Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sci-Fy supply dump and some pipeline parts.  (Read 1849 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Sci-Fy supply dump and some pipeline parts.
« on: April 11, 2016, 10:28:57 AM »
All of these are cast from Hirst Arts molds in dental plaster.  I have deliberately left them plain so they could be used for multiple game systems.
Some glamor shots.   

The crates are glued together in smaller sections so they can be arranged in either large stacks to replicate hills, rows to provide tones of cover or they can be used for scatter terrain around the board. 

I only have three stacks of barrels done but I do have enough barrels cast to make at least three or four more stacks. 

I only have two pipeline sections complete with three controllers.  There are three more pipeline sections on my painting table.  The control panels can be used for either the pipeline or as scatter terrain. 
Hope you like. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: Sci-Fy supply dump and some pipeline parts.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 12:04:52 PM »
Those are looking really good.

I need to have a look at their moulds again, as there are definitely things I could make use of. Sadly, my casting attempts were iffy at best, which is why I put it aside :-[

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 12:24:58 PM »
Thanks for the comps.
my casting attempts were iffy at best, which is why I put it aside :-[
There is a learning curve but it is actually not difficult.  The nice thing is the folks on their forum are a real mine of information on  casting techniques, troubleshooting and mold making.
Snitchy sends.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:25:33 PM by snitcythedog »

Offline Legionnaire Bert

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 12:53:03 PM »
That's a big supply dump - I likes it! Scatter terrain so clearly makes a gaming table.

I am, against perhaps my better judgement, going to Salute this year (having said I wouldn't after last year's crowds freaked me out :-[).

Seeing stuff like this is very inspirational, and I'll definitely be on the look out for more unusual scatter terrain like this.

I have a heap of generic barrels and crates already, so something definitely more futuristic looking like this would be great, especially for sci-fiers like Antares and Necromunda.

BTW, appreciate you have moulded these yourself! They are inspirational, though, so I'd be up for buying something like this.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:55:18 PM by Legionnaire Bert »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 01:24:57 PM »
Thanks for the comps.  I am going to Salute this year too to try to pick up what I want quickly and go.  I am not a fan of crowds either and it saves on shipping.  
BTW, appreciate you have moulded these yourself! They are inspirational, though, so I'd be up for buying something like this.
Not my sculpts and I didn't make the original mold.   The molds are a product from Hirst Arts.  
In the US.
http://www.hirstarts.com/
In the UK.
http://www.hirst-arts.co.uk/
Following his licensing agreement I cast several of the crates and made a personal mold of the casts so I could produce crates and drums quickly.  The initial cost is the hurdle for his molds since they are fairly expensive but I have some Hirst molds that are over ten years old and still going strong.  Dental plaster is fairly cheap so the costs even out per part.  For me it is nice to be able to cast up parts on demand to use for other projects.  I did the same some time ago with his wood crates and barrels.  Now I have an unlimited supply.  
For selling them, you can but with the licensing agreement there are limits to how much you can sell and how much you have to pay in royalties. 
Snitchy sends.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 01:27:27 PM by snitcythedog »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 01:39:16 PM »

I have a heap of generic barrels and crates already, so something definitely more futuristic looking like this would be great, especially for sci-fiers like Antares and Necromunda.

Mantic do some SF crates, although they're not that cheap - 8 for £9.99 (I'm sure I got them cheaper than that)

Snitchy - the problem I had was that I was making a modern town house using the small brick mould. Despite trying to get the casts perfectly smooth there was always a fraction of a mm difference between casts, which added up over 10 or more layers to some seriously skewed walls :'(

I think I got out of it before he started the various accessory sets, so I'm going to have another look. There's quite a bit of dental plaster in the loft, which will hopefully still be usable after all these years.

I do remember the golden rule about not pouring the excess down the sink lol

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 01:58:14 PM »
Snitchy - the problem I had was that I was making a modern town house using the small brick mould. Despite trying to get the casts perfectly smooth there was always a fraction of a mm difference between casts, which added up over 10 or more layers to some seriously skewed walls :'(
That would the be the problem.  Small bricks was a pretty old mold (if memory serves initially released about 20 years ago) and it does take quite a bit of tinkering to make it work realistically over several courses so that was not down to poor effort on your part.  For scraped side being uneven I glue those parts face down on a flat surface so they are perfectly flat. 
I do remember the golden rule about not pouring the excess down the sink lol
I did that once too.  The wife was most put out. 
Snitchy sends

Offline terrement

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 06:57:48 PM »
" Dental plaster is fairly cheap "

Where do you buy it, please?

JJ

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 07:57:29 PM »
Where do you buy it, please?
Not in the US lately.  Even there comparatively speaking hydrostone was cheap.  Last I picked up 100lbs for $30.00.  100 pounds of plaster made a lot of terrain.   
Snitchy sends .

Offline huesped

• Mad Scientist
  • "-El Emperador no es tan magnánimo como yo"
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 09:53:59 PM »
 :-* :-* damn cool molds indeed!!!!!