.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 03:50:35 PM »
Wonderful start!

Offline Annie

• Mad Scientist
  • "Down with this sort of thing!" (Careful now)
    • Bad Squiddo Games
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 04:14:16 PM »
Awesome!

heh...enabler  :D

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
Darn it, looking at your bones pile I'm now considering ordering a few spider, and wolfs, and trolls, big cat, I have one worm but could use a few more, and and and...  lol
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
Thanks for all the kind comments!

Darn it, looking at your bones pile I'm now considering ordering a few spider, and wolfs, and trolls, big cat, I have one worm but could use a few more, and and and...  lol

Yeah, you and me both. The worms seem to be unavailable for order from Reaper in the states (maybe Annie or someone in the know could confirm?) and no-one UK side has any left in stock 😒
There is an awesome new purple worm model that was in the Bones III Kickstarter, but it's massive (and I mean MASSIVE!). And since they don't deliver to backers till Sept 2016 onwards it'll be a while before its in retail.

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 04:02:37 AM »
Excellent painting and it's good to see some barbarians going to Frostgrave.   ;)

Also, good use of the Bones miniatures.  There's some good stuff in there.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 07:42:46 AM »
Great looking collection and nicely painted. Thanks for sharing

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 04:19:59 PM »
@CthulhuPunk ... where is your gaming mat from?
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 05:07:50 PM »
It's from Deep Cut Studios...

http://www.deepcutstudio.com/product/wargames-terrain-mat-3-x3-snow-theme

But if you look around on the site you'll see they do a couple of frost/snow themes. I ordered it last year when they were still doing mouse pad style mats and I'm really pleased with it. However, for some reason they only do pvc or cloth mats now, so I can't comment on them. I will be ordering a few more mats soon and I'll have to choose between Pva and cloth then, but not sure which way to jump! They also do a very decent range of sizes.

The detail on all their mats are really sharp, I love 'em.

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 07:25:39 PM »
Many thanks for all the comments so far. I do have a couple of new barbarians to add to my horde, but in honour of Sellsword finally being unleashed I will lead with my Captain!

Or in his own words, "Kiss my axe!"

And some close ups of the crew...

Working hard on my Wizard, Apprentice and Marksman next, so hopefully be able to finish at least one next weekend 😁
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:09:16 PM by CthulhuPunk »

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 07:39:57 PM »
Thanks for that.

I'll probably go for a 4' x 4' Wastland Theme PVC mat, that way I can use it for both Frostgrave and Necromunda. I've got one of the (very old) GW desert mats from the back in the day so I want something similar.

Lovely miniatures and paintwork too. (All hail the Under Boob!)   ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:41:50 PM by Azzabat »

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 04:45:01 PM »
OK, not much finished this week, but I did finish the bases for my new ice spiders..

The spiders are detachable from the snow bases so I will be creating some dungeon bases too - assuming spiders will be wandering monsters too when we go dungeon delving!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 07:10:28 PM by CthulhuPunk »