Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:42:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690502
  • Total Topics: 118334
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help - figures suitable for the Tirah campaign on the NWF  (Read 6380 times)

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
Help - figures suitable for the Tirah campaign on the NWF
« on: February 28, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »
Hi,
Trying to find out what 28mm figures are available to game the Pathan revolt. Don't know if Boer war brits would fit the bill. I see Britannia have a small range including Highlanders - any opinions on those?

Any help appreciated.

Al

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
Re: Help - figures suitable for the Tirah campaign on the NWF
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 08:02:44 PM »
Artizan has some figures that would be appropriate. Also take a look at Perry.  Some of thiers would be good for Tirah

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 08:31:57 PM »
Hi,

For the 1897 Tirah campaign the Perry and Artizan figures aren't suitable I'm afraid. By then the British had adopted the Lee-Metford and the Indian troops were using Martinis (a few may have still had Schneiders).

The Britannia miniatures are suitable for this campaign.

The Foundry Boer War range are good for the British and their NWF Sikhs & Gurkhas and the Sikhs in the Darkest Africa range are suitable.

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/colonial/boer-wars/boer-wars-later-british-africa-and-boers-collection-bcda018/

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/colonial/north-west-frontier/north-west-frontier-best-sellers-collection-bcnw001/

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/our-ranges/darkest-africa/british/

Studio Miniatures make suitable British (I'm not 100% convinced by the sculpts but beauty is in the eye of the beholder).

http://www.studiominiatures.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=itemlist&layout=category&task=category&id=46&Itemid=469

You could also try the Redoubt Boer War range for the British.

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=3e2b9f9478642eb43a37f5ce1aa9398a

I'm sure there must be a few other Lee-Metford armed British out there but they escape me at the moment; I can't think of any other Martini armed Indians.

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:46:01 PM »
Thanks both - much appreciated. Looks like Foundry might be getting an order.

Al

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:43:17 PM »
The Old Glory NWF range is intended to represent Indian troops of the 1890s, so all the figures are depicted with Martini-Henrys. These figures are good, solid pieces. The British come from the Boer War range, and most are good, the weakest element being the British infantry: the figures are a bit spindly and two-dimensional, and rifles are thin and overly delicate. As always with OG there's plenty of variety in the available poses.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2017, 09:55:30 AM »
I had a good look through the Old Glory stuff at one of the shows and whilst the Pathans are actually very good I think I threw most of the Indian troops back in disgust.

I think I bought one pack of (non-Sikh) Indian Infantry Skirmishing http://www.oldgloryminiatures.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CNB-02 and then regretted it.

HOWEVER I fully accept that beauty is in the eye of the beholder AND I've seen some of their 2nd Anglo-Boer War painted up and looking magnificent.

Newline Designs also do some 28mm Indians and Afghans. I *think* the Indians are armed with Lee-Metfords and that the equipment combo only makes them suitable for the Boxer Rebellion if you want to be a real purist. The Afghans add a little more variety to your choices there:

http://newlinedesigns.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=521_522

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:01:45 PM »
I'd echo the concerns over OG Boer war Brits - poor really, although the Pathans are superb!

Be aware that Foundry models, while lovely, are a bit on the small side...

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »
I'd echo the concerns over OG Boer war Brits - poor really, although the Pathans are superb!

Be aware that Foundry models, while lovely, are a bit on the small side...

Yeah, but when they're skulking behind boulders you can't tell  lol

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 06:40:17 PM »
Yeah, but when they're skulking behind boulders you can't tell  lol

True, but surely the brave Brits don't skulk??!!  Leave that to the dastardly and wily Pathan! :D 

Even in comparison to the Foundry Darkest Africa Sikhs (who have Martini Henry rifles btw, so are as close to perfect as you'll get) the Foundry Boer War Brits seem slight/short. Wouldn't matter unless one is very anal about such things, but its worth being aware of...

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 08:54:25 PM »
Thanks for everyone's input. Stashed in a cupboard I found 10 of the Foundry British infantry and compared them with the Darkest Africa Sikhs, and they are a bit small, so I think I might go to Salute and look at some of the different figures in the flesh.
Having said that, I have freely mixed manufacturers in my 30 years war and late Roman collections, and a good way of equalising them is to pad the bases so that heads are around the same height. The figure scale comparison in the sticky section of the Flouncy Shirts board shows how I have mixed Foundry and 1st Corps with bigger figures. It might be, though, that it works when you have a mass of figures in close formation, less so when in skirmish formation when the fact that they are standing on a hummock might be more obvious.
One other thing - a comment from Empress in a thread gave me the impression that they were producing a new range that might be for this campaign, and that an announcement could be within weeks, so they might be worth looking out for. They tend to be slender in style, but very nice castings. Some really nice highlanders for storming the heights would be great.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:49:42 AM »
Are you SURE the Foundry stuff is small...and not just far away?  lol

Most of my collection are the Foundry Boer War and NWF/Indian Mutiny range so scale comparison isn't an issue for me. The Darkest Africa figures are Mark Copplestones' sculpts so I'm not surprised they're not a perfect match; those Perry sculpts for Foundry were made a VERY long time ago.

Offline Hobbit

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 07:55:15 AM »
One other thing - a comment from Empress in a thread gave me the impression that they were producing a new range that might be for this campaign, and that an announcement could be within weeks, so they might be worth looking out for. They tend to be slender in style, but very nice castings. Some really nice highlanders for storming the heights would be great.

Is that recent? I was talking to them, probably about 5 years ago now, about the impending range. I think they got a bit fed up of me in the end (which is only natural  :) ). Then they released the Jazz Age figures and all talk of the Tirah ceased.

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »
Hi - been trying to find the thread and failing miserably. Think I'll drop them a note and ask - if I get anything back I'll let you know.

Al

Offline Leigh Metford

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 08:06:56 PM »
I was referring specifically to the OG British Boer War infantry packs. I also have the highlanders, which are much better: fully rounded, with solid rifles.

Offline MediumAl

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2017, 11:39:56 AM »
Thanks LM, I'll see if I can get to see some at Salute. The highlanders at Dargai is the event that always sticks in my mind, so I want to make sure I get some nice figures.

Incidentally, found that thread, Hobbit - it was an old one - my fault for not paying attention.

Al