Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:28:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fear, hideous and terror  (Read 2670 times)

Offline Lord puberis

• Schoolboy
Fear, hideous and terror
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:36:24 PM »
Hi all,

Can someone please clarify resolve test when looking. At it from the perspective of multiple sources of it.

For example, if a model is charge by three lurkers, all of which are hideous, is a test taken for each model that charges? If the lurkers are the same thing - ie 3 zombies, is a test still taken for each one?
Is it the same for fear?

Or is it that fear/hideous is caused by a Lurker profile (ie zombie/degenerate)

Would appreciate the clarification as my character has just been afflicted by terataphobia and is facing the possibility of taking a lot of resolve checks

Offline Litebrite

• Scientist
Re: Fear, hideous and terror
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 05:35:06 PM »
By the Psychology rules, the character needs to take a resolve test for each individual reason shown as causing a test. The rule even states: "This may mean taking multiple tests in one Turn."

So in your example, you test 3 times for Zombies (once for each that charges).

With Terataphobia, If the zombie moves into the 5" range (Fear) without contact, you would test at that point and then if it charged into contact with your character, you would test (Hideous).

If you passed the Test for Fear against a particular model, you would not have to test for Fear condition again for that model.  If that model also had Hideous and came into contact with you, you would have test and if you passed, you would not have to test for Hideous again for that particular model.

Just remember that since a model has Fear, doesn't mean it has Hideous also. Hideous needs to be listed in its profile.

Thats the way I play it.

Offline Grumbling Grognard

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 07:41:43 PM »
I think I saw a post or two about this before...  I honestly do not remember how Uncle Mike "ruled" (he is such a hard-ass  ::)  ).

I play it a bit differently.  I think I do so because I am lazy, but perhaps it just seems to rationalize better for me as well...

Anyway, I treat each "event" as same 'type' of critter.  A zombie is a zombie is a zombie (at least today).  Get over one and their odor and you can struggle through for the rest of the battle.

I prefer it this way as it is easier to track as all the player has to "remember" is that fig passed their test for 'zombies' today, and that is generally easy.  Trying to remember if it was "this zombie" or "that one", esp. when some figures appear quite similiar is another issue entirely.

My over-opinionated two cents,
Scott
Scott Clinton
(aka The Grumbling Grognard)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 08:12:27 PM »
It can be a bit tricky tracking individual sources of Hideous or even of Fear when there are multiple similar causes whether a grasp of zombies or a gaggle of Deep Ones. But it makes for an exciting and challenging game, no doubt!

Meanwhile, here are a couple of links to posts on this popular subject!

Psychology

Fear/Terror/Hideous

Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Lord puberis

• Schoolboy
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 08:39:30 PM »
The thread that uncle mike has answered certainly clears up the issue of how many tests you take against one particular model.

And Mr Peabody has answered that you test for each model regardless of type.

Seems to be questions answered. Unless anyone else has another answer regarding each model.

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:39:25 PM »
The thread that uncle mike has answered certainly clears up the issue of how many tests you take against one particular model.

And Mr Peabody has answered that you test for each model regardless of type.

Seems to be questions answered. Unless anyone else has another answer regarding each model.

Well...  ... I disagree.  lol

While I have absolutely zero concern about how anyone 'plays' the game, that is simply not how *I* understood the response from Uncle Mike from back in 2010 where he indicates:  
...Once the test has been taken (pass or Fail...) the model need not take another test for the same thing. If a model has say, Fear and Hideous the opponent would have to take the Fear test (only once) and the Hideous test (again, only once) when they came up in game play. Hope that helps.  :)

I read that as you would make one, and only one Hideous test per "victim" figure, per game regardless of what caused the "victim" figure to make the test.  The same would also apply to testing for Fear and Terror as well.  Thus, the most testing *any* figure would do in a single game would be 3 test (one for each type).

