Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:56:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691100
  • Total Topics: 118372
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 13/03  (Read 11236 times)

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
Re: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2016, 06:45:12 PM »
Nice!

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2016, 08:33:10 PM »
Brilliant start! I really enjoyed the story so far, thanks for including it :D

Cheers
Matt.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 12:12:43 AM »
Great start to that. Loving it.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 08:39:45 AM »
Thanks guys :)

@ Dezmond; that's exactly what I originally had in mind! just marginally too late, but thanks anyway; it's been filed for future reference (you never know when you need 2 limo's after all :D ).

Not much in the way of an update, but I managed to do some very small work on the grille. It's been filed and sanded into shape, carefully matching the curvature of the front of the fenders. Then a bit of mesh was added, to provide a basic texture, and I've placed the first of the vertical bars that will form the actual grille. I'm thinking something suitably predatory, so I may try and add an illusion of fangs to it.

I then added a thicker edge to the bottom of the grille, to function as some sort of bumper perhaps. The plastic (semicircular) rod was curved sideways to match the previously shaped curvature, but I'm not 100% convinced of the result just yet. It might end up being replaced, but bear in mind that this is just the rough shape. The idea is to continue the edge along the entire front of the vehicle, but I'll have to break out the putty to make some of the curves. Oh; obviously rivets will be added eventually... ;)

I'm determined to work in as many curves and organic shapes as possible, to avoid the vehicle looking like something rounded that just had a bunch of flat surfaces glued to it. It also challenges me to get creative with the use of my materials and shapes. I hope to achieve an end result that looks as if the limo was designed like this and not converted. :)

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 09:36:06 AM »
I'm determined to work in as many curves and organic shapes as possible, to avoid the vehicle looking like something rounded that just had a bunch of flat surfaces glued to it. It also challenges me to get creative with the use of my materials and shapes. I hope to achieve an end result that looks as if the limo was designed like this and not converted. :)

Nice.  :D One to watch. The few bits you've already done look good, and very promising.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 04/03
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 10:51:59 AM »
This promises to be a classy motor!
 8)

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
Re: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 04/03
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
Superb project, great post! This sort of thing is dangerously inspirational - I had absolutely no intention of getting involved in the whole genestealer cult craze, but reading something like this makes me wonder!

I will probably just be happy to read your progress with interest, Daeothar. Keep up the good work, and also hope your little un gets well soon - nothing worse than watching the poor little blighters suffer (and the lack of sleep, of course!).

Awesome project though, fantastic. :D

Bert

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 07/03
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2016, 08:04:58 AM »
Baby step update again.

Edged the grille, but I'm not quite happy with it yet. It'll probably be changed along the way.

Started on the hood as well. Added some interest in the form of some relief on top. There will be tubes/pipes coming out of the hood, but I'm still contemplating where they'll go. I'll most likely go with an exhaust system, running along the body of the car all the way to the rear.

I've also found my perfect hood ornament; the almost Genestealerlike skull embellishment of the Conversion Beamer on the RT era Chaos heavy weapon sprue. It'll be mounted on top of the yet to be attached radiator cap, as soon as I have resolved the grille thing...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
Coming along nicely, sir.
 8)

And that radiator cap sounds perfect.
 :D

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 11:11:52 AM »
Great stuff!
I need to think about some transport for my Cult

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 11:29:57 AM »
Excellent!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2016, 08:07:16 AM »
Another update. I finally managed to attack the grille in a satisfactory way. I raised the edges of the grille so they are slightly elevated from the vertical elements of the grille proper.

Those were simply fitted and then superglued into place. All the gaps still require puttying, but I'm saving all of that for one big job when the front is finished.

This includes the larger bar on the bottom. I've decided to make that wrap around the entire front and then capped off at the corners. However; those will have to wait for me to first close off the front fenders. That'll be the next bit, right after I finish off the exhausts.

I'm already deviating from my original plan of making this look like a factory finished limo, by adding a ridiculous exhaust manifold construction on the outside of the body. I think this gives it a bit more of a hot rod feel, and besides; this is 40K, so over the top is the norm! lol

Obviously they still need finishing, as the one I've done (the other side will receive a (hopefully) identical one) is still quite rough and gappy. There will be some sort of rings around the pipes where they decend into the bonnet.

I'm figuring right now, that the pipes will end in the jet exhausts of two old Dark Eldar Jetbikes I have lying around, as those are shaped just right and have a very appropriate look to them as well.

And finally, because in the end, I'm always about the details, as a bit of extra fun; the first of the two headlights. It's a simple case of using some CSM Rhino exhaust bits fused to the kit's headlight backs, and the mouth of the CSM bit carved out to fit a small gem I had lying around.

The gems (I only have 2, so I'm careful to not misplace them) are from a hand-made card I received. They're perfect, because they're very shiny, but also have a purplish tint, which will fit really well with the paintscheme I have in mind. 8)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 09/03
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2016, 08:10:23 AM »
This just gets better and better.  8) 8) 8)
Hmm, only one gem in the pic, hope it's not lost already!  :(

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
Re: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 09/03
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 08:17:24 AM »
Beauty - can't wait to see this finished, the grill is excellent. I'm starting work on my new GS cult minis this weekend, very excited!