Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 02:03:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695385
  • Total Topics: 118685
  • Online Today: 529
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 484
Total: 489

Recent

Author Topic: [Goalsystem] Super Mission Force  (Read 49262 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: [Goalsystem] Super Mission Force
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2016, 04:06:06 PM »
This might go against the nature of goal system, but how about making it one or more auto goals?

That introduces a new rules scheme. Not sure about it. I'll think on it a bit.
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2016, 04:28:10 PM »
That introduces a new rules scheme. Not sure about it. I'll think on it a bit.

Pretty much my thinking also. Then again looking at some of the other minor powers, say super agility  ::), introducing "x auto goals" would not be that dramatic a rules addition.
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2016, 04:31:24 PM »
Yep that clarifies the Sorcery rules pretty well, especially the examples.  :)

Auto-goals for armour would thematically make sense in that armour always offers some defensive protection, not sure how much more powerful a guaranteed goal would be versus 3 re-rolls which have a very high chance to produce a goal.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2016, 04:57:56 PM »
I took a look on the beta rules, it looks great !

Will SMF also offer a sologaming appendix (maybe simplier than in 4th edition) ?

thank you !

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »
I updated the doc on the box account!

No plans for any solo rules, but the rules are pretty simple and accessible, so they would not be too tough to adapt to solo play.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »
The cards driven activation is a good start, already !

But it's definitly an interesting project, something between the "almost rpg" super system and other simplier games !

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2016, 06:24:01 PM »
Pretty much my thinking also. Then again looking at some of the other minor powers, say super agility  ::), introducing "x auto goals" would not be that dramatic a rules addition.

Point well taken!  :)  As a minor power, 1 Auto-goal? That seems pretty potent.

Offline Erethor

• Assistant
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2016, 07:14:26 PM »
Currently, my vote goes for no auto-goals for Armor. That feels like it could make it too powerful, and perhaps reduce some combat tension.

Imagine you only need one hit to knock out an opponent, and potentially end the match. You both roll your attack and defense dice respectively...and you win combat by a single point! Now, your opponent has 3 re-rolls from Armor. It's unlikely, but if he doesn't get any goals, you can pull off a win! All eyes are on the dice...

It's these moments of tension that can elevate a game to excitement.

Now to be fair, I AM being extreme and describing a specific circumstance, and adding in auto-goals isn't going to "suck away fun" or necessarily prevent these tense moments from occurring. And I don't just want to be a stick in the mud, so I'll try a few games out with Armor having an auto-goal and see how it works out, and maybe post thoughts later.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2016, 07:24:15 PM »
Currently, my vote goes for no auto-goals for Armor. That feels like it could make it too powerful, and perhaps reduce some combat tension.

Imagine you only need one hit to knock out an opponent, and potentially end the match. You both roll your attack and defense dice respectively...and you win combat by a single point! Now, your opponent has 3 re-rolls from Armor. It's unlikely, but if he doesn't get any goals, you can pull off a win! All eyes are on the dice...

Now to be fair, I AM being extreme and describing a specific circumstance, and adding in auto-goals isn't going to "suck away fun" or necessarily prevent these tense moments from occurring. And I don't just want to be a stick in the mud, so I'll try a few games out with Armor having an auto-goal and see how it works out, and maybe post thoughts later.

Thanks!  Do let me know. As it stands Armor provides 3 Re-rolls. That's pretty buff. But we'll see. I am not averse to trying new things, especially for this set.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2016, 07:27:39 PM »
Would an auto-goal be in addition to normal roll or count one of the dice as a success? Once armour's buffed up though it starts making resistance look underpowered now though they can stack for Brick characters I guess.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2016, 07:40:46 PM »
Keep in mind that as of now it's still 3 Re-rolls, but here's how I might write it:

Armor
You possess damage resistance from super-thick skin or some kind of worn armor. Ignore the first lost Body damage box you suffer from melee or ranged attacks.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2016, 07:52:36 PM »
Keep in mind that as of now it's still 3 Re-rolls, but here's how I might write it:

Armor
You possess damage resistance from super-thick skin or some kind of worn armor. Ignore the first lost Body damage box you suffer from melee or ranged attacks.

Ah OK, so not so much an auto-goal (though i guess mechanically the same result) but just automatically blocking one point of damage from each attack, yeah that's pretty strong. I do feel there does need to be differentiation between the various defence powers though.

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2016, 07:55:10 PM »
I love the simplicity of ignoring the first damage for armour but fear that written this way it is the equivalent of a +1D that auto passes making the +1D of resistance pointless.

On the other hand two rerolls is pretty good, with the potential to provide 4 goals against just two for resistance. How about letting armour stack like some of the other powers. Buy it twice and get 3 rerolls? Thats seven dice and getting on for three sure goals.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
I love the simplicity of ignoring the first damage for armour but fear that written this way it is the equivalent of a +1D that auto passes making the +1D of resistance pointless.

On the other hand two rerolls is pretty good, with the potential to provide 4 goals against just two for resistance. How about letting armour stack like some of the other powers. Buy it twice and get 3 rerolls? Thats seven dice and getting on for three sure goals.

Keep in mind I updated Resistance to give it some extra oomph:

===========
Resistance (minor)
You’re super-tough! Gain +1D on all defense checks from Body damaging attacks and +1D on KO checks.
===========

At TN4, the KO check is tough. Resistance will give you 5D instead of the normal 4D to make it. If you also have Iron Will, that would be 6D on the KO check, so you're likely to make it.

So Armor in its current scheme at +3 Re-rolls seems about even with Resistance and its capabilities.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 08:06:30 PM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2016, 10:07:48 PM »

I agree too (no automatic armor). In comics, we sometimes see sidekicks having their momentum and defeating big badies/heroes. That's a cool thing, and it's always a load of fun on the tabletop when a cheap/weak unit destroys the big monster or hero !