Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:12:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking to Airbrush for Priming/Terrain in an Apartment  (Read 5117 times)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Looking to Airbrush for Priming/Terrain in an Apartment
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »
So I'm pretty decided at this point that due to the volume of painting I have ahead of me, I should really invest in an airbrush.  I've done some research, including on this very helpful board, and come to the following conclusion: I should get a starter (but not cheapo) quality gravity-fed, dual action airbrush.  I should also get a 20 lb Co2 cannister, and a respirator mask.  What I'm unsure of is what models of airbrush would fit these requirements.

I'm also a little nervous about the safety aspects of airbrushing in my current location.  I don't have a deck or porch at my place and my building is surrounded by narrow alleys so indoor airbrushing is a must.  I can open the window in my bedroom and have a box fan, but will I need a dedicated spray booth in addition to that? Space is at somewhat of a premium, though that may just require more organization and tidying up on my part...  lol  Does my plan sound somewhat okay? Any suggestions on an airbrush to get? I've had a recommendation for the Iwata brand in general, specifically the Eclipse models.

Offline DELTADOG

• Mad Scientist
  • The two-handed G.E.C.K
Re: Looking to Airbrush for Priming/Terrain in an Apartment
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 03:46:43 PM »
I´ve got an Aztec A480 Set in a nice wooden case and I´m really fine with it. A lot of different nozzles included and enough pots for the beginning. I bought some extra pots later to have more colors in stock while painting, but thats it. Easy to clean good paintflow. That was my first and last pistol and it lasts for more than 7 years now, should be a good reputation for the durability I guess.

I use an old Amazon Cartbox and 2x 5V 12cm PC Fans as Painting Booth. For my needings it works well. But I always use Acrylic colors. No idea how this would be with chemical based paints.
Cheers Delta
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:52:11 PM by DELTADOG »

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 03:59:03 PM »
Hi Hupp n at em....Link below  ;)

Cheap as chips and is absolutely fine for priming and scenery....compressor also includes a moisture trap thus avoiding sudden splurges as condensation builds up within the air hose if not present

I have been using this set up for a couple of years and still can't quite believe how robust it has proved to have been

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=121613276227&globalID=EBAY-GB

Spraying acrylic indoors you'll be fine (masks are best if you don't want coloured phlegm)...anything involving solvents and you'll need a double cartridge mask and proper ventilation
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:03:00 PM by Burnin Coal »
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 04:14:11 PM »
If you're using acrylic paints (ie basically water based) you won't need anything dedicated in the way of a spray booth or even extraction.

If you are spraying terrain then size and overspray will be your biggest issue. You'll need something just to stop the fine overspray from escaping... Something like a large cardboard box with one side cut out would do.

As to the air supply, an air canister is never going to be as useful as a small compressor. A compressor will be much much cheaper in the long run than refilling or exchanging canisters. There are plenty of "silent running" ones on the market.

If all you are going to do is prime and spray terrain then you don't need to worry about getting a fine needle size. Something like a 0.4 mm will do fine. That will bring the cost down significantly. Also as you are spraying a larger volume of paint then consider a larger 'bowl size' on your airbrush.

You won't go far wrong with any of the usual brand recommendations on airbrushes. Iawata and badger get great reviews although Harder and steenbeck (spelling) was my choice.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »
I'll be using only acrylics, so a pretty simple mask and no goggles would suffice then right? Thanks for the suggestions so far!  :)

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 05:37:46 PM »
I'll be using only acrylics, so a pretty simple mask and no goggles would suffice then right ?...

Dust mask will be fine for acrylics....but goggles  :o !?....we're not in an assembly line here  ;)

As Brandlin pointed out your biggest issue is likely to be overspray...not that I'm saying it's happened to me  ::) but imagine your nearest and dearest finding their dishes covered in a fine dusting of German grey  ;)

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 05:46:17 PM »
I use a Paasche Talon airbrush and have a Paasche compressor with tank.   I've only sprayed acrylics and do so in a relatively small room with no special ventilation (not even an opened window) and have not had any problems.

