Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:29:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690833
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old Crow force WIP thread. New pics 28/04/16  (Read 12316 times)

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: 25mm small flier/hover vehicles - scratch built decision made...
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2016, 09:02:02 AM »
Looks great! Do you think the cockpit would work for two 15mm figures?

Yes. I'm painting the windscreens so there will be no interior detail to show layout. I think at 15mm you could argue the two figures are side by side or even one behind and above the other.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: 25mm small flier/hover vehicles - scratch built WIP update II
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2016, 03:45:03 PM »
More progress...

As always more pictures and commentary on my blog - link in sig...

Sorry the pictures aren't great. these are from the ipad camera. I shall break out the decent camera later in the week.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 03:47:23 PM by Brandlin »

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Re: 25mm small flier/hover vehicles - scratch built WIP update III 11/4/16
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2016, 05:31:31 PM »
Sorted through this lot...

to find a suitable nose weapon

Barrel will get cut down a little.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
Grymn / Old Crow force WIP thread.
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »
I have decided to use this thread to also show what other vehicles and forces are going with the kit bash fliers.

This is a Hasslefree Grymn Army with Old Crow Models vehicles.

I just finished detailing up some light recon / fast attack vehicles. These are Old Crow Models Gecko and Goanna Scouts.

More updates as i paint and the other 30+ vehicles I have.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 05:44:59 PM by Brandlin »

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Grymn / Old Crow force WIP thread.
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2016, 07:49:52 PM »
Very cool progress so far :)

Are you sticking to the original army colours? I liked them so it would be cool if you did.

The fliers look good so far but I have a couple of questions... Are they going to have tails or some sort of nose thrusters (they look nose heavy)? With the under-nose gun pod, how are you going to work the undercarriage?

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2016, 09:11:05 PM »
Very cool progress so far :)

Are you sticking to the original army colours? I liked them so it would be cool if you did.

The fliers look good so far but I have a couple of questions... Are they going to have tails or some sort of nose thrusters (they look nose heavy)? With the under-nose gun pod, how are you going to work the undercarriage?

Thanks Inso. It has taken me awhile!

When you ask about colours to match original models, do you mean these?

My intention is to match them. However, I can't for the life of remember the colours and recipes. Also as I have a number of modular vehicles to paint I was thinking that a solid colour would work better than a camo scheme which would be split along the module lines. I think I will end up recreating this with vajallo model air paints and then redo the old ones.

As to the fliers. Yes, they are nose heavy. I couldn't easily mount the lift rotors any further forwards, but I have angled the cockpit down to reduce the over balance. They will get tails.  the fliers have twin counter rotating lift fans a long tail with a stabilising rotor isn't necessary. I want to keep the model compact so it will have a tail fin that simply acts as a rudder. I might make it sizeable to carry squad markings etc.

As to landing gear I'm thinking simple helicopter skids. The fixing holes on the cockpit sides will accept bent brass rod to make the frame and plasticard strips for skids. The frame for the skids will have to be quite tall and wide to allow the nose weapon space to turn and not ground, but I'm hoping this will help make the models look a little more insect-like and 'fragile' like light recon fliers.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2016, 09:55:20 PM »
I'm glad you are planning to stick to those colours.

If you fit a tail to the fliers, it will be enough to add a bit of balance... the tilted pod is enough to take the edge off as well.

I guess the skids will be a trial and error thing :)

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2016, 04:03:52 AM »
How about, instead of a tail, hanging a bulky weighty-looking engine/fuel cell/battery thingy (that's a technical term) off the back?  Make it about a half inch wide, maybe an inch long, with radiator vanes and exposed tubing and lots of other fragile looking greeblies.

Also, how badly do you want the chin gun on the chin? What if you put it on top between the lift fans instead?  That would also help to balance it.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2016, 07:52:02 AM »
How about, instead of a tail, hanging a bulky weighty-looking engine/fuel cell/battery thingy (that's a technical term) off the back?  Make it about a half inch wide, maybe an inch long, with radiator vanes and exposed tubing and lots of other fragile looking greeblies.

Also, how badly do you want the chin gun on the chin? What if you put it on top between the lift fans instead?  That would also help to balance it.

It requires a tail because it currently has no other yaw control.

Mounting a gun above the cockpit would severely limit the downwards firing arc.

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2016, 12:57:55 PM »
It requires a tail because it currently has no other yaw control.

Mounting a gun above the cockpit would severely limit the downwards firing arc.

Ok, I misread your earlier post, and figured you were going to have the lift fans pivot to provide yaw control. If the lift fans are fixed, then for "realism" you need a yaw control rotor or fan or something. A rudder requires movement, and won't give any control at all while this thing is hovering.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2016, 02:12:46 PM »
Ok, I misread your earlier post, and figured you were going to have the lift fans pivot to provide yaw control. If the lift fans are fixed, then for "realism" you need a yaw control rotor or fan or something. A rudder requires movement, and won't give any control at all while this thing is hovering.

To provide yaw control the lift fans would have to pivot independently one forward one back to cause the vehicle to pivot around a vertical axis. The fans can't be fixed in this design as that would also give no pitch control (which is created by pivoting the two fans in the same direction along their shared horizontal axis). So it's fair to assume that the fans move.

A rudder requires there to be airflow over it, not necessarily forward motion of the vehicle. As you'll see there's a smaller fan atached to the rear of the cockpit which would provide flow over a rudder with verticle axis, providing yaw control as well as adding to forward propulsion.

However this is a wargames model and not necessarily aeronautically accurate. Bottom line is i like the aesthetic of putting a rudder/tail on it.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 05:02:10 PM by Brandlin »

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2016, 07:12:33 PM »
Initial landing gear design...

I think i like it but am undecided. I like the 'insect-like', 'bug' kind of feel. I also like the fragile light-weight feel to it. But I think it might be a little toy-like.

As always opinions welcomed.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2016, 08:24:55 PM »
Looks pretty cool to me.

Perhaps bulk up the gun mounting, on the underside a little. From the rear shot the green stuff looks like it should be a bit wider, above the white squarish part.

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2016, 09:30:27 PM »
Looks pretty cool to me.

Perhaps bulk up the gun mounting, on the underside a little. From the rear shot the green stuff looks like it should be a bit wider, above the white squarish part.

Thanks Fred.

There's a bit of detailing still to do. The green stuff bit you mention is in fact a flat circular ring allowing the gun mount to rotate on a magnet. It needs smoothing and filling a little as you say.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2016, 09:58:10 PM »
Nice work. THat's a good amount made.
Is that big APC from old crow? He doesn't trade any more does he?