Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:02:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: -"Hey dad, when do you do hobby stuff?"-"Well,..."  (Read 3850 times)

Offline kalimsshar

• Schoolboy
-"Hey dad, when do you do hobby stuff?"-"Well,..."
« on: January 21, 2017, 12:28:57 PM »
Hi everybody!
I say dad, as i am, but mum can answer too.
I can't find time to do hobby stuff (paint, sculpt, scenary, play...) with my twins (1 year old...both ;)) Betwin work, cook, eat, clean, sleep, spend time with my wife, spend time with my children, have a drink with friends... I feel like I can't do hobby stuff.
How dads, and mums, do you manage your time? When do you paint and so? Do you need a well organize special room to do your stuffs?

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: -"Hey dad, when do you do hobby stuff?"-"Well,..."
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 01:31:06 PM »
Well, first off you are not alone.  ;) Myself, I have 3 under the age of 6. Hearing that you have twins aged 1, I would think it is partly the fact that you have twins and also that they are so young. As they get older, your routine should settle in a bit and you can usually try and work in a bit of time for hobbying, however it will likely never be as much as before kids for some appreciable time.

For myself, I have a dedicated painting/hobby station in a corner that I can leave set up at all times. I usually find time when the kids are sleeping, and generally have to make a specific effort to get things done. I have to choose to paint stuff rather than read/watch tv/sleep sometimes. I might get 1 game in per month, sometimes more, sometimes less. The upside is that in the next year or so, I foresee being able to start playing some games with my kids, which means I will have regular opponents!

At this stage, just do what you can to stay interested. Grab an hour here, or 30 mins there. It is probably not likely you will get many chances to sit uninterrupted for multiple hours of painting anymore. If you are too tired to paint, just spend some time on this fine forum perusing the work of others and it can help keep you inspired! With kids, it is easy to get bogged down with all the responsibilities, but remember to try and keep a little bit of time for yourself. It will help keep you sane.  lol
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Shub-Nullgurath

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 01:47:05 PM »
I look forward to the day that I can have miniature clones of myself working as assembly and base coating slaves.

"Hey, you and your sister take this cardboard box outside. Put the apron on and gas mask on and have her spray it with the primer. What will Daddy be doing? He's gonna crack open a nice cold one and relax."

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 01:51:29 PM »
When they're in bed, when we've tidied up and there are no absolutely urgent jobs to do (there are always jobs to do but they don't always NEED to be done).  In short from about 21:00 to 22:30 there is a window of opportunity. Given I have no dedicated space to paint or model sometimes I just can't be bothered getting everything down from the attic only to put it back again an hour later.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 02:04:44 PM »
The way I get to go gaming most weekends is to take my 7yo with me.  He generally has his own force and his attention span lasts about a turn and a half before he wanders off.  Fortunately, my gaming friends like him.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 02:18:04 PM »
Hi everybody!
I say dad, as i am, but mum can answer too.
I can't find time to do hobby stuff (paint, sculpt, scenary, play...) with my twins (1 year old...both ;)) Betwin work, cook, eat, clean, sleep, spend time with my wife, spend time with my children, have a drink with friends... I feel like I can't do hobby stuff.
How dads, and mums, do you manage your time? When do you paint and so? Do you need a well organize special room to do your stuffs?

Do like I did and get rid of the wife. No one nags me about mini buying or what I do with my time.

I was extra lucky in finding a girlfriend who loves it when I hobby because she knows how much I enjoy it.

That girl is my next wife  lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 02:39:14 PM »
When they're in bed, when we've tidied up and there are no absolutely urgent jobs to do (there are always jobs to do but they don't always NEED to be done).  In short from about 21:00 to 22:30 there is a window of opportunity. Given I have no dedicated space to paint or model sometimes I just can't be bothered getting everything down from the attic only to put it back again an hour later.

This.

Although not every night.  You need to space it out to make sure your wife/husband/partner doesn't feel too abandoned.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 02:53:54 PM »
This.

Although not every night.  You need to space it out to make sure your wife/husband/partner doesn't feel too abandoned.

Yes, definitely this too.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 03:00:45 PM »

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2017, 05:54:50 PM »
I have been pretty much dormant in hobby terms for a number of years but still occasionally feel that pang of inspiration to paint something. However, having two kiddies under the age of four and a college course means that I need to basically keep it on ice. My aim is to finish my Blood Bowl teams in under 20 years. Unfortunately that doesn't give me much time!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
Way back when our kids were small I had to balance work, kids, wife, parents, friends etc etc.  I was far more organised then and kept to 2 or 3 projects at a time.  Each in its own box and had a box of essential tools and paints all packed on an old tea trolley that had little cupboards and looked like a bit of furniture.  So at night when the wee ones were asleep I could wheel it out and start where I left off.  Also being more of an early bird than a night hawk I quite often got in an hour or so in the early morning. 

A job change gave me more time oddly enough as I had to work shifts.  So alternate weeks I had a couple of hours in the morning or in the afternoon when the kids were at school. 

Now they are grown, I am retired and I have about the same amount of time between voluntary work at the Citizens Advice Bureau, looking after a very ill mother, "grandad duties" and voluntary work with a veterans charity, a wargames club and helping at a primary school.  But I use the same organisation though I have a permanent work area and table.  Sadly the old tea trolley has gone.  It now resides with a grandson and is home to his lego.

Even now I do most of my hobby stuff in the late evening or early morning as I have the habit for that.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 06:50:59 PM »
Keep organised
A dedicated area that you can close off from little fingers
Wait for them to go to bed and don't have high expectations for getting things done

The kids will grow up and in a few years you'll get your hobby time back.

But your chance to have a toddler in your lap reading picture books, or sitting on the floor playing blocks or doll house is very fleeting, cherish it while you can.

Hadrian39

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 06:54:53 PM »
When your child moves out of the house and goes to college  lol
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:09:10 PM by Hadrian39 »

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2017, 06:57:19 PM »

But your chance to have a toddler in your lap reading picture books, or sitting on the floor playing blocks or doll house is very fleeting, cherish it while you can.

This is the best advice.

Offline kalimsshar

• Schoolboy
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 09:52:16 PM »

Definitly my top priority!!

Anyway thanks a lot for all your answers that will inspire my next hobby time. Community is good. You are good ones all.
Best wishes.