Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mounted knight sculpt, new knight added may 28th  (Read 10477 times)

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
Mounted knight sculpt, new knight added may 28th
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:43:50 PM »
This figure is WIP there is a fair bit of work to do still
It is the first of a set of mounted Knights in rennaisance armour. That will be Kickstarted in a couple of months.

They will be separate from the horses with separate heads and separate plumes

This figure has a grotesque horse armour based partly on a surviving chamfron and contemporary paintings and sculpture.
The rider is quite basic with a sparrow beak close helmet. But I'm going to do grotesque helmets and conventional ones so they can be customised to strongly historical or more pageant fantasy style.
The figure is fully compatible with Perry plastic Knights.
Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:18:47 PM by Steel fist »

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: Mounted knight sculpt
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:59:05 PM »
Wow, another truly impressive sculpt.
I'm sure these will go down well again for a Kickstarter (although personally I'd like late 15th century, but hey ho!).
I'm not user if you have a contemporary reference Oliver, but the crinnet (steel plates on the top of the horse's neck) look a little odd as they're almost vertical - from practical perspective, they usually overlap and lay more horizontal. I don't know how they'd be made to stand upright?

Just an observation - but I really like the pose, details and the approach re the mounted figures.
Am sure other experts on this period will provide more info, but this is good ref point...The Triumph of Maximillian.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=triumph+of+maximilian&hl=en-GB&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih_7DtvIfMAhXC0RQKHYaoBMcQsAQIIA

All the best,
Simon.

Offline MamlukRaider

• Assistant
  • :)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:16:27 PM »
Congratulations on the KICKSTARTER Oliver the wip looks great I'm assuming the first sets will be generic mounted knights but will you sculpt alternate character heads/torsos (like the bearded foot knight) or nobles in renaissance dress?
Regards

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 09:21:31 PM »
Wow, another truly impressive sculpt.
I'm sure these will go down well again for a Kickstarter (although personally I'd like late 15th century, but hey ho!).
I'm not user if you have a contemporary reference Oliver, but the crinnet (steel plates on the top of the horse's neck) look a little odd as they're almost vertical - from practical perspective, they usually overlap and lay more horizontal. I don't know how they'd be made to stand upright?

Just an observation - but I really like the pose, details and the approach re the mounted figures.
Am sure other experts on this period will provide more info, but this is good ref point...The Triumph of Maximillian.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=triumph+of+maximilian&hl=en-GB&gbv=2&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih_7DtvIfMAhXC0RQKHYaoBMcQsAQIIA

All the best,
Simon.
Thanks Simon,
I will get some pics for my references, the crinnet is basically kind of flicking up like that so is is overlapped but flicks out like to look like the bones on a dragons back. I will look at it again if people don't like it though.

Congratulations on the KICKSTARTER Oliver the wip looks great I'm assuming the first sets will be generic mounted knights but will you sculpt alternate character heads/torsos (like the bearded foot knight) or nobles in renaissance dress?
Regards
Yes I will get some different ones done then look at changing heads and stuff.
Cheers
Oliver

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:27:12 PM »
That is magnificent!!  :o

How many sculpts do you plan on doing? Will any have couched lances?
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 09:31:32 PM »
That is magnificent!!  :o

How many sculpts do you plan on doing? Will any have couched lances?

Maybe 8 they won't initially have couched lances by I may do variants later.

Here are some pics of my references the horse armour is inspired by a dragon. I know the drawing is fantasy but conceivably the may have done horse armour to look like a dragon and the style I have rendered it is of the period.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:42 AM »
Good sculpt and good luck with the kickstarter!

I just have a slight criticism about the position of the legs. They seem to start a bit behind the axis of the torso to me, as if the knight was suffering from lumbar lordosis.

Offline Dawnbringer

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 01:25:05 AM »
I hope you'll consider matching pairs of mounted and dismounted. I game using a variation of the LotR SBG rules so I need dismounts incase of horse casualties. (The Perry's WotR range is good in that regard, their Agincourt to Orleans not so much.)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 08:13:15 AM »
Wow, you've got the renaissance bug haven't you !

