Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:09:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA: Aetius & Arthur – new rules for the Late Roman period  (Read 25745 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: SAGA: Invasions – new rules for the Late Roman period
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2016, 05:44:37 AM »
Well, I'll probably get it, if not for anything else than having the comple set of SAGA rules. I am probably not going to stray into yet another period...  ::)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2016, 08:37:35 AM »
Gentlemen, I don't like to remove posts at all, but the discussion was really going astray. LAF's clearly not the place to discuss politics, not even covertly by guessing what 'kind of people' prefer certain periods or rulesets.
So, back to topic.

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2016, 03:29:23 PM »
I've been waiting patiently for the SAGA Arthur, and it is finally coming! :D

I'm excited. If it isn't exactly what I had hoped for, well... Who cares!? I'll give it a try and make changes if I need to.

This and the Viking-era campaign book have gotten me very excited abt SAGA again.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2016, 05:18:08 PM »
@Nikephorous

You could have used the Vikings board as Early Saxons and the Anglo Saxons board as Late Romans. Another option is trying out Dux Brittanirum by Two Fat Lardies that is dedicated to the Arthurian period which has been out for quite some time(relatively speaking).

Christopher

Offline Pax

• Assistant
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2016, 08:23:00 AM »
Sorry to semi necropost, seeing as it's now August and this thread is from a couple of months ago.

I'm very excited to finally play Romano British in SAGA, so excited that I want to start a small army already. Is there any word yet what a Romano British army would need to play?

I'm imagining a 4 point starting army, so with 1 warlord: 4 hearthguards, and 1x 8 warriors and 2x 12 levy? But do they get horses? Missiles?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2016, 05:50:50 PM »
Well, I obviously don't know what the Saga rules will allow for Romano-Brits, but I suspect that 2 units of levy would be pushing it as levy in most of the original lists are skirmishers, although I suppose they might have militia spearman 'pedyt' types for Romano British (I believe they already do that for Saxon ceorls? I haven't played Saga in so long I've forgotten...)

Are you going for plastics or metals? If the former, starting with a box of Gripping Beast plastic Late Romans would be good as you'd have plenty of options for guard, warriors and levy. Me, if I were starting now ahead of the rules' publication, I'd do 1 x 4 guards, 2 x 8 warriors with spear and 12 levy with bow - that would probably do you for late Romans too! You could always add cavalry later on and other models depending on what's allowed and what's not and what you want your force to look like.

Luckily for me, I have over 200 28mm Late Roman/Arthurian/Barbarian models already painted for WAB, etc, so I just need the rules and I'll be sorted for whatever combinations are allowed.  :D

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2016, 05:42:44 PM »
This. These guys are coming up with what they think will sell the best, and I think they're smart to do so. Saga is single-handedly responsible for bringing medieval period gaming into the mainstream whereas all of the "historically accurate" efforts of the past have not.  My Vikings languished for years and years until Saga came around and now I can't keep up with all of the games.  I think we should defer to their good judgment on this one.  I personally am excited for this book.

It has probably to do with sales. I'm sure Gripping Beast know very well which dark ages armies sell well and which not so much?

All the companies that do Dark Ages ranges do basically the same armies. Apparently it's what the public wants.

Offline Legiox217

• Schoolboy
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 11:47:58 PM »
I'm just curious about the 'Britons' faction. Is this essentially the Romano-British? Or more like a native british tribe?
I just bought some Footsore minis to prep for this expansion. I want to go Late Romans but make them interchangeable as Romano-British, if that is what the Britons are. Then I'll probably get the Picts coming out from Footsore and use them as Scots as well in Saga. Double bang for my buck!

Although those Goths look pretty beefy..

Offline TXWargamer

• Librarian
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2016, 10:54:26 PM »
Any news on a release date for this supplement?

Offline Snirr

• Schoolboy
« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2016, 05:40:46 PM »
Studio Tomahawk has a very active Facebook page, where you can find some pictures from the new book. It's in french, but it looks a bit as if you need the other SAGA books to use that one. There are references to C&C in the options for the Huns.
https://m.facebook.com/studiotomahawk/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
The strange thing is, there seems to be virtually nothing about it on the official Saga forum... :?

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2016, 08:26:30 PM »
Available at Crisis tomorrow.

Aetius & Arthur Saga. + new (really nice!) purple dice)
I believe only 100 copies are available. Well, 99 to be exact :)
Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2016, 09:23:36 PM »
Report please Willie, once you have your copy! (After you have had a tremendous day at your show, obviously :))

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2016, 08:56:52 PM »
Got a copy (in English  :D) - will give impressions when I recover from Crisis  ;)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2016, 10:01:56 PM »
Cheers Dags  :)