Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 13/03  (Read 11238 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive - Updated 13/03
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:24:50 PM »
Well, all this talk about Genestealer limousines got me so excited about (finally) building one, I could not wait and just had to get cracking.

It's been a while since I've posted anything on the forum, but that does not mean I have been idle; I just couldn't be bothered to go back, set up, take pictures, crop/resize, upload and then write waffle about them. But I'll behave better again from now on, promise... :D

Right; the limo. It's been quite a few years since I scoured the toy stores for model cars, but I had high hopes of scoring just the right base for my conversion. Well, no...

I had no idea how difficult shopping for a simple toy car has become! I had been looking for a thirties car, preferably in 1/43, but those were impossible to find in 3 toystores and another 3 discount stores. What?

So I decided I could also settle for some fifties hod rod perhaps? I lowered my standards; plastic, die cast, wood, anything. But I could not even find a single, suitable Cars toy. Go figure!  :?

On to the interwebs then. Same story basically; I could not find any of the sweet rides I had seen being used as a base for limo conversions. So, on a whim, I began searching for larger scales also, as some examples I had seen actually used 1/25 scale cars.

And then, by accident, I stumbled on this awesome German staff car:

I immediately knew that this one would be my project!

Searching on, for just the tiniest of moments, I was tempted to go with this crazy contraption here:

But in the end, I found it too crazy (and probably too expensive as well), even though it would fit in like one of the locals in a 40K environment.  ;D

No; I stayed true to my idea and set out to the local hobby shop to find my staff car. I knew by then that Revell did one in 1/35, and I had seen that particular box in the store, so I was confident that I could score my car and get cracking.

Wrong again. ::)

They did not have it, and being the impatient git I am, I had no desire to wait for an Ebay purchase to be delivered or for the store to order one.

So, I looked for alternatives, and managed to find two possible candidates;

and

After much deliberation, I finally settled for the latter. It was the closest to my original idea (it being German), but also the lines of the vehicle 'spoke' to me a bit more.

Besides; I did not have enough money in the meter to dally any longer anyway... lol

When I got home, I put the box on my desk, as I knew I would not be faffing around with it anytime soon, since my 2 year old is pretty ill and demands constant attention/attendance. I even had to cancel my regular gaming night, as I prepped myself for another night of nursing duty.

But in came my wife, stating that her girl's night out was moved a day forward, so she would be taking care of the little one tonight and unexpectedly I was free to get cracking!

Which I obviously did with gusto.

I immediately decided that the most important feature of the staff car, the double rear axle, would have to be converted; it was just too cool and just what a limo needs, when driving around a chunky Patriarch.

So that was my first stop:

Basically, I sawed straight through the chassis (with attached wheel wells), added a length of plasticard and glued the end bit back into place. Braces underneath were used for extra stability and strength. Then the insides of the wheel wells were closed off by first using a bit of card to trace the exact shape required, then that was transferred to plasticard (x2) and glued into place.

The curved fender/wheel well was created by taking a piece of square tubing and cutting it in half, lengthwise. Then the corners were filed into curves to match those of the kit, and after much test fitting, they were glued into place. Then, after letting them dry for a bit, I filed/sanded both inserts completely flush with the original parts.

Then it was on to the grille, which just has to be imposing and intimidating. Only the basic shape is done for now, but hopefully you can already see where I'm going with this beast:

I intend to keep it very low to the ground, maybe one or two millimeter raised, but no more. Also, the cab will be closed, so walls and a roof need to be constructed. And trimming, rivets and much gothification need applying too.

That's all I have for now, but stay tuned for the next episode of Pimp my Hive! :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 09:11:12 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Genestealer Cult Limo - Pimp my Hive
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 12:22:43 AM »
Oh man, this is going to be good...
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:58:31 AM »
Looks good - and the 'Finding Limo' bit was interesting too. Looking forward to see more. 8) 8) 8)
Hope your kid gets better quick.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 07:15:43 AM »
Oh man, this is going to be good...

Yip, I agree, I can sense it in the force also!

Offline Modhail

• Mastermind
    • http://modhails-meanderings.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 07:18:48 AM »
Great project, I'll follow this with interest and steal take inspiration from...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:45 AM »
Oh, yes!
The first of the limo's has begun.
 :-* :-*

(Incidentally: I have almost finished the 'driver' to accompany all these motors....)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 07:46:58 AM »
Oh, yes!
The first of the limo's has begun.
 :-* :-*

(Incidentally: I have almost finished the 'driver' to accompany all these motors....)

I AM curious to see that one - especially as I want to make something inside which he can fit!  :D

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 07:57:53 AM »
A very promising start  8) 8)

I won't be able to start mine until after Salute  :(

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 08:12:03 AM »
Looking very good!  :-*

So it will have double wheels at back or tracks?

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 08:29:07 AM »
This is great! I'm genuinely very excited to get the cult models, they're really very good.

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 08:29:54 AM »
Good to know you finally got some hobby time in.
Looking good so far.
Can't wait to see how it ends up.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 08:58:58 AM »
Thank you gentlemen; always good to know people are paying attention to my bodging around... :D

Hope your kid gets better quick.

Same here; the antibiotics are doing their job though and she's improving (but still adept at causing sleep deprivation ::) )

Paul; stop teasing everyone and show us your driver already! ;)

So it will have double wheels at back or tracks?

Double wheels; it's a luxury vehicle after all.

I originally envisioned something along the lines of the car in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, with a double axle in the front. In fact, that whole car would just be perfect, if it only had a closed cab. Unfortunately though, there is only one kit available (in 1/25) and it is hideously expensive. It could turn out awesome ion the right hands though.

I toyed with the idea of doing it with my version as well, but the curvature of the front fender and bonnet made that too difficult. Besides; the double rear axle idea had already taken root... ;)

Good to know you finally got some hobby time in.

I take what I can; this came as a bit of a surprise. Too bad it was too late to let our game go through after all. My ships are all lined up already too. Still; I did get to cut and glue plastic, which is always nice of course.

We're so on for next week though; I'm starting to suffer from X-Wing withdrawal... lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 09:37:01 AM »
I AM curious to see that one - especially as I want to make something inside which he can fit!  :D

Paul; stop teasing everyone and show us your driver already! ;)

lol lol

Well, as a preview comment, I have made him 'standing', as in waiting alongside his motor in a 'chauffeur' style.
He could easily be 'chopped' so that he can be sitting in the seat but this way he works in both ways (and if I made him in a 'driving' position he would not always fit into what you all make.

Piccies later when I have finished him properly.
 ;)

Offline ballistic_bro

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 09:51:49 AM »
Great start, can't wait to see more.  :)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:16 AM »
lol lol

Well, as a preview comment, I have made him 'standing', as in waiting alongside his motor in a 'chauffeur' style.
He could easily be 'chopped' so that he can be sitting in the seat but this way he works in both ways (and if I made him in a 'driving' position he would not always fit into what you all make.

Piccies later when I have finished him properly.
 ;)

Ah splendid - that gives more flexibility.
I'm waiting for bits to start.