Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:06:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690721
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA: Aetius & Arthur – new rules for the Late Roman period  (Read 25692 times)

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
SAGA: Aetius & Arthur – new rules for the Late Roman period
« on: March 28, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »
While Gripping Beast is preparing the ground with their latest plastic set, Studio Tomahawk have announced SAGA: Invasions [edit: changed to SAGA: Aetius & Arthur] on their blog (original post here).

Hello, Happy Easter.

The lack of new publications of the previous months was due to the intense activity in theTomahawk tipee, devoted to a new and important chapter in the history of Saga.

With The Crescent & The Cross we have explored the destinies of the Crusaders sailing to the Holy Land and the fight of their Muslim enemies, determined to fight with bravery the western invaders. With the new Saga book, we will go back in time, and look at the very beginning of the Dark Ages.

Imagine 6 new factions, depicting the Britons, The Saxon Invaders, the Romans, the Huns, the Goths and the Picts. To lead them into battle, larger than life characters as Aetius, Attila, Arthur or Vortigern. A time when the Roman frontiers were hammered by the flow of barbaric invaders. A time when the civilisation of the past was abour to be superceded by a new one.

New factions, new mercenaries to join your warband, a campaign system and a large figure range are all planned.
The last round of intensive playtest have been done some days ago by our devoted beta-testers. They tried to break the Battleboards, find any loophole in the 6 new scenarios and played the campaign, defending a border garrison against the barbarians.  

Saga : Invasions has now entered the next step, its production.

When will it be released are you asking? Not before the end of the year. It is in the hands of the gods now...

8-)

Admittedly, I'm no great fan of SAGA, yet I'm a sucker for all things (Late) Roman, so possibly will give it a try. However, I find the mix of armies involved quite random. The differentiation of 'factions', in particular for the British Isles, is highly artificial anyway. But, seriously, when did Britons, Picts and Saxons encounter Huns or Goths? Not to mention that the Huns arriving in the West were pretty much an Ostrogothic force… ::)
Well, well, wait and see.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 01:10:00 PM by Mad Doc Morris »

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: SAGA: Invasions – new rules for the Late Roman period
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:11:16 PM »
Looks like this'll be the typical anglo-centric world view again. Nothing wrong with catering for the bigger audience but as the Doc already pointed out it's a rather odd mix. Would have preferred to have Romans, Vandals, Goths, Huns, Franks and maybe even Sassanids for a main book. One could have dealt with the island in a supplement well enough. That said I'll still have a look and if it's just to see if one can turn those island dweller batteboards into proper mainland european germanic tribes  ;)

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 02:04:24 PM »
Nice to see Late Romans & all, but very disappointed that we don't have any Sassanids.

I wonder if this means GB plans to do plastic Huns?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 02:33:44 PM by delbruck »

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 02:37:55 PM »
 With Huns and Goths featuring it's not particularly Anglo centric? Maybe there will be expansions to come?

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 04:53:19 PM »
I can't wait for this set! It's difficult getting the non Saga Gripping Beast ranges here in the States, so when this comes out, more GB figures will likely be available here! I think it possible there will be further supplements that include franks and Sassanids, maybe some alemmanni and Vandals as well. I can not freakin wait!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 04:56:50 PM »
I must add to what has been said so far. This is a rather odd collection of "factions", that would have better split into different volumes. And it's a shame, there is no near eastern army featured!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 06:17:20 PM »
Personally, I'll be playing Britain only, so to hell with the other factions!  ;)

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 06:19:33 PM »
With Huns and Goths featuring it's not particularly Anglo centric? Maybe there will be expansions to come?
Ah well, but with Picts, Britons and Saxons (the latter probably designed to represent the ones fighting in Britain) it's already half the factions which didn't play any part at all in the events that occured in mainland europe. And that's where the bulk of the empire was, I was led to believe;)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:00 PM »
Truth to tell, I've been waiting for this since Saga first came out. Slightly odd mix of factions, perhaps, but I'll still give it a look when it comes out. Might even get me playing more regularly...

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 07:09:27 PM »
Definitely looking forward to this. Any idea if it is an expansion of the standard Saga rules or a stand alone book (which I believe Cross and Crescent was?)

Agreed on the strange mix of factions - I  guess one could proxy 'Anglo-saxons' as continental Saxons, and (Romano-)Britons as continental post-Roman states... but it still seems strange. I'm with the general consensus that I would have preferred a greater focus on the continent in this book and a seperate volume dealing with Britain later...
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:38 PM »
Any idea if it is an expansion of the standard Saga rules or a stand alone book (which I believe Cross and Crescent was?)

Crescent & Cross is a standalone product indeed, and seemingly Invasions will be as well.

Agreed on the strange mix of factions - I  guess one could proxy 'Anglo-saxons' as continental Saxons, and (Romano-)Britons as continental post-Roman states

Unfortunately, there were no continental Saxons. ;) But there's certainly potential for a count-as approach. Like said, there's actually very little evidence to tell those 'factions' apart anyway.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:47 PM »
Judging from archeological evidence most late roman era germanic tribes looked much the same apart from small decorations with the most elaborate jewelry and weapons probably only available to warlords and their followers. With late romans, saxons, huns and goths covered you can probably create any contemporary warband west of Adrianople. Apart from Franks perhaps who are supposed to have had funny haircuts.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 10:40:19 PM »
Lack of Sassanians is a let down.. But I still hope for them in expansion :(

Brittaniocentrism is a thing I got used to in wargaming..
I am no surprised that there is no Slavic faction but 6 (?) British :)

So I expected it being Britain only, so Huns and Goths are both welcome surprises!!

Offline Legiox217

• Schoolboy
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 01:41:21 AM »
This looks awesome. I see it says "not before the end of this year." That sounds like too long considering it's already done and about to be in production. Perhaps something was lost in translation ? I suppose early next year wouldn't be TOO far away, but I guess I'm just too excited I'm being hopeful.

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:15 AM »
Hmm, interesting.  I don't own Crescent & Cross yet, and would probably prioritize that, but I might be tempted enough to get this down the road. The Anglocentrism doesn't really bother me, especially since the first SAGA book seemed to lean heavily on a period of cultural upheaval and invasions in the British Isles as well.  Takes a similar theme, which suits the scale of warband-level conflict in SAGA well, and just steps back several centuries.

I wouldn't be surprise if more continental and near-Eastern factions showed up in books down the road.