Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:53:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Secret Weapon Tablescapes Dungeon Tiles (PVC)  (Read 4223 times)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1084069684/tablescapes-dungeons-modular-rpg-dungeons-by-secre

Backed it...for now. Curious to see how much shipping will be. Although I'm not a big fan of PVC, it's perfect for scenery like this.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: (Kickstarter) Secret Weapon Tablescapes Dungeon Tiles (PVC)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »
Also backed for now. I'll probably drop this one though as I think shipping will kill me but I'm keen to see the updates etc and if it comes with a huge amount of goodies and shipping is better than I expect then I'll stick with it.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 08:00:12 PM »
I backed it as well. It supposedly matches up nearly perfectly to the DF stuff, which I'm looking into purchasing.
"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

Gold foil, diamond-etched, creme filled, limited-edition, collector's item number one anger issues

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 09:41:52 PM »
The way they do the walls will make mixing with other makes (either DF or Hirst derived) difficult, you will likely always end up using these pieces in one discrete area and the other make in another with minimal mixing.

Also need to check the spacing of the 1" grid in the corridors and how that works with other makes (and more importantly how it transfers from corridor to room).
The standard 2" wide corridor can be 2x1" squares wide or 1/2"..1"..1/2" depending on how the wall pieces fit. The 2x1" full squares being by far the best option for gaming. It may be that a special transfer tile will need to be created to go from one to another.

Another potential problem with these is that a 1"-5ft scale 20ft wide room is always going to be 25ft due to the gap between the wall and the edge of the floor tile. Will make copying actual D&D module style floorplans very difficult.

These look great, but (from experience with my DF and ITAR'S/Hirst dungeon pieces) I get the impression that they are better suited to gaming without the grid, just using them as a themed background for measure based games.

Offline Digitarii

• Scientist
  • I don't suffer from insanity. I ENJOY it!
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 11:59:02 PM »
...Another potential problem with these is that a 1"-5ft scale 20ft wide room is always going to be 25ft due to the gap between the wall and the edge of the floor tile. Will make copying actual D&D module style floorplans very difficult.

These look great, but (from experience with my DF and ITAR'S/Hirst dungeon pieces) I get the impression that they are better suited to gaming without the grid, just using them as a themed background for measure based games.

My intent is to use them with Frostgrave and Otherworld.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
For skirmish games like those this set will be superb. You can make scenarios match the layout.

With a measure (as opposed to grid) based game accurate sizing is less important than when trying to recreate a given floorplan.

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 06:16:30 PM »
I've been looking for something like this.  I'm going to go ahead and back it for now. 
Mike

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 07:17:45 PM »
I like the looks of this... I am seriously considering it.  I never backed any of the Dwarven Forge stuff because they screwed everyone outside of the USA on shipping, but this one has some nice international distribution it seems, which should make a pledge more reasonable for those of us not in the US of A.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 09:36:50 PM »
I'll step in address Dwarven Forge "screwing" people outside of the USA.  Simply not the case.  US shipping is criminally expensive.  That's just how it is.  Now, they could have maybe sought out a European distributor, but they're hardly "screwing" people.

With regard to this project - I stated in another thread I was actually interested...until I saw the pieces.  Having used a lot of similar stuff (ie. Dwarven Forge) the biggest problem I foresee is the size of the pieces.  Even with a base mat which is sticky or solid you'll end up with a really wobbly dungeon if you use so many small or thin pieces.  I don't even much care for the 2x2 squared pieces from Dwarven Forge --- much prefer the older larger resin ones.  You even see a bit of it in the promo video -- where touching one surface causes a lot of pieces to shift etc.  I would have been pretty interested in the railway bits but the tiles/pieces are just too small/numerous.

I don't think the hassle is worth the increase in modularity.  I love me some Dwarven Forge but even I get a little flustered sometimes setting up a big dungeon.  Using smaller pieces would make it even worse!  lol
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 04:38:04 AM »
They have some nice bones add ons going on at the moment.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 05:45:00 AM »
With regard to this project - I stated in another thread I was actually interested...until I saw the pieces.  Having used a lot of similar stuff (ie. Dwarven Forge) the biggest problem I foresee is the size of the pieces.  Even with a base mat which is sticky or solid you'll end up with a really wobbly dungeon if you use so many small or thin pieces.  I don't even much care for the 2x2 squared pieces from Dwarven Forge --- much prefer the older larger resin ones.  You even see a bit of it in the promo video -- where touching one surface causes a lot of pieces to shift etc.  I would have been pretty interested in the railway bits but the tiles/pieces are just too small/numerous.

I don't think the hassle is worth the increase in modularity.  I love me some Dwarven Forge but even I get a little flustered sometimes setting up a big dungeon.  Using smaller pieces would make it even worse!  lol

I agree...so my plan will be to mount rooms and passageways on top of MDF. So more like a Warhammer Quest setup, but then more 3D and waaaaaaaay lighter in weight than resin or plaster.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 11:27:09 AM »
Yep, that would work.  Particularly if you created "sections" on MDF board etc. 

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 11:53:04 AM »
That is the same I am doing with my cavern based on the Acheson plastic floor tiles. Will lose some flexibility of layout but gain massively on ease of set up and ease of play. The platforms and bridge spans etc are really difficult to use in live gaming as they topple with the slightest nudge.
Fixing them together in a set of pre-made modules is the best option.

I like the Monster lairs that have stared appearing in this KS, that is something I have been after for a long long time. A good selection of them by the end will get me to back this project even though I don't need the caverns/mines.

The Bones encounter sets are extremely good value too, the spiderfolk and stalagmite sets look to be about half price from the Reaper website.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 03:53:21 PM »
I'll step in address Dwarven Forge "screwing" people outside of the USA.  Simply not the case.  US shipping is criminally expensive.  That's just how it is.  Now, they could have maybe sought out a European distributor, but they're hardly "screwing" people.

I am fully aware of the costs of shipping outside of the US as of late.  However, I take offense when free shipping is offered to US residents, but no equivalent voucher or discount is offered to international backers. If your price structure includes a certain amount of shipping, you should offer that amount to others.

To add to this, considering their KS projects raised several million dollars, it should not have been too hard to find an international distributor like Reaper has set up.  I mean, this SW project is going to be wayyy smaller, but they have set that up to open up their market to a broader audience.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 08:53:40 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of distributors that would gladly take their money and everyone would be better off. Wayland games in the uk would probably do it, Aetherworks(?) in Ozzy probably too.
I have to say hopping is actually quite reasonable on this. $31 to ship to NZ, Although, funnily enough I checked out the shipping price for two sets and it was more than double, $66. That's weird, although I guess it's probably something to do with a weight or size threshold.