Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mounted knight sculpt, new knight added may 28th  (Read 10535 times)

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Mounted knight sculpt
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2016, 09:51:01 PM »
Oliver
Here's something to consider - its showing Charles the Bold from Swiss chronicles c 1485-90.
Think theres another, with mane coming from lion's mouth - I'll look it out.
All the best,
Simon.

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2016, 03:40:36 PM »
Thanks Simon
That's an interesting picture, it goes to show that people dreamed up this kind of thing a lot earlier than the classical elaborate armour produced by negroni in th 1540s

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »
Awesome! I'll be buying one for sure. I really like the idea of a choice of heads.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 07:50:51 PM »
I have been looking for that Charles the Bold figure on horseback for a long time.
I would be really pleased if you make it.

Mick

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 10:21:47 PM »
Mick
Me too (and others I'm sure) - although I'm sure that Oliver knows that that's not an accurate representation of Charles as the rider of that bard....
Simon

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 10:42:55 PM »
He did not have a beard did he, the portraits I have seen show him clean shaven.
I also assume that the armour in the picture was probably not used by him either?

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2016, 10:48:08 PM »
heres another grotesque helm...

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2016, 10:51:33 PM »
Oliver
Re Charles - no beard - we have likenesses from portraits.
However the armour style looks Ok to me.
Simon.
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr17/SelimYavuz/CharlestheTerrible.jpg

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 09:16:55 AM »
Silly question - In the Schilling picture, which is Charles?

I had always assumed that Charles is the bearded man on the right horse with the red and gold face barding. 
Now I look again and wonder if Charles is on the front left horse with a hammer.  The horse has a white barding with gold  Burgundian symbols.

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 03:52:05 PM »
Mick
Sure it's Charles  with beard- as there are others images for him with same beardy chap.
I'm using the white armour as reference for one of my figures though, as he looks great.
Simon

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 05:59:20 PM »
heres another grotesque helm...

Thanks simon
I have this one in my collection of references.
But it's good you posted as I may not have.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 05:55:10 AM »
My, but we're all critics... great-looking rider, but the horse looks like he should be a little longer to me.  :)

As for Charles the Bold, the portraits we have are from c.1460 when he was in his early 30s... by 1477 he could look very different, not least that he had lost his front teeth and had facial scars to match (he might have grown a beard to hide them). He sounds like he suffered from manic depression, or at least depression (periods of melancholy and 'hilarity' and his turning to drink during the 'Swiss Wars') and probably 'let himself go' at times too. His hair was also greying. Certainly the legend of his identification includes a sore on his stomach and long uncut finger and toe nails. It is possible that the Swiss picture might be somewhat more accurate than we might imagine.   

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
My, but we're all critics... great-looking rider, but the horse looks like he should be a little longer to me.  :)

As for Charles the Bold, the portraits we have are from c.1460 when he was in his early 30s... by 1477 he could look very different, not least that he had lost his front teeth and had facial scars to match (he might have grown a beard to hide them). He sounds like he suffered from manic depression, or at least depression (periods of melancholy and 'hilarity' and his turning to drink during the 'Swiss Wars') and probably 'let himself go' at times too. His hair was also greying. Certainly the legend of his identification includes a sore on his stomach and long uncut finger and toe nails. It is possible that the Swiss picture might be somewhat more accurate than we might imagine.   

Thanks, it's funny that I'm getting comments about the anatomy of things as this horse is exactly the same size and proportions as a Perry plastic, and I have done these to fit with them.

Anyway an interesting thought about Charles the bold as he was wounded in the throat by a pike at Ruplemonde I think and he may have grown one to cover the scar and although beards were not in fashion then, they are still seen occasionally in contemporary painting like this.

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 03:21:09 PM »
Thanks, it's funny that I'm getting comments about the anatomy of things as this horse is exactly the same size and proportions as a Perry plastic, and I have done these to fit with them.

I'd better get onto them too then!  :)

It might be that the barding is distorting things and I was talking about only a small difference as it was, but from here it looks like the saddle starts on the neck and ends on the rump, and doesn't just sit in the back of the horse between the two. 

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 04:08:26 PM »
Maybe the saddle needs some trimming anyway I have done more work on the figure here it is