Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:14:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: NEW - Eureka Miniatures 28mm 'pre contact' Maori figures pics  (Read 18129 times)

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
Re: NEW - Eureka Miniatures 28mm 'pre contact' Maori figures pics
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2016, 12:08:11 AM »
I received a reply from Empress - later period figures reportedly are possible, depending on demand. I sent a link to this thread. 

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2016, 12:53:30 AM »
@Arteis
Yes, the Perry's no doubt are fully conversant with NZ stuff and I suspect that with their expanding Victorian line that perhaps in the future something may come of that. Their Cape Wars Brits and BIF note the utility for the NZ wars so it seems a logical extension.

@Goliad.
That's interesting news. It's a natural fit for Empress off course and as I mentioned above only an extra 4-6 codes would probably do the job. One hopes that 300+ initial commitments would be enough to show that it'd be a solid start to getting them done and probably would more than push along the entire line for Empress and garner more wide spread enthusiasm/support. Having Paul Hicks sculpts that were the same style to match the 1st Maori War line would also be a nice fit.

I agree with Arteis however, that we get some solid research to whom ever does them and make a good job of it, allowing maximum utility of the sculpts.

Hopefully, Empress and/or Eureka will run with it...

Currently we have roughly folks saying they'll pony up for;

400 Maoris types
300 Ranger types

..not bad after 4 days....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 02:00:52 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
    • My 'Dressing the Lines' blog
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2016, 01:46:12 AM »
Yep, good research is essential. I think back, for example, to Old Glory when they did a range of militia/armed constabulary in rapaki kilts, but left them in bare feet instead of socks and boots.

Roly Hermans
Paraparaumu, New Zealand

Offline chicklewis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2016, 04:27:25 PM »
I'm good for twenty Maori, and cannot wait for them to be available. 
"Sufficient for the day is the evil thereof."

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2016, 08:34:40 AM »
Ok prospective buyers,

Looks like the pot is stirred.

I/you/we need each others help now...

I described what figures I anticipated  would be good to fill out the 1860s period but now can I ask from you all what you'd like to see within the bounds of the figures we have discussed i.e. 1860s Maoris and Forest Rangers/Militia.

How many types, head swap options, figure pose types and basically anything else you think could be added to round out the 1860s as a viable period using, most likely, the perry BIF british as as the basis of the British Forces and these figures as the issuing troops that are needed.

...your thoughts will be sent  to the prospective mini company for their considerations...so NOW is the time to have your say...strike while the iron is hot gentlemen, you may just get what you wish for...

Please speak up so these ideas can be rolled into the latest release notes for the existing Maori figures by Eureka...

Cheers

Happy Wanderer
« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 08:36:23 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2016, 09:15:41 AM »
My suggestion as a 'starter for ten points' - feel free to add to or amend!

Forest Rangers:
- Four rangers in four separte skirmishing poses.
- Also an officer as per the pic:

Maori:
- mix of half-a-dozen skirmish types in part western dress (as per the Maori on the far right in first pic below)
- variations in the western dress
- maybe one or two types doing haka
- could include an obviously kupapa figure or two like the bottom pic of a Maori scout.

Armed Constabulary
- four constables in about four separate skirmish poses
- mix of shirts/hats as per the pic
- also one officer as per the pic (though posed to match the constables)

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:54:05 AM by Arteis »

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »
Hi, some ideas:

4 x Forest Rangers Skirmishing with Terry carbines
4 x Forest Rangers "character pack" - maybe including a couple figs wearing Rapaki/kilt with carbine (The Forest Rangers had probably started wearing the kilt), and a "grizzled NCO" type with bowie knife.
1 x  officer figure
1x "Von Tempsky" specialty figure

4 x skirmishing "Pakeha (European) Maori" with mixed weapons (the image below looks like Tom Adamson has a Terry carbine. Note the socks) as Ranger/Militia scouts or to join the Kupapa.

