Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 01:25:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695383
  • Total Topics: 118685
  • Online Today: 507
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 454
Total: 459

Recent

Author Topic: [Goalsystem] Super Mission Force  (Read 49259 times)

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
Re: [Goalsystem] Super Mission Force
« Reply #285 on: December 15, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »
Hopefully gonna get a play test in today. I plan to use the Frightful Four I recently touched up and re-based.

The Wingless Wizard
Super (Mastermind)
Move: 6" / 20"
Body: 6 Psyche: 7
Major Power
Enhance
Minor Powers
Flight
Power Blasts
Telekinesis
Backgrounds
Criminal, Science

Medusa
Wildcard
Move: 10"
Body: 6 Psyche: 6
Minor Powers
Fast (Boost)
Multiple Limbs
Savant
Super-Strength
Backgrounds
Exploration, Social Science

Sandman
Metamorph
Move: 6"
Body: 6 Psyche: 6
Major Power
Metamorph
Minor Power
Super-Strength
Backgrounds
Criminal, Blue Collar

The Trapster
Street-Level
Move: 6"
Body: 5 Psyche: 5
Minor Powers
Entangle
Stun
Backgrounds
Criminal, Science

« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 03:15:01 PM by fourcolorfigs »
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Bloodaxe

• Scientist
« Reply #286 on: December 16, 2016, 01:52:55 AM »
If you play, I would sure like to see pics of your finished Frightful Four and a battle report. Thanks.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #287 on: December 16, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
There's quite a few abilities that can be toggled on or off and a few now that generate bonuses that can be "spent" so I decided to put together some tokens. I'm using free icons from game-icons.net, fairly simply stuff with black on white to save ink when they're printed. Do these look OK?

I have Entangle, Knocked Down, Burrowing and Hidden already done as well. Need to come up with Obscurement, Rage, Stun and a token representing a +1 re-roll bonus. Might need multiple types of re-roll token since Enhance, Gadgets and Parasite I guess all have their own limits on how many you can have etc. Might be worth defining if those abilities re-rolls stack as well?

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #288 on: December 16, 2016, 11:34:35 AM »
Those are awesome!

Can you PM me regarding them? I have a few questions.

Thanks!

Offline fergal

• Mad Scientist
    • Crossover Miniatures
« Reply #289 on: December 16, 2016, 12:15:44 PM »
 I could totally knock some up an acrylic?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 12:31:30 PM by fergal »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #290 on: December 16, 2016, 12:27:36 PM »
I have Entangle, Knocked Down, Burrowing and Hidden already done as well. Need to come up with Obscurement, Rage, Stun and a token representing a +1 re-roll bonus. Might need multiple types of re-roll token since Enhance, Gadgets and Parasite I guess all have their own limits on how many you can have etc. Might be worth defining if those abilities re-rolls stack as well?

From chapter one:

============
Re-rolls from different sources may be added together, but a model may never benefit from more than six re-rolls on any dice pool throw.
============

So yes, they stack up to 6.

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2016, 01:57:37 PM »
From chapter one:

============
Re-rolls from different sources may be added together, but a model may never benefit from more than six re-rolls on any dice pool throw.
============

So yes, they stack up to 6.

Yup but no target can have more than +2 re-rolls from an enhance power, gadgets doesn't specify limits and parasite doesn't allow more than +3 re-rolls on any single roll so it could be important to know where the re-rolls came from.

Incidentally I'm assuming gadgets' re-rolls work like the others in that it's a limited pool of re-rolls you can spend. The wording is ambiguous and sounds like if you roll 2 goals you get 2 re-rolls on every dice roll that turn.

Make a Chance Roll at the start of your turn. The number of goals rolled is the number of Re-rolls you may use for any die rolls you make until the beginning of your next turn. These Re-rolls do not accumulate from round to round.

Also do re-rolls granted by parasite need to be used on a single roll or can they accumulate and be spent like enhance re-rolls?