I will continue with "my method" for several reasons, but they are my own and folks should play with their toy soldiers as they see fit IMO.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 10:44:54 PM by Grumbling Grognard »

Offline Lord puberis

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:58 AM »
And now I can see your point as well.

Is there any way of getting a definitive, official ruling on this thread?

Would be nice for me to have it cleared up!!!

Cheers

Jk

Offline MikeJenkins

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 11:55:17 AM »
Insanity tests - I definately read as the model has to OVERCOME their fear, not just face it once, fail and be done. If the threshold model fails the check and it happens again, they surely have got to see how they feel about it!
What I think you can interpret differently is how many times you have to test against the same 'situation'.

2nd ed book (p15) :
Once a test has been passed, the model may continue to act as usual. A model passing an Insanity test has faced its fears (at least for the time being) and need not take another test again unless the model is confronted by a new situation...

---

I can see two interpretations of this section being possible (my preference being that I want to play it as v1 below - purely as less bookkeeping = more gaming!)

So ... Each threshold model is forced to immediately take an insanity check when any of the situations on p15 occur (friendly model within 5" removed, 3 enemies and no friendlies within 5", model with hideous goes base to base ...). Got it.

V1 ('New situation' is a finite, non-repeating list of instances)
- When the situation arises all applicable threshold models must take the insanity check
- if you pass then you are immune to the situation for the rest of this scenario/encounter, and NEVER have to test if this same situation repeats again (eg a second threshold model is removed within 5", a second hideous zombie charges and makes base to base contact...)
- if you fail then the next time that situation arises you will have to insanity check again

V2 ('New situation' is repeatable if it involves a different model causing the effect)
- When the situation arises all applicable threshold models must take the insanity check
- if you pass then you are immune to the situation for the rest of this scenario/encounter UNLESS it is caused by an interaction with a DIFFERENT enemy/friendly model/spell being cast/situation on the tabletop that has not happened before (eg another threshold model is removed within 5", a second hideous zombie charges and makes base to base contact...).
- if you fail then the next time that situation arises you will have to insanity check again

Offline MikeJenkins

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 04:25:59 PM »
Just read the FAQ section does not match my thoughts above (!):

Q.Should a character having passed a resolve test for Fear have to take another test in a new turn if still in the range of the same Fear or does that not constitute a new situation? If a character having passed a resolve test for Fear moves out of range of the Fear and then is brought into range of the same Fear again does that constitute a new situation?
A.Once the test has been taken (pass or Fail...) the model need not take another test for the same thing. If a model has say, Fear and Hideous the opponent would have to take the Fear test (only once) and the Hideous test (again, only once) when they came up in game play. Hope that helps.

Does everyone else play it that way?

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2016, 06:30:56 PM »
Just read the FAQ section does not match my thoughts above (!):
Does everyone else play it that way?

Okay, my thoughts on this...  I am old school.  No, really.  I *stopped* playing D&D somewhere around 1ed AD&D and "published modules" (they suck).  So, I play with my toy soldiers as I see fit.   ;)  With that said, this is how I play...

For the each separate "victim" (for lack of a better term), if the Lurkers have (for example) both a half dozen zombies as well as a Thousand Young in the fight it works like this...  The zombies have *only* Hideous, the Thousand Young has *both* Hideous as well as Fear.

So, first off, if anyone passes a sanity test for Hideous for *any* zombie, they have gotten over the Hideous effect of zombies (at least for this battle -- you have already barfed your gutts out...seen one zombie...you have seen them all...at least until you eat again).

As "immunity" after a successful sanity check applies only to the Hideous effect from (any) zombies if contacted by the MiGo  another Hideous check is required.  In the same manner, both Hideous and Fear from the same MiGo are treated as different "situations".  Also, if you fail the roll, and somehow recover...you have not gotten over anything, you have to re-test regardless.

As an aside, if you are charged (just right) a critter like a MiGo can force two tests...one after the other.  It can be quite ugly...but that is the point, they are!  :o

That is how I have been playing it, and I like it.   8)

Scott