Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690841
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bloodbeards Post-Apo Blog (Devils Run / The Walking Dead)  (Read 7605 times)

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
Re: Bloodbeards Post-Apo Blog (Devils Run / The Walking Dead)
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 08:30:13 AM »
Its all looking pretty awesome! But can you show a pic of the 1/72 zombies next to those bikers, please?

Thank you. I'll try to get one taken today.

Awesome to see man! You were my main inspiration to back The Devil's Run (you should ask them for a bonus! :D) and I can't wait to get the game...especially when you keep showing off your awesome stuff.

I just found out that I'm gonna get made into a chracter in the game - so that's a pretty nice bonus!

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2016, 11:07:31 PM »

Zombies!
This friday night my wife is at (one of many) Christmas Lunches (even when held in the evening). So I've been painting zombies, watching The Walking Dead and having a beer.

Managed to do 24 Caesar Minaitures zombies. Need dip and blood, the bases need some work as well. Size fits well next to a bike.

Also I've painted up the first two zombies for The Walking Dead by Mantic. I've pledged to do all 32 (!) zombies this December month. And I must have painted all my Walking Dead miniatures before wave two ships in April.

I have to say these are a joy to paint. The 32mm bulky scale is easy to paint, the details are fairly simple and sharp. Nice and quick. Needs dip, blood and base of cause.

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2016, 03:38:49 AM »
Great thread.  I love the looks of both your games.  I kinda wish I would have gotten into both kickstarters now!

And the photo edits really are cool.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 08:41:46 PM »
Great thread.  I love the looks of both your games.  I kinda wish I would have gotten into both kickstarters now!

And the photo edits really are cool.
Thank you kindly Sir!

Super productive December
My pledge for December was painting and finishing 24 zombies for Devils Run and 32 (all released) Walkers for The Walking Dead. I'm done with the pledge and have been for some days. Time to start all the survivors.

I've also finshed my Devils Run stuff. Mega picture update!

Devils Run: Route 666

Debris - made from all kinds of scrap. Devils Run or other 20mm gaming.

20mm Caesar Miniatures Modern Zombies. Painted a couple as soldiers and The Law officers.

Geralt the Reaper biker (made from miscast vehicles) and Bill driving a green Muggy.

My newest additions to The Law. The Interceptor (car) is an old hotwheels car with Ramshackle Games resin bits.

My entire The Law faction inspired by Mad Max MFP.

Hauls Angels bikes and trike.

Official Devils Run Gasser and homemade buggy (gokart).

My entire Hauls Angels faction.

Skinners bikes and trike. These were super fun to paint! It's was cool to experiment with all the rust.

Skinner Carcuss (car) and Karrgy (buggy). I've build the car myself from a toy car, toothpicks and Ramshackle Games resin bits.

Skinners Trukk.

The Walking Dead
These miniatures were an absolute joy to paint. The 32mm scale is really nice to work wife. They civillian type models lack all the details of sci-fi miniatures or Games Workshop fantasy models. Tried to make as much freehand designs as possible, to add a bit of detail.

Nurse and a Hunter (in Denmark hunters must have orange in their clothing).

I love the half body walker. Added a lot of gore to his base!

Walker Reggie (the guy who shot Rick in Issue 1), Smiley Guy (my paint job, inspired by The Watchmen Comedian badge) and Walker Shane (jealous cop).

The guy on the left is wearing a Misfits tshirt with the skull on the front and Misfits print on the back. The girl next to him is wearing a nike tshirt.

Walker Ronnie (Mantic CEO) I've painted in a Mantic Employee tshirt. The Walker with dark hair is Morgan's wife (and Duanes mother). The redneck on the right is my body Lau - he has that hat and vest.

I really like the punker walker (direct copy of a walker image in the comics) and the guy eating a handful of guts.

The girl in the yellow shirt is all but fresh.

Couple of walkers with freehand designs on their backs.

The Herd! 32 Walkers done in oner 20 days.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 07:46:02 PM »
Walking Dead 21/25
I'm working toward painting all my Walking Dead survivors in January. I've painted 21 (of 25), so that should be possible to finish. Takes a couple of days to varnish, anti-shine and base them. Then it's on to terrain and counters.

Here' a real crappy, blitz, taken in the dark photo.

A Devil's Run Character
I'm super lucky to have been made into a character in Devil's Run. Quite the surprise really, as I havn't pledged for it. Mark Rapson (the brain behind the game) snatched a photo off my Facebook and had the artist Dominik paint me. Bloodbeard a Minnesota Vyker will be a character in the game. That's ridicously awesome.

Based on this photo.

A facebook pledge group
My old paint pledge group, kidda died out. People didn't really pledge and even though I didn't owe any beer - I still bought a case at the last gathering. I've made a new, international, group for it on facebook. Pledge, paint or pay.

