Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 09, 2024, 07:17:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696887
  • Total Topics: 118797
  • Online Today: 501
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [Goalsystem] Super Mission Force  (Read 49505 times)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
Re: [Goalsystem] Super Mission Force
« Reply #330 on: December 26, 2016, 11:05:19 PM »
Soooo…… consider this for Leaping:

“Exchange your standard move for a 4D action check. Declare where you want to land. You may leap 15” high and long, adding 1” for each goal scored from your single roll to both. If you fail to score at least 2 goals, your opponent can decide where you land within 5” of your intended landing spot.

Super strength (minor) allows you a 20” leap instead of 15”, and Super strength (major) 25”,  plus the 4D roll for both powers.*

If you land in base contact with an enemy model, the leap counts as a charge and you may attack them. If your leap path takes you past a flying foe, you can make a single melee attack against them instead, but then you cannot land in base contact with another enemy model.”

*<side note, remove the +1D and +2D leaping bonus under super strength of both>.

Then add to the Flight Power:

“You can take a Special action and fly up to 40” instead of 20”. If so, you must remain in flight and not land, nor take any combat actions. Add +2D to your body defense rolls when you take this action. Street level archetypes with Flight may not take this special action.”

Comment - I think this puts Flying and Leaping powers in better proportion to each other. Also it reduces to a single roll for Leaping instead of multiple rolls.

That makes leaping worse than flying in every way... You can't move as far in a leap plus it has the potential for your opponent to deviate you a third of the distance you moved, then with flying you also have immunity to melee attacks from non-flying models. I do like the idea of combining the jump and landing checks into a single roll to simplify things though and the clarification on the attack on a flying foe being your attack for that turn.

Technically in comic books flying is always gonna be better than someone who can jump really, really far but in a game where each power costs the same essentially, compromises need to be made. Also I get that it's more about choosing powers to fit a concept than min-maxing but again movement powers become pretty directly comparable.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #331 on: December 27, 2016, 12:57:58 AM »
Just to clarify, you only roll the 4D one time and add it to each base number.

Also, you don't get to attack twice. That would be really powerful and not at all the intent of the power. I will clarify this to make sure no one else thinks that.

Beyond this, I'll look at leaping again, but I am not immediately inclined to make any major changes to it.

Thanks!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #332 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:13 PM »
I've made some adjustments to Leaping. They'll show up in the next revision, which I'll post later tonight!  :)

Offline kimryoung

• Bookworm
« Reply #333 on: December 28, 2016, 02:29:48 AM »
A few questions Scott:

When breaking from melee against multiple opponents, do they get there bonus for outnumbering the foe breaking away?

Characters attacking a grappled model gain +1D, does this include the character continuing to attack after the initial grapple?
Under burning it says a model aflame suffers a TN4 hit each round. Do you mean you must make 4 goals or take 1 hit, or should it be a 4D attack? It could use an example.

Does falling work like drowning? That is, the difference between the failed TN roll is the damage taken? The example given does not indicate the damage taken. Also it says models that survive a fall are knocked down and must spend 1” of their move to stand up. Under knock down rule it says spend 2”?

Under Poison and Disease it says no re-roll for Armor, but armor doesn’t give a re-roll, just reduces damage. Should it say no reduction for armor?

Can you use one of your free actions to re-charge a power or ability the same turn you use it or do you have to wait till your following turn?

On KO checks it says that if a character passes his KO check he can remain standing and fight, but what if the damage that KO’d them also caused a knock back and then a Knock down prior to the KO? Does the character stay knocked down?

Thanks
Kim

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #334 on: December 28, 2016, 03:13:24 AM »
A few questions Scott:

When breaking from melee against multiple opponents, do they get there bonus for outnumbering the foe breaking away?

Yes.

Characters attacking a grappled model gain +1D, does this include the character continuing to attack after the initial grapple?

