Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:12:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686613
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warhammer Quest Silver Tower  (Read 15770 times)

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
Re: Wrhammer Quest Silver Tower
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2016, 10:36:08 AM »
The FLGS here, less than 150 yards from the GW store, has it down as a pre-order, with added goodies, for £72.  I was, however, hoping for a new WHQ, not an AoS add-on, no sale here.

What's the store name and do they sell online?!!!  ;)

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
I picked up a copy from an ebay seller for £76. The sorceror is one of the nicest models I have seen for a long time, cannot wait to paint that guy up. The familiars look great too. In fact, all the bad guys (apart from the sakven and weird coffee table goblins) will be added to my chaos army. The good guys and anything left will be thrown back on to ebay, maybe painted, look like interesting figures to paint.

Sorry I'm not joining in the GW bashfest, though I am thinking of going along to a few random threads to tell folks I won't be buying their stuff.

Offline Skyven

• Scientist
  • Wargaming on Skye
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2016, 11:47:51 AM »
Dark Sphere in  London had a pre-order special of the box plus the two White Dwarfs for £71.25, but seem to have sold the 80 or so they were allotted already...

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Warhammer Quest Silver Tower
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2016, 11:53:29 AM »
http://www.incomgaming.co.uk/products/warhammer-quest-silver-tower

The price was a pre-order for today in shop.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2016, 11:54:59 AM »
What was the relationship, if any, between Advanced Heroquest (which I remember) and Warhammer Quest (which was "after my time")?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2016, 11:57:47 AM »
Totally different games.  Heroquest (By Milton Bradley) and Advanced Heroquest was GW.  WHQ was a more Roleplaying version of the standard dungeoneering game.

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2016, 12:35:40 PM »
Although I hate AoS, I'm really digging this and will be incorporating it into classic Warhammer Quest. I'll turn the sigmarine into a paladin. Just chop of the helmet and add a bare head. I look at it as a add on but I'm sure it's a fun game on its own. We have all been very critical of everything GW do, and rightly so, but their current range of board games (Execution Force, Betrayal at Calth, Deathwatch Overkill) have been very enjoyable and the quality is the highest in the business
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2016, 01:13:25 PM »
Sorry I'm not joining in the GW bashfest, though I am thinking of going along to a few random threads to tell folks I won't be buying their stuff.

Yeah, some people are so disinterested in GW and divorced from everything they do that they can't help but tell everyone how much they're not interested and why.  ;)

But back on topic, I rather like the look this set. AoS didn't grab me but a one box board game deal is very appealing. GW certainly know what they're doing. I've bought very little from them over the past couple of decades but these kind of releases in recent years have really got me. WQ was after my time so whether it's a re-imagining or a totally different game I don't mind.

By the way, in looking for the cheapest deal I found a number of webstores that had pre-orders but no prices given and only if you phoned them up! Wayland it is I suppose.

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2016, 09:54:26 PM »
Goodies? Are you talking about that Battle Mage promo card?
They are not GW webshop exclusive?

That 72 Pound deal seems is gone?

I am a bit worried about the size of the miniatures. I thougt those sigmarines were huge automatons but now the other minis seem to be in the same (38mm) scale or am I wrong?

Gosh I hate scalecreep.

Thanx Jere.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 11:10:13 PM by Jerekin »

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2016, 01:12:56 AM »
Dark Sphere in  London had a pre-order special of the box plus the two White Dwarfs for £71.25, but seem to have sold the 80 or so they were allotted already...

We sold the all online within a few hours of putting the offer up. We spent most of the day today messing around with the miniatures and my god, this is not a game for those new to the hobby! Between us we barely managed to get the models assembled without tears.  lol
never trust a horse, they make a commitment to shoes that no animal should make.

http://mystarikum.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline mhsellwood

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2016, 02:05:17 AM »
Note all the below is personal opinion so please keep that in mind.

Being stuck in the a**e end of nowhere (also known as Australia) I am going to be paying the exchange rate tax, but I will still be picking this up. All the miniatures vary between excellent and acceptable (high points: the Thaumaturge and the familiars, low point: goblin scuttlers) for me so worthwhile on that basis alone.

