Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690592
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Northstar U.S. Para photo's  (Read 3462 times)

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
Northstar U.S. Para photo's
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:56:43 PM »
Hello all,
This is my first time posting in this particular forum and the first post on this site in awhile.
I'm currently taking a break from my 20mm stuff and working on my long time WWW2 U.S. project in 28mm, and I was wondering if anyone has used or seen / pictures of Nick's at northstar's  U.S. paratroopers. I have several of his Russian and U.S. infantry sets ,but was wondering how the para's were? I'm currently mixing them with stuff from Victory force and just looking for that spice of life variety.
If anyone has photo's or can speak to these sets I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks,
Derek

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Northstar U.S. Para photo's
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:24:01 AM »
Do you mean North Star's 1/48 scale figs? I have a pack of U.S. Paratrooper riflemen and the command pack, still in their blisters. If no one else speaks up with pictures (hopefully painted), I'll take a shot of what I have.

I'm still waiting for pix of the newer German figs --

WWG010 German Tank Busters (1945)
WWG011 Germans with Assault Rifles (1945)
WWG012 Germans with Automatic Rifles (1945)
WWG013 Germans with MG42 (1945)
WWG014 German Riflemen (1945)
WWG015 German Riflemen (1945)

And hoping Nick and Richard Ansell will do a Russian Command pack for all my leaderless troops.

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:56 AM »
Hey thanks for getting back. Yes  1/48 northstar is what I was referring to and painted or not I would love to just get an idea as to the figures make up as an aside I should be getting soon the late war tank busters so will post images when they come in. Also E-mailed Nick at Northstar and he stated that all late war packs were available as of january.

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »
Nick needs to set aside a day to relax, have a drink and take photos.   ;)

(I know you're a busy guy, Nick.)

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 06:25:47 PM »

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 07:58:53 PM »
d --

Do the Victory Force WWII figs match up well with the North Star figs? I know VF figs are bigger than 28mm, but NS' are 35/36mm.

Thanks

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 08:11:57 PM »
Schogun,
Thanks for posting the pics!!!! these are just what the doctor ordered! I will be placing an order for wwa7 and the 30cal. teams this afternoon. I will also have to open up the wallet for the rest of the para sets as well soon
Thanks again can't wait to see these painted, given I'm the slowest painter in the world , will post pictures of late war germans as soon as they get here should be any day. As for Victory and Northstar matching up I feel they match seemlessly and look great next to one another on the shelf or table top so sqaud mixing is O.K., and I have even placed Westwind SOTR heads on both brands and they are a good fit as well for the weird war side of things. Also these figure lines because they are a little closer to true 1/48th lend them selves very well to the vehicles from various manufactures in both plastic and the 1/50th stuff that is prebuilt. I will try and take some pictures of both lines and some 1/48th vehicles that I have done for you to see as soon as the weather improves.  acrylics and rain = BAD!!!!
D

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 01:26:41 AM »
D --

Thanks to North Star's figs, I game WWII in 1/48th scale, so I already have a bunch of 1/48 vehicles. The problem has been finding more 1/48 infantry, MGs, etc. Nick's line has dried up it seems, Tumbling Dice's 1/48th figs are smaller than NS, and Tamiya's are smaller still.

Here's a photo comparing the three I mention:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/schogun/2006753605/

Here's a photo comparing comparing VF and NS (scroll down):
http://mainly28s.com/
VF is much shorter than NS.

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 03:00:18 AM »
Schogun,
Looked at that mainly 28 scale comparison link and the NS appears to be a late war german ? (on large side)and the VF appears to be a U.S. soldier(on small side) the weird thing about that photo is it makes VF look much smaller then they appear in the flesh and that NS looks huge. What I have noticed about VF is that some are smaller within the range itself and NS ranges are the same way except( in the other direction)some of my Russians are much bigger then my U.S.Infantry but the scale creep is only minimaly noticibal between ranges. I have several of both lines and they are much better scale wise when next to a 1/48 scale vehicle then true 28mm and subtle differences help with sqaud composition and is to me very authentic being we're all not 6'1" as all manufactures would like us to be. I hope to post if the rain stops pictures of both lines. I never used tumbling dice but I'm always looking for high quality miniatures how are they? and who supplies them in the states?
P.S. ordered those Para's today can't wait for them to get here your photo's were a big help thanks again.
D

Offline Schogun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 12:35:38 PM »
Tumbling Dice sculpts are nice. Thinner than others (more natural build).

As to where to buy, not sure where you are:

In the UK, Tumbling Dice (direct)
http://www.tumblingdiceuk.com/

In the US, I think I bought mine from Brookhurst Hobbies (CA)
http://brookhursthobbies.com/

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 04:02:29 PM »
Verlinden Productions do 1/48 scale WW2 figures too, but they are not intended for wargamers, so are a bit pricey. Some cool stuff though.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 12:53:01 PM »
Lots of 1/48 scale figures (and vehicles) at Quarter Kit too.

http://www.phpshopxml.com/quakit.shop

Offline dsmith

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 08:38:19 PM »
Hey  white knight ,
Bounced into the link, seems to me that maybe gasoline have dropped several of their paper pazers? I recall seeing and drooling over some E-25 E-10 full kits or conversions don't really remember which it was , but they sure were heavy on price, but that aside some very nice stuff still exists in their paper pazer list. I will throw this out , does anyone know who is stocking the DUST game 1/48th model kits of the Luther or Mickey in the states.I think I might go with one or both for my 2 on going projects.
D