I echo Simon's recommendation for the Triumph of Maximilian as a resource, it's excellent both in colour and the B&W line drawings, you may get something from both versions.

Another good source are the various depictions of the Battle of Pavia, the tapestries of Bernard van Orley are of particular note for their detail.

Last but not least is another series of tapestries 'La tenture de David et Bethsabee' which features some very detailed images of Gendarme horse armour.

From a pragmatic point of view there are two frustrations for miniature availability of cavalry of this period, the first you can probably address the latter may be another project;

* Horse armour; the Perry sculpted Foundry range has one pose which is good but lends some considerable repetition if you're not a fan of other ranges. Eureka do a good mix but I personally don't like the sculpts that much, others available also don't quite cut it. The main type of caparison armour that would be really useful to get some variants of is that depicted in the images below, they're suitable for 1500-1535 ish.

* Mounted Ordonance Archers; initially these were bow armed but developed into a lighter demilance type, these are almost not covered at all but formed a considerable element of any lance of the period, the Triumph is a good source for these, see below also.

Those are my thoughts for what they're worth.

All the best and good luck

Stuart

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
I'm with all of the points Stuart made really.

It would be wonderful to see a selection of Francs Archer types mounted and with melee weapons and sans their missile weapons Oliver.

Equally it would be brilliant to see some caparisoned horse armours but my personal preference would be of the practical battlefield use type.

Darrell.

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 10:24:43 AM »
Good sculpt and good luck with the kickstarter!

I just have a slight criticism about the position of the legs. They seem to start a bit behind the axis of the torso to me, as if the knight was suffering from lumbar lordosis.

It's possible just the photo, here is a pic of it next to a Perry horseman

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 10:31:11 AM »
Wow, you've got the renaissance bug haven't you !

I echo Simon's recommendation for the Triumph of Maximilian as a resource, it's excellent both in colour and the B&W line drawings, you may get something from both versions.

Another good source are the various depictions of the Battle of Pavia, the tapestries of Bernard van Orley are of particular note for their detail.

Last but not least is another series of tapestries 'La tenture de David et Bethsabee' which features some very detailed images of Gendarme horse armour.

From a pragmatic point of view there are two frustrations for miniature availability of cavalry of this period, the first you can probably address the latter may be another project;

* Horse armour; the Perry sculpted Foundry range has one pose which is good but lends some considerable repetition if you're not a fan of other ranges. Eureka do a good mix but I personally don't like the sculpts that much, others available also don't quite cut it. The main type of caparison armour that would be really useful to get some variants of is that depicted in the images below, they're suitable for 1500-1535 ish.

* Mounted Ordonance Archers; initially these were bow armed but developed into a lighter demilance type, these are almost not covered at all but formed a considerable element of any lance of the period, the Triumph is a good source for these, see below also.

Those are my thoughts for what they're worth.

All the best and good luck

Stuart
Thanks stuart, there are going to be all different horses. Some elaborate some more plain.
The photos are useful as some I have not seen.

As to lighter types it depends I may do one or two to trial them but in my experience with the samurai range people don't really buy the lesser troop types nearly as often.

I'm with all of the points Stuart made really.

It would be wonderful to see a selection of Francs Archer types mounted and with melee weapons and sans their missile weapons Oliver.

Equally it would be brilliant to see some caparisoned horse armours but my personal preference would be of the practical battlefield use type.

Darrell.

My plan is to do enough figures so that you can build either practical Knights or fantasy.

Cheers
Oliver

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 10:33:39 AM »
I hope you'll consider matching pairs of mounted and dismounted. I game using a variation of the LotR SBG rules so I need dismounts incase of horse casualties. (The Perry's WotR range is good in that regard, their Agincourt to Orleans not so much.)

It's a thought but you should with appropriate heads be able to do this to some extent anyway.

Cheers

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 05:22:41 PM »
Here is the figure after more work.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 05:37:53 PM »
The riders legs look a little short.
You see quite a few illustrations where the feet are below the horse's chest line.
Possibly emphasised by the straight-legged riding style at the time.
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)