Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:30:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689713
  • Total Topics: 118289
  • Online Today: 768
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed to start a Doom project  (Read 2021 times)

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
Help needed to start a Doom project
« on: May 11, 2016, 01:18:44 PM »
Hi All

Could anyone point me in the direction of monsters, demons and any other gribblies that fit the look of the Doom games? I'm aware there have been official Doom minis and board games in the past, but these tend to go for insane amounts of money. Cheers

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Help needed to start a Doom project
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 02:01:56 PM »
Which version of Doom?

Might be worth posting a few pics of what you want matched - at least that way people who aren't too familiar with the game (!) can still assist you. :)

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 02:17:22 PM »
Hi All

Could anyone point me in the direction of monsters, demons and any other gribblies that fit the look of the Doom games? I'm aware there have been official Doom minis and board games in the past, but these tend to go for insane amounts of money. Cheers
The Doom Boardgame (with plastic miniatures) isn't that expensive over here. They pop up quite regularly in bring & buys (depending on your location 'current prices' may be quite different). It's the expansion that fetches insane prices over here (Belgium).
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline gmanrocks

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 02:34:08 PM »
Which version of Doom?

Might be worth posting a few pics of what you want matched - at least that way people who aren't too familiar with the game (!) can still assist you. :)

Something along the lines of this new trailer would be good.

The Doom Boardgame (with plastic miniatures) isn't that expensive over here. They pop up quite regularly in bring & buys (depending on your location 'current prices' may be quite different). It's the expansion that fetches insane prices over here (Belgium).

Oh cool. I'll keep my eyes peeled and hopefully catch one at a decent price. Thanks for the tip.

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 12:37:37 AM »
There's also a very old line of metal Doom figures from Reaper that also pop up on Ebay from time to time, but they tend to be on the pricey  side.

If you go after the board game, keep your expectations in check.  I've got a copy and the figures are a bit small (closer to 25mm than 28mm) and they're pretty marginal in terms of current quality standards.

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 09:09:30 PM »
I've got a copy of the Doom FFG game that's doing me no good at all if you want to make me an offer. Postage might be a wee bit hefty though - it's a packed box. You can definitely tell it's the daddy of descent.

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 09:11:02 PM »
Sorry just realised we're not in the Bazaar. Can post in there if you want.

Offline mrgrigson

• Librarian
    • The Overloaded Queue
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2016, 06:26:36 PM »
I was working on something like this myself for a while. My thoughts:

* the human-sized boardgame minis are indeed on the small side. Things like the cacodemons, Mancubi, and any other big monsters do fine. The cyberdemons are sufficiently imposing. The sculpting on any and all of them is soft.

* for Imps, I was going to use Barbed Devils from Reaper http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/barbed/latest/03574. Expensive, but still cheaper than finding any original models.

* For the revenants, I was going with crossing GW skeleton bits with Necron torsos.

* For zombie troopers, I was thinking of the Copplestone zombie troopers for the majority of them, plus some of the old Warzone models. GW Catachan troopers Nazi zombie heads from West Wind's Secrets of the Third Reich are another way to go for the shotgun/HMG troopers that were always supposed to be a little more alert.

* For alternate flying head monsters, I'd suggest the eye beasts from Reaper's Bones line. http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/eye%20beast/sku-down/77043

* And for the biggest, baddest cyberdemon of them all, I did have a go at replicating http://theminiaturespage.com/workbench/44044/. At least, I bought the original model. He's still sitting in the box.

(edited to add:) Aaah! Found the project I was thinking of: The Iron Dream Tournament! Check this out for Doom-y miniatures action. Many of the models here are from the boardgame. http://zugrub.chez-alice.fr/negromundheim/IDTV/idt5report.html

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 06:30:13 PM by mrgrigson »