Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:23:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Why no good minis of cloaked soldiers?  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
Why no good minis of cloaked soldiers?
« on: February 01, 2009, 06:33:57 PM »
I'm going to sound spoiled saying this, but it really bugs me that I can't find any miniatures of soldiers wearing cloaks. I mean the kind of big cloaks that cover pretty much the whole body, save the head and what little might show under one or both of the arms sticking out. You know, that moody, mysterious kind of look. It appears in fantasy artwork quite a lot. For instance, I've recently seen it in Dark Horse's Conan comics (the guards of a Nemedian nobleman in the story that leads up to The God in the Bowl, issue 9 I believe) and in Ghibli's Earthsea movie (the slavetakers).

They would seem relatively easy to sculpt (but not quite easy enough that I could do it myself - I tried a couple of years back) and moreover, generic enough to fit a lot of settings. So it surprises me a bit that with all the cool miniatures in existence - many of which are quite specific and narrow in their usefulness - no one makes some generic cloaked soldier types.

I know I might be able to scrounge up a few suitable figures from various historical ranges (Spartans come to mind), but it's hardly a perfect solution.
"When to keep awake against the camel's swaying or the junk's rocking, you start summoning up your memories one by one, your wolf will have become another wolf, your sister a different sister, your battle other battles, on your return from Euphemia, the city where memory is traded." - Italo Calvino

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Why no good minis of cloaked soldiers?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »
Some late Roman ranges have troops with cloaks but if I am right you want almost a poncho effect? perhaps a bit of green stuff to flesh out the existing cloaks

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »
I think that it might have to do with it looking like a bit of cheating from the sculptor, if he hides the figure under a cloak for no apparent reason..,, if you know what i mean...

I think a regiment like what you describe could look really good tho :)

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
Yeah, a poncho effect is pretty much the same thing as what I'm talking about. But not necessarily with a poncho.

I think that if the cloak/poncho is sculpted well enough, it won't look like the sculptor is cheating. Check out Vladar the Arrogant from the old Confrontation range, and try to look past the preposterous helmet:

(not my paintjob, image snatched from the SD website with Google Image Search - I haven't checked who the painter is but I hope he won't mind my using his pic to illustrate how cool a cloaked figure can look).

I actually have four of this figure (bought on clearance) that I'm meaning to turn into villains for various settings with different head swaps. Still, I also want some more soldierly-looking guys holding weapons, and without the squiggly symbol on the front. Just 3-4 poses would be awesome. With the cloaks draping in different ways over outstretched arms, I think the miniatures could be "fun" from a sculptor's point of view.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 09:49:30 PM by Rhoderic »

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 09:44:37 PM »
, and try to look past the preposterous helmet:
i can't, it's just not possible :P

I think it's a good idea, are there any special basic minis you're thinking about?

Offline Rhoderic

• Mastermind
  • I disapprove!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 09:47:33 PM »
I think it's a good idea, are there any special basic minis you're thinking about?

How do you mean? For converting?