The game is simple and a round is a month long.
- We pledge which miniatures (or other project) we'll want to finish before the 1st of the following month.
- We make a 'fee' that we'll pay should we fail our painting goal. The 'fee' could be anything: Bread for colleagues, beer for the gaming group, doing the dishes, money for charity.

It's all about getting more stuff done, motivating other hobbyists or doing some good if we fail.

There's a pinned post at the top of the page, where you can post your pledge and 'fee' as a comment. And there's still some time to pledge for January.

You should consider joining the fun. Get painting!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/396719084005617/

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2017, 02:49:28 AM »
I'm super lucky to have been made into a character in Devil's Run. Quite the surprise really, as I havn't pledged for it. Mark Rapson (the brain behind the game) snatched a photo off my Facebook and had the artist Dominik paint me. Bloodbeard a Minnesota Vyker will be a character in the game. That's ridicously awesome.

That's pretty cool :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 04:57:52 AM »
Great TWD collection!  You have all the toys and they are pretty much completely painted  (there is no really good envious emote :P ).  Love those skinner vehicles and getting your portrait done is pretty awesome.

Offline Molotov98989

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2017, 03:25:10 PM »
I absolutely love that Buggy/Go Cart conversion ;-) Great stuff man
My website for commissions; jhminiatures.com

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2017, 05:54:21 PM »
That's pretty cool :)
It's awesome!

Great TWD collection!  You have all the toys and they are pretty much completely painted  (there is no really good envious emote :P ).  Love those skinner vehicles and getting your portrait done is pretty awesome.
Thanks man. I suffer from a very hard complitionist gene in my gaming systems. And I'm a huge TWD fan, so I went totally overboard on pledeging here. The Skinner vehicles are super nice, I love that faction!

I absolutely love that Buggy/Go Cart conversion ;-) Great stuff man
Thank you. It's a nice little model. Came from a Kinder Surprice originally.

The Walking Dead - Wave 1
I'm done with all my survivors for The Walking Dead. Painted up all of them here in January. This was also my paint pledge for this month, made in Pledge, Paint or Pay!

This is all the survivors released so far in Wave 1 of The Walking Dead. Next bunch of miniatures will ship in May.

I've also ordered a bunch of stuff online, to build me a photo light box. I'm sick and tired of not having proper light for photos, always messes up my colours a bit.

Also I'm very happy with the bases for these miniatures.

Morgan and Duane. The first survivors Rick encounters in #1.

This was the worst of the miniatures to paint! Nice model, but I would have loved to paint the bits before assembly. All TWD miniatures come assembled. Rick Grimes on Horse.

Michonne and Abraham Ford. Both are Kickstarter Exclusive sculpts. I don't give too much for that. Abrahams pose is nice though, stomping a dead (dead!) walker. The US Woodland camo turned out good. Michonne is coloured as she is on the colour front covers of the comics.

Negan! I love that psycho! His baseball bat Lucille and Craig. Craig is not named in the comics and is only in the comic for a few pages (before getting messed up badly!).

Donna and Allen, part of the Atlanta Survivors. They have a set of twin boys, that mini (two on one base) are coming in Wave 2. Allen has a red shirt in a cover.

Shane, Jim, Sophia and Carol. Those caps were a bit of work. That 'Police' is pretty small and so it the CAT logo on Jims hat.

Dale, Amy and Andrea. Andrea is one of my favourite characters from the comics. They really messed her up in the TV Series (that's othewise nicely done). I have an RV miniature for Dale, I'll try to get it done in February.

Brian Blake and Reggie. Brian is the guy who later turns into The Governor and leader of the Woodbury group. This model (and the character card) is before he turns complete psycho. Reggie is the guy who shoots Rick in Issue #1 and sends him into a coma.

The Grimes Family. Rick, Carl and Lori Grimes. Both Carl and Lori are painted as on a front cover. Not captured well in the photos, but Lori has a green/muted orange checkered shirt on.

DC Scavengers. Only Derek is named in the comics. But there are all there. Part of a marauder group attacking the main characters in Alexandria Safe Zone.

I enjoyed painting Liam - he's a lot of my friends in one miniature. Loads of heavy metal roleplayer geek heads out there. Knows everything about Zombies, have seen every show, think they'll survive. In reality they're out of shape, non aggressive and will get eaten first.

Thanks for looking!

A year long mega pledge
In 2017 I want to paint 365 miniatures! Boom! That's a miniature every day. To achieve this I'll have to count finished terrain pieces, 3d miniature counters etc as models also. But it'll still be a nice chunk down the bought pile.

To achieve this I'll also have to limit conversion work and modelling. Paint the stuff I have! So far I'm on 25 completely done models for January.

