Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: How do you like to base your Frostgrave models? (terrain/color, not method)  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
So, how do you all like to get the most out of your models?  Some people have gone with snowy bases, flagstone bases, soil bases with grass and foliage, etc.

With "Into the Breeding Pits" coming out, it seems to me that the snowy bases are less versatile, and that gray and/or flagstone bases would be the best option for the ruins of Frostgrave as well as the Breeding Pits.  What sort of base do you consider to be the most compatible with most terrain types?  Or does it matter to you (I seem to recall GW painting Warhammer Quest miniatures with Goblin Green bases...lol)?  I suppose the clear bases could fit the bill, but I don't like them, nor the solid black bases.

Offline Timeshadow

• Scientist
I would (if I were any good at painting/making) bases with a lightly frosted cobblestone allowing for topside or frosty caverns.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
I do mine in a mid-grey first, then paint in thin black lines as cobblestones and then a lighter grey for highlights. I finish off with touches of liquitex resin sand as the basis of snow, with Woodland Scenics' soft flake snow on top of that and finally a touch of Recollections' extra fine white glitter on top of the snow flake.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline ImhotepMagi

• Librarian
    • Deep Dark Dungeons-A hobby blog
I go with a neutral brown with dead grass. It looks good and dead against the snow but still looks good on grass mats or stone floors.

Offline TheMageKing

• Assistant
Depends on the warband. I'm working on 3-4 right now. One's plain gray, with snow all over it. One's a cork and sand "road", with the dirt painted brown, cork gone dark gray, and snow all over it. The next is a "Rubble" style, painted gray and brown, with... Snow all over it.

And the last, which I'm working on getting together now, is a set of mdf cobble bases that I'll paint gray. And put snow on.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist

Like this. I want my bases to be as neutral as possible so I can use them for other things as well. I did start with all white bases, which admittedly looked REALLY cool, but ended up reverting to my safe place, brown with some rocky bits.

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist

Like this. I want my bases to be as neutral as possible so I can use them for other things as well. I did start with all white bases, which admittedly looked REALLY cool, but ended up reverting to my safe place, brown with some rocky bits.

I really like your bases, and was using dark brown for my Warhammer Fantasy miniatures.  The rocks give it some bling without compromising too much neutrality (I have mixed feelings for static grass, etc.).  Where do you get your rocks, and how do you glue them (regular PVA?).  Are they sturdy?

My only reservation is that I'm not sure how good brown bases would look in a dungeon setting.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
The stones were decorative stones bought around Christmas time. It's called deco gravel. My mom got them for my wife, who thought them hideous, but I instantly found a good use for the silver and gold coloured nuggets.

The silver ones with green ink are perfect wyrdstone shards, and painting them grey makes a nice neutral base. I threw a bunch in my tub of sand. They are glued on with pva. Very sturdy. And I personally dislike static grass myself as well.

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
I've been doing a flagstone style of base - painting with various shades of grey and then using black lines to create the gaps between the stones.
Ghoul and wraith front by hummster, on Flickr

Offline GypsyBreath

• Assistant
mine vary, (depending on when i put the models together!).
Most are sand (browned) + flock (greens), and recently a cobblestone (greys + drybrush) look.
But my mats are cobblestone + green fields...  Suppose the cobblestone will do for the pits.
As stated above by Timeshadow, i suppose a dusting of white would go nicely for some cold tunnels.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:49:59 AM by GypsyBreath »

Offline affun

• Mad Scientist
    • North of Nowhere [Under construction]
Re: How do you like to base your Frostgrave models? (terrain/color, not method)
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 09:50:10 AM »
I always base my minis wit the same formula: A mid-brown, broken up with various grey rocks, shaded with a little bit of green. And black base-edges. Makes it look good on any kind of terrain. 

Incidentally, I wrote a tutorial on it.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 12:42:43 PM »
I agree with @affun, a neutral brown is the best way (for me) to get the most flexibility and use out of my mini's.

I paint my mini's in exactly there same way ... base first ... mainly as this gives me a nice backdrop to the figure and encourages me to finish it.

The only thing I do differently is that after I've glued down the sand and it's dried, I give it a wash of very diluted PVA glue, (tinted with some black paint) so it flows into all the nooks and crannies and seals the sand in place. Otherwise exactly the same. It's an excellent technique @affun.

Didn't use the greenstuff though, but I will now as I always have tiny little bits left over that I just roll into balls.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Drachenklinge

• Mastermind
  • °_O ... gnihihi ...
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
I choose the whole nine yard snow-variant. Since I never before did snowbases (actually I did once but that was even less than a try), I thought ... now or never.

Also I am - first time ever as well - painting the bases-rims with a ligh bluish grey instead of my all-time-favorite black.

For at least some variety on the bases I use a bit earthy colours, too. So the lightblue and white makes it frosty with a bit earthy dirt underneath.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 01:36:10 PM by Drachenklinge »
best wishes
Drachenklinge
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's no problem talking to Your miniatures! Beware, when they begin replying.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2016, 02:29:23 PM »
mottled greys to blend in to variety of surface - rubble, dungeon, catacombs, etc.

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »
Drachenklinge, where is that middle guy from? He looks epic!!