Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord Doctor Who figures  (Read 5680 times)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Warlord Doctor Who figures
« on: April 17, 2016, 07:15:26 PM »
Just to note that John Lambshead has photos up on his blog of painted examples of some of the first of the upcoming Warlord Games Doctor Who figures: David Tennant's version of the Doctor, Martha, Wilf, a couple of Judoon and a Zygon.

http://johnstoysoldiers.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/the-first-new-doctor-who-miniatures.html
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
Re: Warlord Doctor Who figures
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 07:39:54 PM »
Very porky looking Tennant. I think I prefer the "not" options. Monsters look servicable.

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2016, 08:05:28 PM »
Don't mind a bit of Doctor Who on the telly but it's never struck me as a particularly good subject for miniature gaming.

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 08:14:38 PM »
The actual involvement of the Doctor tends to spoil a game for me as he's simply too powerful and deus ex machina for a decent game.

Legions of plastic daleks and cybermen on the other hand are ideal.

Online Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 08:20:47 PM »
The actual involvement of the Doctor tends to spoil a game for me as he's simply too powerful and deus ex machina for a decent game.

Legions of plastic daleks and cybermen on the other hand are ideal.

Yeah I mean the average Doctor Who episode consists of loads of talking, some running down dark corridors and a sonic screw driver. Actually fighting is few and far between and normally very one sided. Just doesn't seem overly good for miniature gaming unless you ditch the Doctor.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 08:37:40 PM »
Of the figs, have to say I rather like the Judoon, less so the Zygon. Everything else, even less.

As for games, not sure how they do it, but it seems folks are always getting the good Doctor distracted, and the rest of the play goes on.

Doug

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 09:17:51 PM »
The Judoon do look good and I quite like the zygon but the others,  while nicely sculpted, just don't appeal. The Martha pose is very well done though. Really liking the Judoon.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2016, 09:27:34 PM »
Yeah I mean the average Doctor Who episode consists of loads of talking, some running down dark corridors and a sonic screw driver. Actually fighting is few and far between and normally very one sided. Just doesn't seem overly good for miniature gaming unless you ditch the Doctor.

Dr. Who gaming has quite a pedigree, and th Dr. Who miniatures game, from which 7TV sprang, is really very good, but I guess it isnt for everyone.

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »
I'm not a big fan of Dr Who skirmish games, I own a number of BTD figures but's that it.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2016, 10:33:46 PM »

Which is something you can replicate quite nicely with Pulp Alley!  ;)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2016, 10:59:00 PM »
Tennant and Wilf both look like they've been inflated. Was Martha really that short?

The Judoon look a bit slim.

But the Zygon looks convincingly like a man in a rubber suit.

As for gaming....
There were some Dalek annuals in the 1960s that had lots of potential for skirmish games. Lots of Dalek stories (as you might guess) but not stories with the Dr. (he had his own annuals)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline No Such Agency

• Scientist
    • Painting Agency
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2016, 02:10:34 AM »
Ah Wilfred.  Loved that guy, so utterly human.  He should have been a companion, except that DW is too hooked on cute chicks as companions.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2016, 09:13:57 PM »
Of the figs, have to say I rather like the Judoon, less so the Zygon. Everything else, even less.

As for games, not sure how they do it, but it seems folks are always getting the good Doctor distracted, and the rest of the play goes on.

Doug

How opinions differ! I rather like the Zygon and while I have seen better Versions of the Dr., it seems ok to me. I have no idea who will is, and Martha seemed to me to be much more attractive than portrayed in that sculpt, but I think that she is actually of quite diminutive stature.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 09:15:49 PM »
Ah Wilfred.  Loved that guy, so utterly human.  He should have been a companion, except that DW is too hooked on cute chicks as companions.

I won't criticise it for that, and otherwise critical of post Tennant show I most certainly am.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2016, 09:22:12 PM »
I think if they do a time war supplement, or boxes of daleks and timelord soldiers it could be awesome.
Otherwise i'm not sure how you could really do Dr who with the doctor without it being an RPG.
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/