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2016, 06:12:57 PM »
Yup but no target can have more than +2 re-rolls from an enhance power, gadgets doesn't specify limits and parasite doesn't allow more than +3 re-rolls on any single roll so it could be important to know where the re-rolls came from.

Incidentally I'm assuming gadgets' re-rolls work like the others in that it's a limited pool of re-rolls you can spend. The wording is ambiguous and sounds like if you roll 2 goals you get 2 re-rolls on every dice roll that turn.

Also do re-rolls granted by parasite need to be used on a single roll or can they accumulate and be spent like enhance re-rolls?

You asked some excellent questions that made me go back and want to re-think and clarify Re-rolls and powers that grant them.

So here's some re-worked text:

=======================
Re-Rolls
A character’s powers, special maneuvers, or backgrounds often allow his player to re-roll failed dice in specific situations. Whenever re-rolls come into play, a player can pick up a die that rolled less than 4 and roll it again, or if he's feeling lucky, he can pick up a die that rolled 4 or 5 and try to throw a 6 with it! The same die may never be re-rolled more than once, even if a throw has "extra" re-rolls left over.

For an easy reminder, we note the number of Re-rolls allowed on a throw in brackets next to the relevant trait or dice pool. For example, if Sky’s brawler gets 2 Re-rolls on his 5D melee attack, he would note them like this: 5D[2]. You can use a trait’s Re-rolls on each throw of the relevant dice pool.

Temporary Re-rolls
Add Temporary Re-rolls from powers and abilities into a Re-roll Pool. Your Re-roll pool may never exceed six Re-rolls. Spend these temporary Re-rolls on dice throws just like permanent Re-rolls granted by powers. You can also add them to dice throws with permanent Re-rolls. A model may never benefit from more than four re-rolls on any dice pool throw.

Example: Sky’s brawler possesses unbreakable claws granting him two re-rolls in his 5D melee attack pool, so he notes this on his roster as 5D[2]. If Sky rolls this pool and gets 3, 3, 4, 5, and 5, he can pick up two failed dice and roll them again. If on a later throw he gets a 1, 4, 5, 5, and 6, he could pick up the 1 and throw it again, but if it fails he cannot re-roll it a second time, because the same die may never be re-rolled more than once.

Example: If Sky’s mutant also received +2 Re-rolls from his ally’s Enhance power, he’d note a “2” in his Re-roll Pool box. If he wanted to use these temporary Re-rolls on an attack roll, he’d roll 5D[4], and have the ability to re-roll up to four dice on his throw. Once used, those temporary Re-rolls would be expended.

Enhance (major)
You can increase the capabilities of characters within 10” of you. Use a special action and make a 6D check. Every two goals you score grant your target +1 Re-roll to his Re-roll pool. You can split Re-rolls between multiple targets within 10” of you.

Enhance (minor)
You can increase the capabilities of characters within 5” of you. Use a special action and make a 5D check. Every two goals you score grant your target +1 Re-roll on a check of his choice. You can split Re-rolls between multiple targets within 5” of you.

Example: Prof Weird tries to Enhance Ox and Simian. He rolls 5D and scores 4 goals! This gives him +2 Re-rolls to impart, and he gives one to Ox and one to Simian.

Gadgets (minor)
You have an array of gadgets and devices in your utility belt or bag of tricks that you can use to give you an advantage against your foes. Make a Chance Roll at the start of your turn. The number of goals rolled is the number of Re-rolls added to your Re-roll pool.

You also have a 3D, 10” Body-damage ranged attack.

Parasite (minor)
You drain the vital energies of your foes and use them to power and heal yourself! Make a 5D Psyche based attack against a foe in melee contact with you. If you remove at least 1 Psyche damage box, you may heal one of your own missing Body or Psyche damage boxes, or add +1 to your Re-roll pool.

=====================

What this does is codify, streamline, and standardize Re-rolls, temporary Re-rolls, and the powers that grant them.