No, the grappler is busy grappling his target and squeezing for damage. I'll clarify this.

Under burning it says a model aflame suffers a TN4 hit each round. Do you mean you must make 4 goals or take 1 hit, or should it be a 4D attack? It could use an example.

It's the former. I'll make this clearer as well.  ;)

Does falling work like drowning? That is, the difference between the failed TN roll is the damage taken? The example given does not indicate the damage taken. Also it says models that survive a fall are knocked down and must spend 1” of their move to stand up. Under knock down rule it says spend 2”?

Yes, it's similar. Again, I'll clarify this and make it consistent.

Under Poison and Disease it says no re-roll for Armor, but armor doesn’t give a re-roll, just reduces damage. Should it say no reduction for armor?

Yes. I'll fix that.

Can you use one of your free actions to re-charge a power or ability the same turn you use it or do you have to wait till your following turn?

Recharges occur at the beginning of your turn. So no.

On KO checks it says that if a character passes his KO check he can remain standing and fight, but what if the damage that KO’d them also caused a knock back and then a Knock down prior to the KO? Does the character stay knocked down?

"Remain standing" is more figurative language. I will use different terms there.  ;D

Thanks
Kim

No, thank you!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 03:15:57 AM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #335 on: December 28, 2016, 04:08:56 AM »
Version 1.36 is up!

https://app.box.com/s/4sx2qknhb2nd4ptn8o4wrvmqd3ldgoa6

Version 1.36 changes

-- Split Metamorph forms into two tracks, Elasticity and Shape-Shifter
-- Added the Save minor power
-- Adjusted Leaping
-- Lots of minor edits and touch-ups

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #336 on: December 29, 2016, 02:32:11 PM »
Folks, I am planning to wrap up the play-testing phase of this process this week.

What does this mean? Once Joe D starts the layout, major changes and additions will be much harder to do. We can make all the minor edits and corrections we need to up to and even after we release the PDF and POD book, but any major changes will be unlikely from this point on.

I am very happy with how things have rounded into shape. I am going to keep working the text this week, and I hope to play-test again tonight. I've got a nicely re-based and touched-up Frog-Man mini to test the new and improved Leaping rules out on.
I think we've hit a sweet spot of detail and playability.

If you have been meaning to try the rules or have tried or read them and have not said your piece, do so now.  :D

Thanks!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #337 on: December 29, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »
Updated to version 1.37

Major changes were some edits on the Advanced Archetype Maneuvers.

Thanks!

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #338 on: December 31, 2016, 05:21:39 PM »
Updated revision 1.38 uploaded:

Highlights include:

-- Added scenario rules for Civilians
-- Clarified some stuff with Density Decrease
-- Added a note to the Telekinesis text

Not a whole lot else with this version.

Thanks!

Offline kimryoung

• Bookworm
« Reply #339 on: December 31, 2016, 09:55:48 PM »
Scott, some thoughts as you are near completion

The Wild Card Maneuver “Desperate Defense” only works if attacked by multiple foes and as such could see minimal use, especially in games with small numbers.

I would suggest it be allowed against any Melee attack, and increase the recharge to 2+
This would make Wild Card characters more equitable with others.

Here is one I suggested a while back, but had no real concept at the time, but this might work:

Street Level Henchmen

Your henchman group consists of non-powered thugs, gang bangers, beat cops, security guards, rioters, dock workers, militia men, etc.  You can exchange one Street Level Hero or Villain for a Street level Henchman group.
Street Level Henchman does not get any minor powers, but can be equipped with Two (2) of the following:

1. Firearms – you are armed with pistols, shotguns or even throwing weapons. Can make a 10” Ranged attack.

2. Close combat weapon – you are armed with a Billy club, knife, ball bat, tire iron, chain, riot baton, etc. This grants you a +1 re-roll on melee attack goal rolls.

3. Close combat defense – you are equipped with a riot shield, helmet, shoulder pads and vest, etc. This grants you a +1 to defense body goal rolls.

