Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:16:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Yanks have arrived  (Read 6481 times)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
The Yanks have arrived
« on: January 20, 2009, 02:57:27 PM »
Our boys in blue are ready for anything, accompanied by the newest in Steam Technology. Our troops ride into battle aboard the Smith-Johannson Armored Steam Conveyance, and protected by the M-2 Mobile Machine Gun Emplacement.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: The Yanks have arrived
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »
Like it, what range are the infantry from?
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
Yeehaw! Very, very nice. ;D

I suspect they are Tiger Miniatures?

There seems to be a growing interest in Americans of late... Bullshott and Ray Rivers for example and Thunderchicken is also building a force too.

Having seen these I can definately see the attraction.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 03:55:26 PM by Malamute »
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 03:17:43 PM »
Yeah, they look like the Tigers. They look great! Nice dynamic scupts with great paint jobs. The vehicles are awesome too!

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »
I was actually very disappointed in the miniatures. Most of the detail was painted on. Some of the proportions were odd. Sculpting was all over the place. Belts went nowhere or disappeared. Some had belt buckles, some not. I'm not sure if I'll pick up any more. I'm thinking of using the Artizan plains infantry, which is more in keeping with my timeline, but I always liked the leggings of the later 19th century. Tiger definitely has the most variety though.
-J

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
I was actually very disappointed in the miniatures. Most of the detail was painted on. Some of the proportions were odd. Sculpting was all over the place. Belts went nowhere or disappeared. Some had belt buckles, some not. I'm not sure if I'll pick up any more. I'm thinking of using the Artizan plains infantry, which is more in keeping with my timeline, but I always liked the leggings of the later 19th century. Tiger definitely has the most variety though.
-J

Oohh, thats not too good. Have you considered Redoubt, they have a limited, but very nice collection of Marines in their Boxer rebellion range.

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:05:59 PM »
Very nice, I especially like the M-2 Mobile Machine Gun Emplacement ... lol

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 07:43:40 PM »
 :-*

Excellent minis, love the vehicles!

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 07:59:02 PM »
Very nice - I'm looking forward to see what else is added to this force. Is the Smith-Johannson Armored Steam Conveyance a modified Scheltrum vehicle?

I agree with the comments regarding Tiger - some of the detail is poor and the priportions can be odd, especially on hands and arms. However, the faces have lots of character and the sculpting on the newer figures is certainly better. Sources of late 19th century US figures that I know of:

Redoubt - Boxer Rising US marines - the best of all of these.
Parroom Station / London War Room - US infantry - nice sculpting, a bit more slender than Redoubt
Tiger - US infantry, cavalry, marines & artillery - larger than both of the above ranges
Old Glory - Boxer Rising US marines & a full slection of forces for Spanish-American War. I've not seen thes, but from previous experience I would guess they are the shortest of the lot - of similar build to the Parroom Station but a bit shorter.

My own US Marines will be using Redoubt as the core troops, plus some Parroom command figures to avoid duplication of officers. From Tiger I have the US marine gun on landing carriage and their Beach Landing Party set - both nice sets. I also have some marines with Gatlings on ship mounts (useful for steamtech vehicles) and an army mountain gun (crew to be painted as marines). Steamtech still to be decided  ;)

Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »
Great looking group and the vehicles go well with them.

Gives me more inspiration to get started my Americans. I'm going with the Artizan Designs Plains Infantry.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 10:42:41 PM »
Alasdair's going for Perry plastics (possibly with extra pieces from the bits box) plus a few Redoubt ACW (sharpshooters and skirmishers, bargain find on ebay) and some Foundry ECW (Dave Thomas bargain pack)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Very nice - I'm looking forward to see what else is added to this force. Is the Smith-Johannson Armored Steam Conveyance a modified Scheltrum vehicle?

It's part Scheltrum, part Atlantis toy, part other stuff. The Old Glory & Parroom are too small to match everything else I have.
-J

Offline Nazrat

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »
So where is that armored car from?  I'd love to have some of those for my agents of L.A.S.T. in Volley, Steel, and Flesh.

Jerry
"I can't understand why you don't get any mail from me. Perhaps it's because I haven't been writing."  Groucho

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 04:19:03 PM »
What is my best shot for trying to get US Navy from that era? I find plenty of infantry, but being as I am totally new to this style of models, I am a bit lost.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 04:21:17 PM »
What is my best shot for trying to get US Navy from that era? I find plenty of infantry, but being as I am totally new to this style of models, I am a bit lost.

Try Old Glory Spanish American War or Mexican American War sets
argsilverson