Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:33:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Thaw of '46  (Read 80837 times)

Offline rabenga

• Librarian
  • I will paint that eventually...
Re: The Thaw of '46
« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2016, 08:17:41 PM »
I like it!  Start building!  No if only we could get the E-50 through E100 in 1/56.  I would be willing to scratch/bash the originals if someone would handle casting....
Remember the patina!

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2016, 10:45:58 PM »
Jeff at Die  waffenkammer is working on the e series tanks as part of his post 45 range

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »
Rich - yes, really looking forward to them (but it's understandable that we all get a bit bit impatient on occasion - especially when a new & fairly high profile game like Konflict '47 drops in our laps & of course that prompts the desire for these subjects). I know that Jeff is undoubtedly working hard to get the stuff out there, but being a small operation it means that it all takes time...(I note that the JTFM FB page hints at a possible Nov 14th release for some E series - I certainly hope so).

Rabenga - there is one model for an E-100 out there, it's a Gas-O-Line/Quarterkit one of a fictional Flak variant. It's 1/50 (& pre-painted like the Corgi models) & I understand them to be pretty decent (though I've not seen it 'in person' as it were) - at least as good as the now OOP Corgi models - though personally I'd repaint it. Normally Gas-O-Line models are pretty expensive (over €100) but they have an offer on this model, bringing it down to a less unreasonable €54.78 - still not exactly cheap I know.
Here's a link if you want to have a look: http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop/CID/579db9c4984a0f853f5681e8002797ab/function/itemPageDisplay/shopItemCode/GAS48605K

« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:43:14 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »
Pretty sure there is some E-series goodness on the way.
I need to extract my finger and get building...  my Scammell needs finishing and then on to the Centurion!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2016, 09:17:39 PM »
Back to things. Look, actual models!

...Other than that E-100. ... ...Damn that price.

Panzer IV with sloped armour (because yes, I am really late to the party with that idea).

*tell me if those pictures are too big; I think somewhere I can hear a phone user screaming

In a battlefield dominated by IS-4s, E-50s, and other heavy tanks, the ageing Panzer IV was more than outclassed. Whilst many went found use as Begepanzers or afield serving with Germany's allies, on the Eastern Front the Panzer IV and its predecessors could hardly hold their ground against a T-34/85 (itself being replaced by T-44s). Although already superseded, efforts were made to upgrade tanks already sitting on the production line. Modern sloped armour, a longer gun and an improved engine were part of the multitude of changes made (although there was little consistency between batches, as several technicians vied for control over the project). These allowed the Panzer IV to continue service as a secondary tank in German service for some time yet, but its time had already passed. Despite this, these upgraded IVs formed the bulk of the armour taking part in the failed invasion of the Dominion of Israel in the late 40s, with most of the more modern vehicles serving on the Eastern Front.

A Rubicon Panzer IV with some plasticard slapped on the front and sides and a spare gun leftover from that Panther which is still sitting unpainted. I'm not sure if I went overboard with the sloped armour; extending it all the way to the rear and replacing the engine with a Panther looking one. Most people seem to cut the armour off before the engine deck. The turret could've done with being built up a bit more, rather than using the existing one ...but, as is my constant excuse, I'll explain that away as nobody really caring about this project when there was shinier stuff like the E-series going on.

I've been going back and adding snow (or rather slush) to the bases of my infantry, to fit the theme of the army more. I thought it might work on a tank as well. How does it look? It covers up the amount of weathering I covered that thing in at least (god I love making my tanks look like wrecks ...its all the Post-Apocalyptic models). I couldn't find many references sources online for snow covered tanks which were between no snow at all and covered in a foot of it, so I made a guess at what some rapidly thawing snow would look like. Its just water effects and some white powder.  ...I like it. :)

I've a squad of riflemen almost done, and another one planned plus some more guys with Stg-44s. That's the priority stuff right now, but besides that another vehicle or two'll turn up to break up that monotony a bit. The plan's to have a playable army by the end of the month; so I can make some snowmen terrain pieces. ;)

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #80 on: November 08, 2016, 01:52:13 AM »
Excellent work! And with a backstory and all. Pity there aren't any WIP pictures, a tutorial would be great!

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2016, 04:22:04 PM »
Looks cool, I like the freehand dragon you did on the turret schurzen. As to the sloped armour, it looks good, implying a major design overhaul without getting too anachronistic.
 Ive been tempted by the Gas-O-Line stuff in the past (they used to do several E series, including a nice E-50 & standard, Maus-turreted E-100, but have since discontinued them - they occasionally turn up on Ebay) but was always put off by their price - considering that they'd need a re-paint.