4. Hordes – you have extra help waiting in reserve or hiding in the shadows. At the beginning of your turn make a chance roll. The number of goals scored is the number of models previously removed from the same group that appear to re-fill your ranks. Place them within 2” of the other group members.

5. Special weapons – you are equipped with weapons for special cases such as tear gas, flash-bang grenades, bottle bombs, mace, smoke bombs, etc. Once per game you may make an attack as if you had the Stun minor power body based attack.

Street Level Henchmen are subject to Panic. If you have less than half your starting numbers, make a TN4 check at the start of your turn or suffer the difference in members of the group that flee in panic. If this removes all of the remaining group it is considered wiped out. This check is made prior to any roll for Hordes.

Finally, I still think that Veteran Henchman is underpowered for the tradeoff of 5 vs 10 models. I would suggest that Veteran Henchman also gain the Wild Card Special Maneuvers to reflect their training and experience. This should make them more worthwhile to take.

Thanks again for all your consideration Scott.

Kim

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #340 on: January 01, 2017, 03:19:06 PM »
Veterans don't really fit the scope of what I'm doing here so I am just dropping the rules out. If you want to field fewer than 10 models, I've included a note advising you to use a damage tracker or dice pips, or just treat each model as wirth rwo damage points.

Job done.

I like your street level rules. I've altered them slightly and included them. This makes normal Henchmen more elite, and lessens even more the need for Vets.

Thanks!

Offline kimryoung

• Bookworm
« Reply #341 on: January 02, 2017, 02:43:56 AM »
Some comments and questions on Super Powers:

Damage Field - does this work during attack, defense or both? Any time you are contacted or contact others, friend or foe?

Duplicate – sentence says any time your duplicate takes damage and fails his KO check it takes a toll, but previously it states the copy automatically fails their KO check. This should be more clear.

Also the example says Z-Rox copy can take his turn after Z-Rox finishes his turn, but in the rule text is states the duplicate can go before or after you. Needs clarified.

Enhance (both major and minor) – is there a limit to how many re-rolls a character can accumulate?

Flight - It states it takes a free action to land, but does it take free action to take off? Doesn’t  say.

Force Field – Can you decide to push your force field to the limit after your opponent makes their goal rolls, or do you need to decide before any opponents roll? If you do push it, does this stay in effect for subsequent attacks against you during the same round?

Fortune – If you decide to take the +1D[1] on your defense roll, can the extra re-roll that comes with it be used on other goal rolls such that if the +1D is successful, the [1] re-roll bonus can be used for one of your other failed defense rolls?

Healing – it says you can heal yourself or any character in melee contact with you. That would be an enemy. Should it just say any friendly character you are in base contact with?

Immortal – Can a KO’d Immortal be attacked before they stand back up? Would they make defense rolls? Can you just keep attacking them while they are down to keep them from every standing up?

Iron Will – Does the +1D to KO checks apply to KO’s to the body or only psyche KO’s?

Mentalism – can Mind Control be used on opposing characters in melee, including with the Mentalist? Can it be used on friendly characters? Even ones that have already taken a turn?

Servitor/Sidekick – If your sidekick arrives late, where are they placed? Board edge? Scenario starting spot for your side? Near your character?

Shrinking – getting +2 Re-rolls for melee attacks seems like a lot for a tiny character! I get the +2 for defense as they should be hard to hit. Even so, if you stack Shrinking with Melee Weapons and Super Agility as a Wild Card character you would get +4 Re-rolls on attack and defense. That’s one Mighty Mite!

You might want to revisit this power and the killer combination you could make with it as it does not fit a character like Ant-man. At least reduce/remove the melee attack bonus. Not sure they should even be allowed to use Melee Weapons with this either.

Summoning – If you summon a henchman group do they get 2 minor powers like a normal henchman group? Maybe they should only be Street Level Henchmen such as occultists, pack of wild animals, skeletons or soldiers from antiquity.

