Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:57:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer FB as it could have been...  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Hhslayer

• Lurker
Warhammer FB as it could have been...
« on: March 21, 2016, 04:06:49 PM »
Hello all - my first post; Ive been collecting Warhammer for ever (12 armies ever growing  :));  having almost got over the trauma of the world ending and Age of Sigmar taking over I've realised its an opportunity to develop the game as I would have wished, so I have been writing up various part of the rules as a development of 8th Edition.  I realise there are several rule options out there but its all a matter of personal choice.  I'm just adding to the smorgasbord of options.

Attached are the rules I now use for setting up a battle:  deployment, scouting and so forth.  I would welcome feedback on these.  My main aim is to set up a battle in a way which tells a story - who has invaded whose territory; will you fight an attacking or defensive battle etc.

There is plenty more where this came from - Orders, new charging rules, a new terrain system, new flying rules and victory conditions but I'll if the first lot attract any interest or if anyone in South London fancies a game sometime.

Meanwhile here are some pikkies of my beloved Bretonnians - I've only just finished the Battle Pilgrims

Best wishes

Colin

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warhammer FB as it could have been...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 04:45:14 PM »
Never sway from making something your own (a poor habit of mine!).  I see the Warhammer Quest Bretonnian Knight there in the first pic!
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 08:29:05 PM »
Discussing this on the weekend, I think every set of rules now needs to have missions/story element. Muskets & Tomahawks, SAGA and FoW have been successfully because fo this, as have many others (even the third edition Warhammer 40K was good at getting a story happening with little effort).

Look forward to seeing what you come with.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Arthadan

• Scientist
    • Forge of Doom Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 11:43:51 PM »
There is a similar initiative called "Warhammer Reforged". So far the have a ruleset, all army books (including Chaos Dwarves and Kislev, I think the Mercenary companies from Estalia are pending) and they are releaing rules for all and every character who has ever been, begining with Hammer Harry.

But I'm afraid it is in Spanish. Everything is a beta version and they have asked for playtresting feedback, when they reach an stable alpha version, they will translate the game to English.

According to the designers, they have used the 6th edition as the foundation, but they have added the most interesting rules of each edition.

Here you are the download page (rulebook and army books): http://whreforged.blogspot.com.es/p/manuales-de-warhammer-reforged.html

And characters books: http://whreforged.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Personajes%20especiales

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »
Hello! Nice showcase army. :) That's got to look the biz on the tabletop, especially the pegasus knights.

Interesting to hear what you're trying out with the rules. What's your opinion on the '9th Age' continuation that's popped up?

Offline Hhslayer

• Lurker
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2016, 09:00:40 PM »
Hello all and many thanks for all the kind words about my Bretonnians  :D

To be honest I have not had a chance to go through all the rival sets out there, though I have seen what can be learned from different approaches like Kings of War.  I've downloaded the 9th Age which from a first look are very impressive.  I think my interest is not just in clear and smoother Warhammer rules but in adding entirely new features to make games more fun and exciting.  I would particularly welcome feedback on the start of battle rules attached to the post.

Im pleased with the way the Pegasus Knights turned out - I was keen for each one to have a different wing shape.  You can do this by wrapping the wings in silver foil and heating them under a candle frame - not too hot and not too cold - then bending them into shape; the foil stops the detail being melted off, but it still requires nerves of steel (so best not attempted sober)  lol

Best wishes

Colin