4 x skirmishing "kupapa" Maori

4 x Militia/Constabulary in Rapaki/kilt, shirts, mixed hats and snider rifles
4 x Constabulary in uniform with Rapaki/kilt, snider rifles
4 x officer/NCO/bugler pack for milita/constabulary

4 x Skirmishing later Maori
4 x advancing Maori with hand weapons
4 x Later Maori character pack including leaders

Maybe separate heads (or hats!) for more variety.

Well that's a wish list - what a manufacturer is willing to do will probably differ - but got to put it out there!

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2016, 07:44:39 AM »
Some excellent suggestions gents and visual ideas...I believe we should have the basis for the types to suggest to Eureka...we shall see where it takes us.

I think the priority should be Late War Maori types and Forest Rangers. These should come with head swap for maxim utility...let's say 5 Maori heads and 5 'Victorian' wooly beards white men types.

The specifics of these would encompass the ideas proposed. Goliad's extensive list lays out some nice details along with the other suggestions and pics...to me, that would be an ideal list.

Fingers crossed these minis materialise in one form or another.

I suspect that getting a few more figures done would be to range's benefit as the more variation provides more options for players to buy into the period as a whole. That off course is a commercial decision for Eureka.

I also think that (ideally) 8 figures of Early period Maori with muskets would tie in very well with the 17 pre contact Maori figures Eureka already have for maximum utility of this range in the Musket Wars and 1840s....though they still work in the 1860s as well.

Happy Wanderer
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 08:10:01 AM by Happy Wanderer »

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2016, 08:34:05 AM »
Hi All  :)

Just to chip in very briefly, but just to reassure you that we (Empress) are following this thread with great interest. There has been some really useful discussion and we are most certainly taking note.

We aren't in a position to start working on sculpts straight away (production is planned 8 to 12 + months in advance generally) but I can definitely say that this show of interest in the period has persuaded us to look at our current plans for this range.

We do offer a range sponsorship scheme and this 'can' jump queues. Perhaps you guys could consider banding together and work something out? If this is of interest then drop us an e mail for details.

A big thanks to everyone who's contributed so far, and feel free to mail us directly with suggestions and feedback.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Arteis

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2016, 11:30:49 PM »
That is great news, Keith.  It would be a natural extension to your current range.

In the meantime, I might contact Bruce Cairns (65th Regiment of Foot Hickety-Pips reenactor, and also technical advisor for a number of NZ movies set during the colonial NZ Wars).  He may give some useful advice on uniforms and equipment.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2016, 03:21:11 PM »
Gents,

Just to let you know, this thread, or purpose, is not 'dead'.

I'm hoping to have some more info on the proposed figures we have discussed thus far in the coming days. For now though, it is excellent that the two leading figure manufacturers of Maori figures can see the potential...an untapped opportunity IMHO.

Whom ever is prepared to run with it, it would seem, that they have already several hundred figure orders ready to go...and that's just a handful of people thus far...

Regards

Happy Wanderer

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
Eureka have just announced a new release bundle of 18 Maori figures, the new Tribal rule book and a MDF Maori canoe.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #57 on: June 21, 2016, 04:03:10 PM »
Nick Stern on the Maori Wargaming egroup has pledged 50+ figures (he can't post here yet).

;)

(For some reason he hadn't been accepted on the LAF registration yet..maybe an administrator can sort that for him)  :)

Offline Sunhelmet

• Lurker
« Reply #58 on: June 21, 2016, 10:43:52 PM »
Nick Stern reporting for duty.

I am happy to make a pledge for 20 Forest Rangers and 30 Maori in European clothing.

Offline Happy Wanderer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
A nice post by Arteis on getting these figures done.

https://arteis.wordpress.com/2016/06/26/1860s-maori-wars-and-ww2-dutch/

At the moment there is nothing else to add beyond what he said but the more people we can get the better so if this subject is of interest to you, or anyone you know, then please seize the day and join in on this grassroots effort by pledging to buy some of these figures, the first of their type to be sculpted.

Cheers

Happy Wanderer