Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:50:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689231
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Horrid Dead (Mantic's TWD)  (Read 24888 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: The Horrid Dead (Mantic's TWD)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 09:30:12 AM »
That board looks really good.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
The guy at blackjack legacy did a great job on his board  :)!  I like what he did with his tents too and want to see if I could put together some convincing dome tents at some point.  Thanks for linking his channel;  There are lots of good ideas there.  It looks like he stayed at around 24" for his board where I cut mine down to the 20" the mat was at.  He probably has a better single tile game area as a result but I stick by my decision because I want comparability with any future tiles they release for me to reproduce.       

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 06:57:19 PM »
The guy at blackjack legacy did a great job on his board  :)

Not to try and butter you up, but I like your board better!

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 03:09:56 AM »
Thanks to everyone for kind words and sharing your own ideas.  If you are interested in a better description of what I did I filled in some blanks on my blog.

http://horridvoidspace.blogspot.ca/2017/01/twd-board-lay-of-land.html

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2017, 03:40:16 AM »
Completed the King County Cruiser to replace the police car template.  Still needs weathering but it will work as a teaser.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2017, 06:52:38 AM »
Excellent. Great lettering and details. It's stuff like that which takes it to the next level.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »
I finished another car.  My choice of "standard" cars is rather limited at the moment but have one ballsy vintage sport car didn't seem like a bad thing.  It's a 68' Shelby GTX but the scale makes it seem a little bigger and nastier than it should.  As someone who is in denial about cars because mine is a shifting pile of iron oxide it would look fine as a badass muscle car of indiscriminate pedigree.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2017, 12:21:00 PM »
Oh yes, that one is most awesome. I've just scored three 1:43 cars for the game, but I'm not looking forwards to painting them. But yours show I really need to paint them. Much better this way (although I will gloss or satin coat them afterwards, perfer them that way). Those last two shots are epic man 8)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2017, 06:33:27 AM »
Thanks Malebogia  :).  I love me some diecast cars.  Don't be intimidated by diecasts.  They are a huge canvas compared to minis so they paint quick as long as you don't use them as a canvas to demonstrate your freehand skill.  I kept mine as straightforward as I could (the cruiser was a bit of dicking about with all the exasperating lettering  >:() but simple 3 value matt colours and basic lines to dress them up a little feels right because they remind me of what I expect to find in a comic and unify them with everything else I am putting together.  I love the form of diecasts (and their price :) ) so once that shine is down they rock.  Some people hit the factory paint with dullcote and call it done and I have heard that works very well too but I'm too envious of the cars I saw in the core book so that's what I'm chasing.  I have overpainted any diecasts I have for the table for a few games but until now I have been set on keeping windows transparent and have disassembled the vehicles and removed windows and headlight before priming the bodies.  looking at the opaque windows the TWD display models have I am sorely tempted to copy the blue black and amber reflections they feature.

This is especially important because I just committed to getting my next wave of TWD expansions.  Integrating my diecasts with the Mantic wrecks is important to me to really try to capture that comic effect and keep the terrain uniform.  I do want to do some experiments with frosted/crazed glass but that's just a side thing because I never tried the effect before.  I use filters and paint.net to alter my photos.  I mostly use it to set "cover graphics" for my blog spots but find what I'm doing with it isn't as cool as the Prisma images other projects have been sharing.  Luckily I'm also stabbing at the AMC series as source of inspiration (I think I prefer the show because that's what I saw first) the sway toward wanna be cinematography will have to do in lieu of comic styled rendering.

My 2017 redemption\painted models to purchases score is going to be tanked by this order of TWD toys :(.  I will have some significant damage control to get my paint score out of the red when this stuff arrives.  Until all of it is painted I'm not to buy myself any more wayward miniatures for the pile in 2017.  Painting models I already own is still fair game if I want a break from the walker project.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:46:59 AM by horridperson »

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 07:56:46 AM »
Honestly, I think your clear windows look way, way, WAY better than painted ones. They're much more realistic and less like a block of resin/metal/plastic. So I'd say you keep doing what you did :)

And considering painting them...I just thinking it's a bit of a drag ;). Maybe because I now finished 5 Cyberpunk cars and this involves a lot of airbrushing (and masking and other annoying things to get it right). But for cars like these I can imagine they can be done much faster.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2017, 09:02:55 PM »
Amazing pictures of the cars in action!  ;)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 07:33:33 AM »
Thanks for following and commenting on the project.  I'm between orders for more minis but I've been keep at scenery.  I'm trying to build 4" forest sections keeping in line with the points costs for balance in scenarios.  With enough of them I will be able to bulk out larger wooded areas during games.  This is a WIP of the test piece.  Also threw in a pic of the farm truck if I pay a visit to the Greene farm or some other rural area.  Hershel would probably be pissed at me because the I didn't take very good care of his truck and it's all crappy and rusty  lol.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 09:59:17 AM »
That is nice rust.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:29 AM »
That truck is spot on! A die cast? Excellent model 8).
For the woods I will be using the templates from the Days gone Bye expansion and simply dunk woods and shrubbery on top of these.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2017, 10:26:46 AM »
That truck is spot on! A die cast? Excellent model 8).
For the woods I will be using the templates from the Days gone Bye expansion and simply dunk woods and shrubbery on top of these.
That is a marketing opportunity for mantic, precut (MDF?) Bases in the shapes from the expansion sets.