Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:48:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. Wolfswood rangers 13/3  (Read 82247 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 27/10 Claymore Longbowmen
« Reply #315 on: October 28, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
I find they match up really well. They share very similar proportions as well. I snapped a couple of comparisons just for interest.

Perry Agincourt French/English, Claymore French Infantry

Perry Agincourt English, Claymore English Archers

Claymore French Men-at-arms, Perry Agincourt and Perry War of the Roses Men-at-arms

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #316 on: October 28, 2019, 03:28:21 PM »
Going through some old photos, I never posted this little slice of life, did I?

Reckognize the building Knight-Captain Tyr? I still have one that I haven't bothered assembling.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #317 on: October 28, 2019, 08:20:49 PM »
I've got a week's holiday at the moment and have been able to get a bunch of hobby done, so here's picture number three for today.

Loved Knight-Captain Tyr's take on Fireforge's Northmen, so I had a go myself and I'm really happy. Think I'll make a whole ten man unit of these.

What do you think?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 28/10 More cavalry kitbashing
« Reply #318 on: October 29, 2019, 12:52:25 AM »
I like the look of it! At first I thought the Perry arms might be a little scrawny on the Fireforge body, but in retrospect they look fine, especially given how much padding is on the Northmen bodies! Looking forward to seeing more!

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #319 on: October 29, 2019, 07:59:49 AM »
Going through some old photos, I never posted this little slice of life, did I?

Reckognize the building Knight-Captain Tyr? I still have one that I haven't bothered assembling.

Assembling these was honestly one of the worst experiences hobbywise - all the more so since Norba use a really nasty type of resin I seem to be mildly allergic to. That said, yours seems to have gone together far better and more seamlessly than mine did - looks really good.

Cheers for the comparison pics. Might have tipped me toward buying a few of the Claymore range.

And the mounted knight looks excellent. Really nice work sculpting the furs - happy to have inspired :) Which House will they end up as?
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2019, 08:36:55 AM »
Thank you!

For the knights, I think they will be Starks. They would work well as Umbers or Karstarks, but I think I want a mounted Jon Snow to lead the unit so Stark is more natural.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2019, 10:05:01 PM »
I haven’t got any of the FF northmen yet, but I like what you’ve done with that one...going to add some to my next order

:)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #322 on: November 17, 2019, 05:21:49 PM »
Knight-Captain Tyr's excellent work with the Fireforge Northmen in his Black Order thread inspired me to get started on my own.

Previous units in this army have come about in a more ad hoc fashion, slowly building with what was released and became available. While the Northmen shouldn't be too uniform I wanted a little bit more in the ranks. I'm in the process of inventory and replacing some models from the other infantry units, but I've also build a new unit of spears.

For these I limited myself to three kits; Fireforge Northmen infantry, Oathmark human infantry and Victrix vikings. All the models in the unit wear some form of brigandine/coat of plates, and have the same model of spear which helps the uniformity. They will also all have round shields, but probably an even mix of wolf's head shields and plain rounds.

One of the exceptions to the above kit limitations, the standard bearer has a Frostgrave Barbarian head:

Nine models using Fireforge bodies and arms with Victrix and Oathmark :

And nine with Oathmark bodies, Fireforge arms and Victrix/Oathmark/Frostgrave heads:

What do you think?

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 17/11 Kitbashing more spearmen
« Reply #323 on: November 17, 2019, 05:54:49 PM »
I'm liking how the Victrix heads look on them! Out of interest, where'd the Resin officer chap come from?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2019, 06:20:54 PM »
They are both from Fireforge's kickstarter with the Northmen. The quality has apparently been varied. Mine have visible 3d-printer striations on heads and cloaks and the weapons are soft to the point of useless but I have heard that quality has improved. The sculpts themselves are solid, just the casts and resin that's iffy.

Edit: It occured to me now that it's a kickstarter exclusive, so you won't find it on their store.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 06:36:15 PM by Ogrob »

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #325 on: November 17, 2019, 07:50:04 PM »
A really effective looking mix

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #326 on: November 24, 2019, 11:29:33 AM »
Fresh from competing in the LPL, five heavy Northern cavalry using Fireforge Northmen bodies, Teuton heads and Perry knight arms. I painted their shields grey, and the leader model dark haired and with black fur thinking he could represent Jon Snow mounted since my other Winterfell Knight unit is lead by Rob Stark. He is built from Fireforge's Young Wolf mounted, but with arms replaced and using plastic horse and legs instead of the resin. The resin horse could barely stand it was so wobbly.

Unfortunately I only snapped an unpainted picture without proper background, but you can see the build and the greenstuff work:

And painted, slightly larger than LPL allows:

What do you think?

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wherein I paint Game of Thrones. 24/11 Northern Cavalry painted
« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2019, 11:41:35 AM »
think they look fantastic !

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2019, 12:43:16 PM »
Agree completely, you’ve done an excellent job with the cavalry...makes me want to go and buy some of the new FF sprues immediately.

Have you thought about unit sizes or are you more focussed upon churning out more goodness?

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2019, 12:45:56 PM »
Mostly I build for fun, but I am sticking to even fives because I believe that is what Oathmark will use. I have at least one opponent who may be interested in some mass battle at some point, but we're really just playing skrimish games at the moment so I have more figures than I ever use.