Thanks again

Kim

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #342 on: January 02, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »
Some comments and questions on Super Powers:

Damage Field - does this work during attack, defense or both? Any time you are contacted or contact others, friend or foe?

Any time contact is made. So both.

Duplicate – sentence says any time your duplicate takes damage and fails his KO check it takes a toll, but previously it states the copy automatically fails their KO check. This should be more clear.

Ok.

Also the example says Z-Rox copy can take his turn after Z-Rox finishes his turn, but in the rule text is states the duplicate can go before or after you. Needs clarified.

Will do.

Enhance (both major and minor) – is there a limit to how many re-rolls a character can accumulate?

This is explained in the general rules for Re-rolls--6 Re-rolls in your temp pool.

Flight - It states it takes a free action to land, but does it take free action to take off? Doesn’t  say.

No. It's part of your Movement to take off.

Force Field – Can you decide to push your force field to the limit after your opponent makes their goal rolls, or do you need to decide before any opponents roll? If you do push it, does this stay in effect for subsequent attacks against you during the same round?

I will clarify this.

Fortune – If you decide to take the +1D[1] on your defense roll, can the extra re-roll that comes with it be used on other goal rolls such that if the +1D is successful, the [1] re-roll bonus can be used for one of your other failed defense rolls?

Nope.

Healing – it says you can heal yourself or any character in melee contact with you. That would be an enemy. Should it just say any friendly character you are in base contact with?

Nope. You can heal any character. Sometimes it might behoove you to heal an enemy if he can help you against a greater threat.

Immortal – Can a KO’d Immortal be attacked before they stand back up? Would they make defense rolls? Can you just keep attacking them while they are down to keep them from every standing up?

I will clarify this.

Iron Will – Does the +1D to KO checks apply to KO’s to the body or only psyche KO’s?

KO checks, period. So both.

Mentalism – can Mind Control be used on opposing characters in melee, including with the Mentalist? Can it be used on friendly characters? Even ones that have already taken a turn?

You cannot use Mentalism while in Melee. I will clarify for your other questions.

Servitor/Sidekick – If your sidekick arrives late, where are they placed? Board edge? Scenario starting spot for your side? Near your character?

Again, I will clarify this.

Shrinking – getting +2 Re-rolls for melee attacks seems like a lot for a tiny character! I get the +2 for defense as they should be hard to hit. Even so, if you stack Shrinking with Melee Weapons and Super Agility as a Wild Card character you would get +4 Re-rolls on attack and defense. That’s one Mighty Mite!

You might want to revisit this power and the killer combination you could make with it as it does not fit a character like Ant-man. At least reduce/remove the melee attack bonus. Not sure they should even be allowed to use Melee Weapons with this either.

I'll look at this, but remember, Melee Weapon is an abstraction. It does have to literally mean "sword" or "claws". But I will look at it.

Summoning – If you summon a henchman group do they get 2 minor powers like a normal henchman group? Maybe they should only be Street Level Henchmen such as occultists, pack of wild animals, skeletons or soldiers from antiquity.

I'll look at this.

Thanks again

You're welcome!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:48:50 AM by fourcolorfigs »

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
« Reply #343 on: January 02, 2017, 04:09:25 AM »

I looked at this again. The example is correct. It details a specific game instance where Z-Rox has just acted to duplicate himself, and so his duplicate can only act after him--he did not exist prior to being created by Duplicate.

Just an FYI.  ;)

Offline MHoxie

• Bookworm
  • Peek-a-boo
« Reply #344 on: January 03, 2017, 12:55:18 PM »
Should Servitor/Sidekicks and Thralls made by the Vampire power be prevented from creating more vampires? What about summoned beings? While it would fit the fictional tropes for vampires to spread, it may be a game balance issue...

Also, what about a power to make barriers/walls?