Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 01:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697702
  • Total Topics: 118854
  • Online Today: 620
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The disappearance of GW half-orcs - what happened?  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: The disappearance of GW half-orcs - what happened?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
Fluff-wise, half-orcs ceased to make much sense about the time orcs/orks became geneered creations of the Brainboyz.  They don't reproduce sexually, probably don't even have the parts needed to do so, and they certainly don't seem to have sexes or genders anymore.  All about the fungal spores since those days.  While I guess you could modify the fluff so that a human (or elf, or whatever) female could be infected by the spores and produce a hybrid, that walks a little too close to the whole Aliens trope that the Genestealers are already ripping off.

Did the fungal stuff ever apply to Warhammer fantasy, though, as opposed to 40K? There were female slottabased orcs in the 1980s, but I'm not sure if any were made thereafter.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 07:33:55 PM »
It must have been released just before the second edition of Warhammer came out. It's in the style of the first edition's bestiary, which had lots of interesting - though largely unexplained - troop types (orc guards armed with darts, for example, like a couple of the C15 armoured orcs).

A correction: it's in the style of the first-ed. supplement Forces of Fantasy, which was brilliant - really evocative little descriptions, intriguing but fairly minimal, non-prescriptive listings and - best of all - lots of John Blanche heraldry suggestions. Some of those illustrations were recycled into third edition.

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 07:37:15 PM »
A correction: it's in the style of the first-ed. supplement Forces of Fantasy, which was brilliant

Yeah, Toughness value as a letter is the give away.
Still trying to get my Gyokurinti's Raiders Chaos Hobgoblin force based on the forces of fantasy booklet painted :)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2017, 08:08:06 PM »
Yeah, Toughness value as a letter is the give away.

I notice that the better half-orc fighters have Toughness C (which would be 4 in second edition), suggesting that they've a stronger strain of orcish heritage.

Still trying to get my Gyokurinti's Raiders Chaos Hobgoblin force based on the forces of fantasy booklet painted :)

I had a good look through your thread last night: great stuff! I'm in the process of basing most of my solid-based hobgoblins for Hordes of the Things (and Dragon Rampant). I'll base up most of the slotta-based ones individually for skirmish (and DR casualty management). The solid=multibase/slotta=individual formula is also what I'm using with my slann. The half-orcs are individuals all the way, though!

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2017, 08:20:03 PM »
I've been absently collecting the citadel half-orcs for quite a while. I painted this unit a couple of years ago for a game at BOYL and I've since managed to collect another dozen or so, need to get the painted really. I've also got the half-orc slave ogre and the hero on his little horse. They are a lovely little range. Make sure you include the three that were in the LOTR range but were certainly made at the same time as the other slotta figures.

Edit - Just found a pic from the battle and it shows another unit of half orcs from another player (painted better than mine I might add!)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 08:23:13 PM by whiskey priest »

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2017, 08:45:44 PM »
Hi,

It happens that I have some spare half orcs (slotta).

Anybody interested?

Marco

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2017, 09:07:59 PM »
Hi,

It happens that I have some spare half orcs (slotta).

Anybody interested?

Marco

Which ones do you have? The one I'm very keen to get hold of is the "champion" (mail and helmet with sword aloft):

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
Hobgoblin,

send me you email address, and I'll send the pictures of what I have (as they probably are mixed with orcs and goblins...).

Thank you
Marco