February I plan on painting all my Walking Dead scenery and counters:
5 cars, 1 tank, 6 barricades, 11 loot counters, 1 dumbster, 2 mail boxes, 6 tents, 1 campfire, 1 police badge and all my Admiral Chaos Dwarfs. So that should put me ahead of the date.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »
The Walking Dead
I'm really enjoying playing The Walking Dead. It' fast, intuitive, easy to learn and build for quickly coming up with scenarios. And playing will all painted minaitures is such a joy.

Before Christmas I promised my 10th graders (a small special needs class) we would play TWD. They've all seen the TV show and like it. We had our game recently and they were really into it. I shared the story on facebook and after a weeks winter break, there was a box from Mantic at work. Ronnie Renton (Mantic Bossman) had send my some extra counters, cards, walker miniatures and mats for free. Nice surpise.

Here's some pictures of my counters and terrain, and a few action shots from recent games.

Wrecked cars from the KS version of TWD.

A Mars Attacks truck I got in a mystery box one year. Painted the Danish Beredsskabsstyrelsen (Our FEMA).

Cheap Academy Models M60A1 Abrams tank. Both terrain and a part of the upcomming prison scenarios.

Tents from Renadra. Really cheap. These will also see action as part of Frostgrave camps.

Loot from The Walking Dead. Put a little Toy Story reference in there. The dumbsters and mailboxes is from a terrain trade I made back in the day.

And some game shots. Here's Negan and Sandra

Rick and Carl Grimes

Patrick and Sandra

Devil's Run
I went to a small convention earlier this month. Had some cool games of Devils Run. Trying to get more people onboard, as it's cheap to enter the hobby with this games. Had some massive crazy action in our games, as we ran three factions instead of two.

Thanks for watching.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »
Devils Run and Walking Dead
Recently started a blogspot page. I'm working on adding some of my old projects. So if you've  missed or want to see my done Law gang or Walking Dead stuff go here.
Link
Devils Run: The Law

Link Walking Dead: Survivors wave 1

Link Walking Dead: Walkers wave 1

Thanks
Thank for looking!

Facebook page
 It's all fun and games for me, but the blog also serves the purpose for sharing my 'gamification' projects. Teaching with boardgames in public elemtary school.

So any like to the blog facebook page is much appriciated - it really is! As more likes is more 'power' for when I push project ideas in a sometimes heavy system that is public education.
https://www.facebook.com/BloodbeardsGarage/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 07:13:09 AM by Bloodbeard »

Offline therepoman

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2017, 07:39:48 PM »
Love these cars!

Very very cool stuff. If I had time for a 4th scale, I'd definitely get into this. As it stands, I don't even know how I can keep up with the three I already do.

post-collapse tabletop adventures: www.wreck-age.net

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
Love these cars!

Very very cool stuff. If I had time for a 4th scale, I'd definitely get into this. As it stands, I don't even know how I can keep up with the three I already do.
Which scales are you collection? I'm only on different 28mm systems (trying to multi purpose as much as possible) and then these 20mm hotwheel scale cars.

Finished up an MDF kit from TTCombat, their Atlanta RV. An exellent kit for The Walking Dead - as an RV is pretty much needed.

There's a few different RVs on the market. I ordered the MDF Atlanta RV from TTCombat back when my Walking Dead Wave 1 was delivered. At that time there was a few different options, now there's also an official model from Mantic Games. I would still have gone for the TTCombat one for a couple reasons:

TTCombat has the cheapest RV. Cheaper than Mantic Games and a lot cheaper than Pat's Laser Cutting.
    The size is really nice, as it's more than a Line of Sight blocker. There's lots of room inside, perfect for scenarios.

I painted the RV with a white spray basecoat and then some brown panel details, I think this is the colours used in the comic as well. 

There's as always even more thought on this, info on painting and more pictures over at the blogspot: http://bloodbeard.blogspot.dk/2017/04/the-walking-dead-dales-rv.html

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2017, 07:35:45 PM »
Homemade palettes
Wooden palettes are great little pieces of scatter terrain. I love doing multi purpose terrain and these will work for all my modern, post-apoc and sci-fi games.

One of the issues with a lot of scatter terrain, is that it'll fall over and get pushed around during games. Often just becoming an annoyance or getting ignored. And like most gamers I have lots of small scatter pieces. Gluing some barrels, crates and cannisters to a palette will prevent that and give the whole thing a bit more mass.

I've written a tutorial on how I made these. I toke me an hours work to make 12. Bet it'll be even faster the next time I make some.

Tutorial here: DIY 28mm palettes LINK.

They also make for some cool actions shots with my Walking Dead models.

Patrick is running into trouble from the previous owner while scavenging for supplies.

Rick and his son Carl out looking for food and ammo.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2017, 10:32:39 AM »
Made some danger and warning signs and printed them on adhessive sticker. Easy detail to add to industrial terrain, crates, barrels etc.

I've compiled the photos from the web into a combined document, working for 20mm - 28mm stuff.

See blog post, with download of the sheet here: LINK.