I also cut the max re-rolls on one throw down from 6 to 4. The largest dice pools we're going to have are around 8, and I like the idea of max re-rolls on one throw at half that.

These changes mean you can accumulate Re-rolls from different sources and use them as you see fit without having to worry about tracking where they came from or what their limits are.

It can result in a situation where your Re-rolls hit the ceiling at six and you can't gain further bennies from say, an Enhance, but I am willing to trade that odd instance for this streamlining of play and consistency.

This will also necessitate a small square on the character sheet for tracking temporary re-rolls.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:35:33 PM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline MHoxie

• Bookworm
  • Peek-a-boo
« Reply #293 on: December 18, 2016, 12:04:06 AM »
Should a character with Shrinking activated suffer more knockback?

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #294 on: December 18, 2016, 01:41:11 AM »
Should a character with Shrinking activated suffer more knockback?

In SuperSystem, yes. But not in SMF. We're not going to sweat those details. That's not to say we don't pick our spots. I think that one we can let go.

Changed my mind! I decided this was a cool enough idea/effect that I added it in.  ;D

Thanks!

P.S. Have yo gotten to play any games yet? Just wondering!  :)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 10:03:37 AM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #295 on: December 18, 2016, 05:17:05 PM »
So done some more work on tokens and added a couple of scenario specific ones. I didn't like the first entangle so I made a variant I might use instead, I still don't like the Hidden token though... Need to tidy things up with lining things up a bit better then making multiples of each token per sheet where appropriate. Is there anything obvious I've missed?

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:29:26 AM by Cait Sidhe »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #296 on: December 18, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
You could add more +1 Re-Roll tokens as players will need multiples of these.

Also +4" Reach, +10" Reach, +6" Move (from Metamorph).

Also, can you format it for A5?

Thanks!

Offline kimryoung

• Bookworm
« Reply #297 on: December 18, 2016, 07:20:17 PM »
Scott,

When you take Archery as your major power for the Blaster Archetype do you still get to choose two minor powers to go with the powers you get from taking Archery?

It would seem to me it should be instead of, since none of the Blaster minor powers reflect a Green Arrow or a Hawkeye.

That needs to be made clear

Also you should add Sonic Blast to the list of quiver of trick arrows. Green Arrow often used this in the JLA!

Kim

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #298 on: December 18, 2016, 07:43:08 PM »
Scott,

When you take Archery as your major power for the Blaster Archetype do you still get to choose two minor powers to go with the powers you get from taking Archery?

It would seem to me it should be instead of, since none of the Blaster minor powers reflect a Green Arrow or a Hawkeye.

That needs to be made clear

Also you should add Sonic Blast to the list of quiver of trick arrows. Green Arrow often used this in the JLA!

Kim

Added Sonic Blast to the Archery package. Good call.

Yes, Archery does not take away from your minor power picks. Nothing really suggests it would. When I make an Archer I just choose Boosts.

I did add Fortune because Blaster lacked its 8th power choice. So you could take a combo of Iron Will, Fortune, and any of the three boosts.

Also Construct and Amphibious--but these are highly unlikely. But they are options.  ;D

Thanks, Kim!

P.S. Also, one of my fav obscure Marvel chatacters is John Byrne's Oxbow. Super-Strength and archery!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:47:29 PM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #299 on: December 18, 2016, 09:09:49 PM »
You could add more +1 Re-Roll tokens as players will need multiples of these.

Quote from: Cait Sidhe
...then making multiples of each token per sheet where appropriate.
  ;)

Also +4" Reach, +10" Reach, +6" Move (from Metamorph).

Yeah I thought about tokens for each of the forms but decided they were too abstract and the tokens would need to convey too much info. I guess the repeated buffs that aren't powers are one way to do it but it doesn't necessarily help you remember the form (if you aren't using appropriately different minis). Maybe a quick reference including the metamorph forms and tokens for Form One, Form Two etc...?