Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Which putty ?  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Khadrin Stonetooth

• Scientist
Which putty ?
« on: September 17, 2016, 08:31:03 AM »
Hi all

I'd like to give a try at making some furnitures at 1/100th scale. Which type of putty would you people advise me to get nice details ?

Thanks much

Khadrin

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
Re: Which putty ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 08:46:43 AM »
I'm afraid I don't have an answer, but I am interested in doing the same thing, so - tag. And sorry.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 10:02:51 AM »
I don't sculpt at that scale but procreate putty would be my choice, a little more expensive than other expoy putties but worth it.

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
Furniture as in tables and chairs and things, for dungeons? I'd go for styrene, or matchsticks & coffee stirrers, first.

If not, or otherwise, my first thought is Privateer Press putty, which is Polymeric Systems brown/aluminium, AKA ye olde brown stuff. It takes sharp details and edges a little more easily than green stuff and procreate, and sands and carves much more easily. (For getting those angles down) At the same time, before it cures it's got a kind of 'chewing gum' texture like those other two; as opposed to claylike putties like milliput, apoxie sculpt, magic sculpt, etc. Those take details, sand and carve easily too (more easily) but have a less elastic, more 'granular' consistency* which can be somewhat friable for small details. Like, say, thin chair legs at 15/18mm(?) At least until you get to know how to work them.
But right out of the packet, with little experience, for the job at hand, my personal first choice would be brown stuff. YMMV.

Second choice might be Tamiya quick type. Elastic before curing, hard and rigid after. Quite nice to use. Tends to be more expensive than other putties, but might be on a par with BS in that regard.

* Not to say they're gritty, but they'll tear and crumble if pulled, rather than stretch.

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 12:39:48 PM »
I've had some fairly decent results sculpting furniture in 1/300 using a 50/50 mixture of greenstuff and milliput.
This has the benefit of still handling like greenstuff but beeing sandable when cured. Here's a pic to give you an idea

For 1/100 I'd start out with a fimo core and after baking add a skin of putty for the fine details. If you don't want to use fimo at least look for some other way to build a kind of armature for support.

Or as, stated above, use popsicle sticks/coffee stirrers like this

What ever you decide to do, be sure to share some pictures of your work.

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2016, 02:20:44 PM »
Stroezie, that looks fantastic!  :o
I'll be stealing the coffee stirrer idea, that's perfect!

Offline Ahistorian

• Mad Scientist
    • A-Historical Wargaming
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:24:59 AM »
Seriously, Stroezie, that wooden furniture is AMAZING!  :o