For a spray booth I use a big box, with the 'opened' top facing me so that the bottom of the box provides the 'back' of the booth.  The flaps make up the sides.   You can kind of get an idea in the following picture:

Probably not ideal, but it has been working for me.   

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 07:12:04 PM »
I use a Paasche Talon airbrush and have a Paasche compressor with tank.   I've only sprayed acrylics and do so in a relatively small room with no special ventilation (not even an opened window) and have not had any problems.

For a spray booth I use a big box, with the 'opened' top facing me so that the bottom of the box provides the 'back' of the booth.  The flaps make up the sides.   You can kind of get an idea in the following picture:

Probably not ideal, but it has been working for me.   

That's pretty much exactly what I was hoping to do, excellent.  :D

Offline Brandlin

• Mad Scientist
    • Brandlin
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 11:23:09 PM »
I'll be using only acrylics, so a pretty simple mask and no goggles would suffice then right? Thanks for the suggestions so far!  :)

I don't wear either. 

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 09:18:45 AM »
I don't wear either. 

I was cleaning my airbrush, so filled the cup with Vallejo airbrush cleaner. As I was manoeuvring it towards the cleaning station I accidently hit the trigger - right when the brush was pointing at my eyes. Fortunately I only pressed the trigger down and not back, resulting in an impromptu glaucoma test rather than an eyeful of thinner, but I now wear safety specs.

I also wear a mask, even with acrylics, and especially with Tamiya acrylics, as those paints stink (and cause cancer, according to the State of California  :o)

Seconded or thirded regarding getting a compressor. My old one was rather noisy, but my new one is about normal talking volume. Get one with a tank as well, as it will even out the airflow and will switch off when it's full.

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 03:06:57 PM »
I was cleaning my airbrush, so filled the cup with Vallejo airbrush cleaner. As I was manoeuvring it towards the cleaning station I accidently hit the trigger - right when the brush was pointing at my eyes. Fortunately I only pressed the trigger down and not back, resulting in an impromptu glaucoma test rather than an eyeful of thinner, but I now wear safety specs.

I also wear a mask, even with acrylics, and especially with Tamiya acrylics, as those paints stink (and cause cancer, according to the State of California  :o)

Seconded or thirded regarding getting a compressor. My old one was rather noisy, but my new one is about normal talking volume. Get one with a tank as well, as it will even out the airflow and will switch off when it's full.

Interesting about the Tamiya acrylics, I had planned on using the Vallejo ones as I am a fan of their paints in general.

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 03:36:37 PM »
I used Tamiya back when I built 1:35th scale models.  It was alcohol based and I used rubbing alcohol as a thinner.  I suspect that is what contributes to the funky smell.

Currently I use a combination of MIG and Vallejo air brush paints.   I really like the MIG stuff.   

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 04:10:07 PM »
Interesting about the Tamiya acrylics, I had planned on using the Vallejo ones as I am a fan of their paints in general.

It is annoying, as the Tamiya acrylics are excellent for airbrushing, although they pretty much suck when trying to use with a brush :-[

Vallejo do a range of airbrush paints as well. It's not as extensive as the model or game ranges, but being able to apply paint from the dropper straight to the airbrush cup saves a bit of time.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 04:11:59 PM »
I use an Iwata HP-B+, with a dedicated tanked compressor - it's Iwata too and has two fittings for air brushes. I use it daily and it's a workhorse.everyhting from hair lines to terrain is possible.
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »
You need a good respirator mask and a cleaning station, which will filter out some of the substance when you are cleaning the brush in between colors (which you will be constantly doing.) Fan and open windows will be enough to get you through it.

Once you get an airbrush you will never go back. If you can, I recommend getting a compressor to start and not wasting your time with the cans, which are wasteful, bad for the environment, and a pain in the arse in my opinion. YMMV.

I had an Aztec airbrush for years and didn't realize how poor it was until I bought a baseline steel Iwata brush. There's a world of difference.  Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't bother with the Aztec when you can get an Iwata for about $128 USD.

Good luck!