Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:15:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: My 15mm fantasy stuff  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Hybrid Alpha

• Assistant
My 15mm fantasy stuff
« on: August 11, 2016, 08:58:01 PM »
After making a few posts when I first joined I reverted back to lurking on the forums. I thought it was about time I stopped lurking and started contributing.

I've started to paint a few 15mm armies so I can play some big fantasy battles (set in the Warhammer Old World). I've based the first few units for Kings of War. The base sizes have been reduced by 3/5th of those given in the rules. However I'm not 100% sure if I'll use Kings of War or another system so I might change the basing at a later date. I used to enjoy playing Warmaster and I believe Hail Caesar is the spiritual successor of Warmaster in many ways. So I might tweak Hail Caesar at some point, or I could just use Warmaster?

The start of my Empire/Kislev army.  Two units of  Talabecland Handgunners and two units of Kislev Horse Archers.
They were painted a while ago, I just did a few touch ups and then re-based them. The horse archers were painted over two decades ago.

The start of the undead army - they are heavily converted Irregular Miniatures Arab Extra Heavy Cavalry.

So far I've enjoyed working on this project and I think the size of the miniatures should allow me to play some really big games on my 8x5 table and I can play a normal sized game of kings of war on a reduced size table when I don't feel like setting up the big table  :)

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
Re: My 15mm fantasy stuff
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 09:04:24 PM »
Those skeletons are fantastic, the painting in particular.  It never ceases to amaze me how a little bit of paint can turn Irregular's figures from lumpy and blah to gorgeous and characterful.

15mm is a really hard scale to do conversions, because it's large enough that you can't cheat the way you sometimes can in 6mm, but small enough to make any changes not only fiddly, but fragile.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 10:17:56 PM »
These are lovely - the skeletons in particular. Great work on the conversions!

As far as rules go, have you tried Hordes of the Things? I've got right back into it recently (after a gap of 25 years) and it's a really terrific ruleset. You wouldn't need to rebase anything either. It wouldn't give you huge battles (unless you used several commands on each side), but you only need about 12 elements for a full army, so your Empire force is already a third of the way there. It might be a good "halfway house" to allow you to get plenty of use out of the armies as they muster ...

Offline Hybrid Alpha

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »
Thanks chaps  :)

The undead cavalry conversions were fun - lots of greenstuff, brass wire lances and heads from some old 15mm.co.uk skeletons I had lying around.

Hobgoblin - I've never played Hordes of the Things. I'll have to check them out. Having a "halfway house" would be a great way to keep me motivated  :)

This is what the undead cavalry looked like before, during and after the conversion.

Offline Warren Abox

• Scientist
    • War In A Box - New Location!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 11:13:50 PM »
Wow.  That's a lot more conversion than I realized.  Gotta give you the credit for the figures rather than Irregular.  Top notch stuff, and thanks for the peek at the pre-painted figures.  Gives me a whole new appreciation for the final product.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 11:29:49 PM »
Amazing! Im really stunned by the skeleton knights. Those are the true spirit of the hobby! Thank you for posting them!

Offline Grumbledook

• Scientist
    • It's a Hobby, not an Addiction!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 11:45:59 PM »
Your handgunners and horse archers are very nice, but those skeleton cavalry are fabulous! The conversion work is seamless and each figure has bags of character. Brilliant job...... How many more are you planning to do?

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 12:12:20 AM »
Wow! Good on you for de-lurking. Those figures deserve to be seen. Like everyone else, love your skeleton cavalry.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 05:33:54 AM »
Superb!! The skeleton cavalry are stunning, well done!! :)

Offline Steam Flunky

• Mastermind
  • Stop the world.I want to get off!
    • My Miniature collections on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 06:30:33 AM »

Very impressed.
Great painting, but those conversions..... :-*
laf medals by Robert  (steam flunky), auf Flickrhttps://www.flickr.com/photos/torq42/sets/

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 11:09:33 PM »
Amazing conversion work on those skelli Knights!

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 09:04:56 AM »
Brilliant conversions, my kind of project, here's an Empire captain I converted a few years ago
http://gunnerswargamming.blogspot.com.au/search/label/15mm%20Empire

« Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 09:10:53 AM by Gunner Dunbar »

Offline Hybrid Alpha

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 01:34:43 PM »
Thank you all for your kind words  :) Hopefully I will get some time to work on more today.

Grumbledook - I plan on converting 35 in total. I'm also planning on sculpting a few from scratch, just to see if I can.

Gunner Dunbar - What a great conversion! Despite looking through several manufacturers ranges, I couldn't find a Landsknecht with a pistol. I might have to do a similar conversion. Your work on your 15mm 40k and fantasy stuff is very inspiring.

Offline Gunner Dunbar

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2016, 05:25:19 AM »
The best thing about your undead knights is that you have taken some pretty ordinary figures and made them into something very special, I know it sort of goes against the look of having the skulls visible, but have you considered adding a few with knights helmets on? Doing some from scratch, hmm tough, especially horses, will look forward to seeing how they turn out, myself I find I can do a pretty good conversion but struggle with sculpting, but I haven't given it a really good go, it'll be an awesome looking unit when your done.