Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pellucidar  (Read 6979 times)

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
Re: Pellucidar
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2016, 05:08:13 AM »
Bug Pope,

Those 15mm.co.uk huts look absolutely amazing!

Dan

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2016, 05:41:26 AM »
I've seen this model before, but I can't remember where it's from? Lovely for Lost world campaigns!

It's one of mine - Forge of Ice.  In-universe he's a Histath, a snakeman.

Pellucidar is perhaps not the biggest influence on my own stuff, but it's high on the list.

For example - Burroughs describes the Mahars as looking like giant Rhamphorynchids.  Toothy maws, long tails, no crest.

But, when I read the Pellucidar books as a kid, I always imagined them as looking more like Pterodactyls.  Maybe that's inspired by Sauron from Marvel Comics, or even Rodan from the Godzilla films.  But, no matter where it's from, that's how I imagined them.

So, when I designed my own race of Pterro-Men for my setting, that's how I made them look.  Definitely inspired by the pterosaur dudes of my childhood, Mahars included, but based on the mental image I had in my 10-year-old imagination.

I think they make decent stand-ins for Mahars, even if they don't quite match up to Burroughs' description. 

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2016, 08:54:17 AM »

Pellucidar is perhaps not the biggest influence on my own stuff, but it's high on the list.

For example - Burroughs describes the Mahars as looking like giant Rhamphorynchids.  Toothy maws, long tails, no crest.

But, when I read the Pellucidar books as a kid, I always imagined them as looking more like Pterodactyls.  Maybe that's inspired by Sauron from Marvel Comics, or even Rodan from the Godzilla films.  But, no matter where it's from, that's how I imagined them.

So, when I designed my own race of Pterro-Men for my setting, that's how I made them look.  Definitely inspired by the pterosaur dudes of my childhood, Mahars included, but based on the mental image I had in my 10-year-old imagination.

I think they make decent stand-ins for Mahars, even if they don't quite match up to Burroughs' description. 

Thanks, I recall now. Great sculpting!

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
Bug Pope,

Those 15mm.co.uk huts look absolutely amazing!

Dan

I wasn't aware of those. I particularly like the shaman hut. Scotia Grendel do some very nice 28mm huts. I think that some could be used as a larger hut/great hall in 15mm too.

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
http://www.magistermilitum.com/era/pre-historic.html
Magister Militum have a very broad range of prehistoric animals, one of the biggest I've seen, covering both famous and obscure species. The problem is that they're in 10mm (which might be the most obscure wargame scale of them all, since it's the awkward middle child between the popular 6mm and 15mm scales), which means they'll be dwarfed by your 15mm minis. I guess you could pass them off as dwarf variants or young dinosaurs, though.
Also MMs web store is kind of a nightmare to navigate, but I digress.

Gale Force Nine have two sets of 28mm skin and tusk huts that work as stone age homes. Way too big for 15mm, though.

I'm thinking of building a model of one of the buildings described by ERB as looking like a giant hornet's nest around a tree. Which is basically what I already do with my IKEA ball huts, except in a tree. And those are really easy to build from scratch.
If you're convincing yourself that you're infallible, you can never improve.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2016, 06:53:17 PM »
Pulp Figures Neanderthals are out of production at the moment, but I could see that lot appearing in a Pelucidar game. I think Bob Murch will be sculpting new versions. The old versions can be viewed here:

https://pulpfigures.com/products/category/15
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2016, 06:19:29 AM »

Alex, those look absolutely amazing.  I particularly love that statue!  Keep up the awesome work.

Dan

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2016, 01:08:08 PM »
I use the Bestial Huts myself...

« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 01:09:54 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »
I game alot in the hollow earth and made these for my collection Star wars pre- paints they work fine the beastal Sagoths

in action using IHMN battle reporst on my blog as always http://shadowking-shadowkings.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/allan-quartermain-at-earths-core-part-2.html

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »
Alex, those look absolutely amazing.  I particularly love that statue!  Keep up the awesome work.

Dan

Thanks CC!

Good to see you here!  Your excellent tents are what got me started after all!

Check out my "Denizens of Azor" thread here in the Pulp forum, I think there's some stuff there that you'll like!

-Alex

Offline Eccentric Cowboy

• Assistant
    • Eccentric Cowboy Blog
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2016, 10:14:25 PM »
 :o Wow! Those minis and sets are amazing guys! Saggoths, snakemen, terrain, all awesome!
Indie author, lover of history, literature and movie buff, Weird West and Paleopulp nut

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2016, 01:27:45 AM »
I use the Bestial Huts myself...

Good looking terrain, Wullfgar! THANKS for sharing.

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2016, 02:01:42 AM »
Check out my "Denizens of Azor" thread here in the Pulp forum, I think there's some stuff there that you'll like!

-Alex

Alex, those are absolutely amazing!!!  Stunning.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=64311.225

Dan

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2016, 03:11:39 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Mars and Venus books but Pelllucidar never really moved me, thank god Doug McClure never played John Carter.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2016, 08:35:35 AM »
I'm a big fan of the Mars and Venus books but Pelllucidar never really moved me, thank god Doug McClure never played John Carter.

Did this for the  ERBAAA(Edgar Rice Burroughs Amateur Artists Alliance), I think it would have been  amazing!

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 08:41:03 AM by shadowking1957 »