Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:28:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689762
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd Afghan War - figure manufacturer options  (Read 5091 times)

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
2nd Afghan War - figure manufacturer options
« on: October 14, 2016, 03:10:09 PM »
I have some very helpful pointers already in getting started in this period and am now considering what figure range(s) to buy.

I am aware that Artizan and Ironclad make figures specifically for the 2nd Afghan War and assume there must be others. What are you chaps on the NWF using please?

And I have just seen there is a thread started by another poster asking for a comparison between Ironclad and Foundry Pathans.  Hopefully someone can answer that one too as he is evidently feeling neglected!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: 2nd Afghan War - figure manufacturer options
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 04:53:01 PM »
My Pathans are almost exclusively Old Glory, cos they are cheap as chips!!  :D

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:12:46 PM »
My Pathans are almost exclusively Old Glory, cos they are cheap as chips!!  Cheesy

Interesting!  Are they any good, and would you have still chosen them if they were the same price as the others?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 07:43:57 PM »
They are honestly some of the best minis OG do. Of course, had Foundry, Artizan etc, been as cheap, I'd probably have chosen differently, but it was a no-brainer for the money. They also take a 'dipping' paint technique very well.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 07:51:56 PM »
Perry miniatures and Studio miniatures are two good choices beside Foundry and Artizan. I agree though that OG is a real value option. Even if they do not advertise it they will give you "6 packs for 5" if you ask OG UK.

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 11:26:35 PM »
Like Traveller says the new Perry and Studio are close size-wise and indeed they are close to Foundry also. Old Glory a little smaller, Artizan larger and Ironclad quite a bit larger. But with all these choices you can have 100 tribesmen with every figure different!  ;D

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2016, 11:49:36 PM »
Two more companies are Australia's EUREKA MINIATURES and CASTAWAY ARTS.

Eureka are on the small side of 28mm (they may actually call them 25mm) and Castaway are a bit larger than old Wargames Foundry 28mm NWF.  I use units of both in my own armies, which include just about all the other sources mentioned above: Perry, Wargames Foundry, Empress, and Old Glory, as well as the new Artizan figures.

Eureka makes Sikh and Punjabi Pioneers w/picks and shovels as well as rifles, and Castaway Arts has a decent sized range of British, Indian, and Pathan troops, including Gurkhas and cavalry.  I used to recommend the Castaway Arts British artillery crew, as they are wearing short Royal Artillery tunics, like those worn by the RHA at Maiwand, but now Perry has released their own artillery crew dressed the same way, so it comes down to which scultping style and price you prefer.

Eureka also makes a range of Indian and Arab civilians which can be very useful if you like having some non-combatants on your tabletop.  In a similar vein, Perry has a civilan pack in their Crusades Muslim range which are very nice.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:53:25 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline abelp01

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 04:46:07 AM »
I'm with guitarheroandy on the OLD GLORY Pathans, they're full of character! The command bag is amazing! They include musicians, standard bearers and leaders that excel anything I've seen from the other companies mentioned!

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 06:05:56 PM »
I'm with guitarheroandy on the OLD GLORY Pathans, they're full of character!

Not only are you with GH Andy, but you look like him too.  In fact, I can't tell you apart!  :o

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 06:12:55 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions chaps.  Some hard thinking needed now, as I don't want to take a false step I will regret later!

I would like to be able to mix and match between manufacturers if possible to give a more varied look, particularly to the irregulars. 

From what I have read on the thread about Ironclad compatibility (specifically do they go well with Foundry - apparently not), Perry figures seem to be a good match for the Foundry range (both Perry sculpted ranges?).  Assuming I want my British infantry in metal (multi part plastic is not for me), would I be right in assuming that Perry's British foot in Indian service dress from the Sudan range fit the bill?

Also, the variety of Old Glory's tribesmen is appealing.  Would they look out of proportion with Perry/Foundry?

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »

Also, the variety of Old Glory's tribesmen is appealing.  Would they look out of proportion with Perry/Foundry?

in all my show demos of TMWWBK, we had Foundry, OG, Empress, Castaway Arts and Perry models on the table and everyone seemed to think it all looked great, so no issues mixing and matching. Just one word of warning - Artizan models are a bit on the large side - I have a unit of Brits but not painted them yet and they are fabulous but chunky fellows... I do have an Artizan officer with my Foundry Guides, which works well though....

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 09:53:27 PM »
My Pathans are almost exclusively Old Glory, cos they are cheap as chips!!  :D

I can't argue with that but are they not closer to true 25mm that current 28mm standards?
"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2016, 06:45:20 AM »
The Perry-sculpted Wargames Foundry NWF Pathans and the Old Glory Pathan Tribesmen are exactly the same scale.  I guess that is "old" 28mm, which is not as big as newer ranges like those by Perry and Empress.  I have Pathan tribal units that include equal numbers of both.  Also, in my humble opinion, Old Glory's Pathans are one of the best sculpted ranges they have.  In full disclosure, I like the Wargames Foundry Pathans best of all, but the Old Glory range is quite good.

One last thing: I don't think anyone has mentioned the relatively new packs of Afghan Tribesmen in Perry Miniatures' "Victoria's Little Wars" range, which are also very nice.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2016, 10:25:11 AM »
I have figures from Old Glory, Foundry, Artizan, Castaway Arts, and a few figures from some fantasy lines. The all seem to mix together well. The more you mix the less the size differences stand out.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2016, 04:30:37 PM »
Yet more helpful suggestions, thanks again.

And now what is probably a stupid question. 

Having checked Foundry's site, there are no specific Pathan figures shown in the NWF collection.

For those who have recommended them, are you referring to the Hill Tribes packs in the Indian range? Specifically, these:

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/colonial/indians-zanzibaris-turks-moghuls-sikhs-afghans-arabs-corsair/indian-hill-tribesmen-collection-bcind005/