Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:59:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Best Way to Prime Sprues?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline mister c

• Bookworm
Re: Best Way to Prime Sprues?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »
You can even  choose a colour of primer to reduce the painting time later.  I often prime orcs and goblins etc in brown; it provides a good base for green skin tone (sorry) and doubles as the leather for belts, straps, boots etc.
Check out my gaming and painting blog (Including Frostgrave) at
http://periodicpainting.blogspot.co.uk/2015/07/frostgrave.html

Offline November

• Scientist
    • November in Frostheim
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2016, 12:16:38 PM »
Youtube has many good priming primers (pun intended) you should check out.

Offline LiamFrostfang

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2016, 01:29:04 PM »
oooooo da fumesssssssssssss... :o

Offline Jennifer

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2016, 02:49:34 PM »
Watching a youtube video on skin washes.  The guy is using Citadel Reikland Fleshshade.  It looks pretty nice.  But it's like $8.95 off ebay (shipped).

I was wondering if there was an Americana or Folk Art alternative to this?  Or should I just buy that wash?  Are there special chemicals in the Citadel washes that make them work very well?  I've had some problem with washes in the past.. getting the right consistency and when it dries it sometimes makes rings/water spots.

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2016, 03:11:05 PM »
A poster above (I think eKurtz?) mentioned about not priming Reaper Bones without using their special primer. I paint a lot of these guys and you definately can use the primers I suggested so long as you properly wash the model first in warm soapy water. Scrub them, then rinse thoroughly in warm water again. Then they will prime fine. They have a sort of grease on them left over from the injection method and it's just that you need to get rid of. Some are worse than others for some reason!

Also, I now wash any sort of similar plastic before priming, especially the type of cheaper plastic used for boardgame miniatures...
Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 07:26:49 AM »
I always make sure I wash my sprues, just luke warm soapy water.
just in case there is any mold release on them :)
you can just paint them after that but I use spray primer on most of them.
The pound shops have primer, it seems to cover well and its not quite as thick as the top end spray primers.
Roger
Roger nailed it.
Sounds like you've got the right advice here, but just as a warning since I know they are popular with Frostgrave players - you shouldn't use the same primer on Reaper Bones, they have their own recommended primers (or apparently you can paint them straight, but I never have.)
Reaper claims that you can paint straight out of the pack.  Notsomuch.  They do have mold release and for primers the best thing that I have found it Guesso.  I have had mixed results with spray primer and brushing straight on does not work as well as advertised. 

When I lived in the states I used the cheap grey or black spray paint from Home Depot to prime both metal and plastics.  It worked a treat.  it was also under $4.00 a can. 

Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com