Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690585
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Adversaries from Torchwood's Victorian Period  (Read 3342 times)

Offline dusser

• Librarian
    • http://hodgepodgelodger.blogspot.com/
New Adversaries from Torchwood's Victorian Period
« on: February 04, 2009, 12:32:49 AM »
The growing files on the activities of a previously unknown branch of the super secret Torchwood organization have yet again provided a glimpse of new creatures faced by the fledgling institute.

http://torchwoodvictoria.blogspot.com/

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: New Adversaries from Torchwood's Victorian Period
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 12:40:21 AM »
Very nice and clever!
keep on the good job!
argsilverson

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
A great idea, I really like the way you have done the photographs. Keep 'Em coming. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »
Piccy no worky for me
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
 Or me :'(
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
But the link works and it is well worth following. Lovely.

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »
Indeed! Top notch!

Offline earthdog

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 11:38:26 AM »
Nice way to photograph them, I like the small stories with them.
Tank? Vot kind of dumbkopf name is that for a Schutzengrabenvernichtungspanzer?

Offline Kestrel

• Librarian
    • CameraDave.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 08:09:04 PM »
Nice way to photograph them.

Seconded!

I ran a roleplay game using D20 Past a few months back which became Torchwood 1883, featuring strange glowing hounds on Dartmoor and of course their debriefing officer was a certain My Doyle

No photos though sadly, as they're all a bit camera shy and has issues with the idea of becoming "filthy LARPers".  lol
Mein Doodlesack ist mangelhaft

Offline dusser

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »
No photos though sadly, as they're all a bit camera shy and has issues with the idea of becoming "filthy LARPers".  lol

Too bad, that.  I presume they also took issue with the long poses required for the period cameras.

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words all, now if I can only find time to get a game in and post an actual "Case File".

I like the small stories with them.
Thank you, they are fun for me and I hope for others too.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 11:47:12 PM by dusser »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2009, 09:05:40 AM »
This is a fascinating and inspirational topic. As I'm "downsizing" my new wargames projects at the moment, I'm on the lookout for new ideas that I can afford to try. This is one of them, as I have plenty of Victorian civilian figures and vampires [thanks to Malamute  ;) ] and other odd sci-fi/fantasy/horror figures that will work.

I'll probably use a simple RPG system like "Adventures and Expeditions by GASLIGHT" for most games, with the main GASLIGHT rules for larger actions and Mythic for the solo aspects. It's a subject that suggests RPGing as the best route to take.

My only problem is suitable British Victorian buildings. Cardstock is really the only feasible option for me, but I don't know of any suitable buildings available at present. Oh well, I do have the "Shellendrak Manor" from WorldWorks Games, so that would do for a start  :D

So, Dusser, thanks very much for the inspiration and please keep posting updates!

Offline dusser

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2009, 05:23:41 PM »
I'll probably use a simple RPG system like "Adventures and Expeditions by GASLIGHT" for most games, with the main GASLIGHT rules for larger actions and Mythic for the solo aspects. It's a subject that suggests RPGing as the best route to take.

My only problem is suitable British Victorian buildings. Cardstock is really the only feasible option for me, but I don't know of any suitable buildings available at present. Oh well, I do have the "Shellendrak Manor" from WorldWorks Games, so that would do for a start  :D

So, Dusser, thanks very much for the inspiration and please keep posting updates!

I think Adventures and Expeditions by GASLIGHT would work very well for Victorian Torchwood! I might have to dig out my copy and see what ideas I can glean.

Finding the Victorian terrain is also an issue I am up against.  I have the first floor of a "Mansion" I scratch built that will work (many of the photos take place on this terrain piece) but I need to build up some more urban buildings etc.  A long time ago I made several buildings for gangster games by coating cardboard boxes with asphalt patch then adding architectural features.  It's quick and dirty terrain, doesn't have any interiors, but it is cheap to make. 

Many of the buildings here were made in such a way, particularly the two on the top, middle ground:  http://www.displacedminiatures.com/Demus/image/858/7037/

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 10:48:54 AM »
I might have to do a similar thing with any buildings I make. The interiors shouldn't be a problem as there is a lot of stuff available as downloadable PDF, including doors, furniture etc.

The good thing about GASLIGHT is the generic nature of the rules plus the ease of including your own ideas for technology, monsters etc. The added bonus that it's meant for Victorian era gaming and it's quick, easy and fun to play makes it ideal for me to use for this type of project  :)