Offline rabenga

• Librarian
  • I will paint that eventually...
« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2016, 04:55:45 PM »
Your K looks rad!  Good work on the build and the paint!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: November 15, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
A first attempt at making some SS.

Just a mash up of bits and bobs which came from me finding load of unbuilt Mantic Games corporation troopers (or whatever they call them, I think they're OOP now).

The rest's: a head from Dust, and a load of Wargames Factory bits (the gun being made of: the stock and magazine from an M16, body of an MP-40 and barrel from a PPSh-41, with an added muzzle).

The gun needs a repaint, but whatever. I went for some oakleaf camo, but with the armour still being white for a bit of contrast (assuming that the cloth parts are reversable white camo which has been switch to its autumn side, prior to replacing the uniform entirely with the spring variant).

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2016, 07:35:49 PM »
Hmm...to be honest, I would paint the middle of the body armour in white instead of black, because at first look...it looks like a female soldier with the dreaded boob armour

In other news...I was going to post a request for Mantic Games corporation troopers on the Bazaar. If you want to trade yours for some Wargame Factory Germans (I'll take some pictures later today), drop me a PM ;)

Offline Cambra

• Assistant
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2016, 08:12:23 PM »
Realy nice minis, keep them coming. I tought exactly the same as Predatorpt, the soldiers looks like a female soldier.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2016, 09:08:36 PM »
I just need to quit painting big black lines around everything, but I'm stuck with my cartoony style. What's pissing me off the most is the one along the body of the gun. It looks like they merged the charging handle with the ejection port. That I went for slimmer components rather than the chunky warlord bits and puffy trousers doesn't help the feminine look, though I could do some un-helmeted ones.

...I'd have made some female soldiers had the Nazis not been so opposed to women in any sort of combat role. :)

Ack, I only have enough of those guys for 2 8 men squads, and even then that's with way too many kneeling. Sorry mate, had I had another box spare I'd have ...I'd have started a jungle fighters SS force with them. ;)

Are they really difficult to get? They must be carried by some third party stockists still. :/

Anyhow, had this sitting for a while, but as they'll never see any in-game use well...

SS Panzermensch

A closely guarded secret of German military technology, disputed by some to not exist at all. In the late 40s the British S.O.E. discovered information that the Soviets had encountered such suits during the siege of Stalingrad, though it wouldn't be until their own agents fought off one years later during an attack at a Heavy Water plant that this could be verified.

In actuality the German Panzermensch concept had stagnated for years, another proposed wonder weapon. The heights of government were all for them, especially for propaganda purposes, but in practice they were highly unreliable and slow. Despite eventually capturing several suits, neither the Soviets or the British tested their own variants of the suits in combat. Unfortunately for the Germans the mere threat of these weapons led to advances in their Anti-Tank capabilities; which had more effect on the war effort than the Panzermensch ever would.

Yup, Power Armour. Had to.

I kind of like the idea of British agents encountering a couple of these guys during clandestine operations, or the Soviets facing off against them in city fighting (having them out in the open would be a bad idea). Pending the initial encounter the Soviets would've issued more PTRDs, leading the British to question the build up, but being how impractical the suits would've been that buildup went to waste as the Germans never fielded more than a handful at one time. ...I like Power Armour, but well, honestly they'd have been useless facing off against guys with AT weapons. :)

With CompanyB having an E-50 in the works that sparked me to think of a way to re-pupose that Tiger II I have sitting there. I'm thinking it'll do as an APC for these guys? ...Because they need something a bit more beefier to find than even the Panther APC (heh, no, I don't foresee using half of this stuff ever in a game obviously). :D

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2016, 09:35:23 PM »
It was worth a try - if you had any spare ones, I could trade them  ;)

I'm itching to try something similar to your conversions (I have enough Dust and SOTR heads for that) but I'm thinking about using the Defiance Marines torsos

The armor on them seems "primitive" enough to be used on WW2, specially with those big straps over the shoulders.

Can't wait to see what kind of APC you get for the Panzermensch ;) And don't worry, most of the things I've planned also won't be usable in game.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2016, 10:21:58 PM »
Those Defiance Games bodies would probably work with the Warlord plastics, which are pretty chunky. I'm not aware of what size they are, but they look Games Worshop sized?

Because I have no original ideas I was going to steal something similar to this E-50 APC.

Or this AMX variant.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:24:07 PM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2016, 10:24:34 PM »
You have my approval...and the skills to do it, lol. Looks good!