In terms of it being AoS and that being a barrier due to not being the old Warhammer setting. Can I propose an easy solution? Pretend it is the old Warhammer setting.  All of the models are readily equivalent to things in previous version of warhammer (scuttlers again being the real exception here, although the Thaumaturge also requires a bit of justification). The Tzaangor is a great model of something that has been in the Warhammer Fantasy setting since at least the Realms of Chaos books. The characters are all representative of standard tropes so apart from the Stormcast and the Fyre slayer you could use them in any setting. And even those two can be easily swapped out for alternatives (heavily armoured knight on foot - Stormcast, dwarf with two weapons - fyre slayer). Human cultists have been there since... anybody else remember the Purple Hand? Horrors are old news. Gaunt summoner = wizard. Familiars = familiars.

In terms of the game itself. No it is not Warhammer Quest with new models and new components. Yes it is a new game, drawing on a lot of what I see in modern Ameri-trash games. The initial reviews out so far are positive . Yes there is leveling (you gain new skills that you can keep between missions and treasure that you have a chance of retaining). Yes there is a lot of random generation. Yes expansions are already planned and will be available on release day.

In terms of price. Compare to Level 7: Omega Protocol. Similar style of game, but Level 7 has much reduced random generation and no leveling (can keep items between missions but these are very limited). It costs AUD70 (through Amazon) for the game which includes 37 soft plastic models of much lower quality than in Silver Tower and for me have no use outside of Level 7. So if buying for the models Silver Tower gives me higher quality miniatures that I can use in my games of AoS (which I play.. shock horror, feel free to disregard my opinion now as I clearly am a halfwit with no idea of what a good game is) and at a cost of AUD4 per model versus AUD2. In terms of game play Level 7 is good but what I have read suggests that Silver Tower will be comparable in gameplay.

Overall, I am very excited for it, roll on next week.

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
There are Reviews and SHops who already have them? I thougt release is next saturday damn. Any links?

So I can test the game in the FLGS and preorder it then, if I am lucky?

@mhs: Originally I had the same plan, but I am still struggling with me, because I am just not sure if the aesthetics (iconogography, proportions, anorganic CGI, clusterfuck of Details) are to OTT for Old Warhammer.

I don't like the Gobbos but they doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If I remember correctly in the Northern Wastes were some Chaos Goblin Tribes. Models are mabye a bit to uniform still. Wasted potential.

Offline nic-e

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mystarikum
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2016, 06:20:12 PM »
There are Reviews and SHops who already have them? I thougt release is next saturday damn. Any links?

So I can test the game in the FLGS and preorder it then, if I am lucky?

@mhs: Originally I had the same plan, but I am still struggling with me, because I am just not sure if the aesthetics (iconogography, proportions, anorganic CGI, clusterfuck of Details) are to OTT for Old Warhammer.

I don't like the Gobbos but they doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If I remember correctly in the Northern Wastes were some Chaos Goblin Tribes. Models are mabye a bit to uniform still. Wasted potential.

Games workshop has started a new habit of sending out review/display copies ahead of the release. We had renagade,deathwatch,calth and this game all the week before the pre order date to allow us to get familiar with the game.

Offline grubman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2016, 08:24:09 PM »
Ranty...

I'm not sure when it happened, but over the last 4 or 5 years I've become rather grognardish when it comes to RPGs and Miniature Games.  I feel like one by one everything I've gotten real pleasure out of playing has been taken from me, twisted, and destroyed beyond anything I recognize.  To me this game is almost an insult.  Something that has been beloved for decades has been revived, but as an abomination by upstarts who "just don't get it" when it comes to everything players thought was cool about Warhammer Fantasy.

I'm not a hater, and I'm happy for the people who will enjoy this, and yeah, I know I can still play the game I have...it just makes me a little sad and betrayed for some reason (and I know that's silly).
Mice-Aat-Arms Miniatures and Rules: https://rrbminis.com/mice-at-arms/

Offline Vindice

• Scientist
    • And Then Dice Happened
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2016, 08:29:50 PM »
This happened to us WFRP players with second edition. They wiped out huge chunks of the Empire in the Storm of Chaos and remade entire other nations in a way that defied all logic and playability - all in the name of WFB. Tickles me pink how many WFB players are reacting to the same being done to them.