Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:17:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690961
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Slow-grow el cheapo Chaos army  (Read 1832 times)

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
Slow-grow el cheapo Chaos army
« on: August 17, 2016, 11:13:19 AM »
So I'm doing one of those "paint X points by Y month" challenges with my friend Tim to create Age of Sigmar forces (although I'm using square bases for maximum compatibility with other games). My goal for August is to paint:

1 Chaos sorcerer
2 familiars
and a unit of 10 Marauders

I am also trying to spend as little money on this thing as possible, so everything is gonna be made from models I already own, kitbashed bits or models I can acquire cheaply second-hand. Let's take a look at this month's progress so far:

The sorcerer and familiars. The sorcerer is the giveaway Morcar model from this year's Oldhammer weekend, and the familiars are Reaper Bones critters I had leftover from the Bones II Kickstarter. Looking at the photo, I see there are some spots I need to touch up.

Here is a closeup of one of the familiars:

This champion leads the unit of marauders. He's a Reaper Bones model and not a fantastic cast, but I bashed him out anyway. These marauders are green-themed, so I gave him some war paint to tie him in.

And here are the marauders so far. They're intended to be wretched, ragged cultists of Nurgle from among barbarian peoples, and they're a mixture of Wargames Factory and Gripping Beast Vikings, Frostgrave cultists, Mordheim militia, Mantic ghouls (I think?) and GW Flagellants plus shields from the ol' bits box.

So I just need to do another six marauders and I'm on track for August. I already have them put together, so I just need to get them primed and find some time to paint them.

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
Re: Slow-grow el cheapo Chaos army
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 11:59:08 AM »
Excellent idea to use models you already own to build an army....... My moods change faster than I can paint so I have LOTS of unpainted part armies/faction. I also like the idea of setting goals to keep you on track.
I seriously like those marauders. You have a very good eye for kit-bashing and the different makes work well together.

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 01:15:23 PM »
Very nice! I think a Chaos army should be a use-up-the-bits-box exercise. "Uniform chaos" has always seemed a bit absurd to me - as has a clear distinction between beastmen and human followers of chaos. In the source - Moorcock! - there's a spectrum of degeneration from bestial humans to human-like beasts and everything in between. That, it strikes me, is as it should be.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »
Great start :D

Sounds like an ambitious project I wish you luck!

Offline James Holloway

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 09:07:33 AM »
OK, here are some shots of the first month's progress.

A Marauder I'm pleased with, although the base still needs some foliage. It looks a bit rubbish close up.

The Marauders ranked as a regiment.

Sorcerer, familiars and Marauders.

Naturally the sorcerer has a backstory, which will be up in tomorrow's blog post.