Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: All Things Zombie Rules?  (Read 6268 times)

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
All Things Zombie Rules?
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:29:36 AM »
Anyone use these?
I've just received the rules and am reading through them . I'm finding it a bit hard going though  ::). Is it easy to use once you've got a grasp of the rules?
I like lots of things about it but am wondering if I should simplify some aspects.

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
Re: All Things Zombie Rules?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »
They're easy enough once you get the idea. The rulebook is poor writing and the examples are more confusing than illuminating in some cases IIRC.

On the whole the game is OK. I think the "player vs player"-part with zombies as random encounters works much better than "player versus zombies".
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Whiteface

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 10:56:50 AM »
There will be a new version in may 2009. Judging from the difference between the core rules Chain Reaction 2 and the just released Chain Reaction 3 i guess that ATZ2 will be great - improved rules, better layout etc.
ook? ook!

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 03:56:11 PM »
All the THW rules I have are that confusing, but great games once you get going with them.

While the books can be a bewildering nightmare at times, Ed, the THW bloke, seems to have near infinite patience and explains everything to everyone personally on the Yahoo Group.  :D

Sometimes I think of the books as a licence to get Ed to explain how the game is played, rather than a rules manual in themselves.   lol
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Ruarigh

• Librarian
    • The Ooh Shiny Complex
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
What Revford said. The best way to learn a THW game is to play it. The reaction system sort of explains itself through play. I would suggest setting up a small game and just having a go. You will probably wind up with a lot of questions after the first run through. Ask Ed on the Yahoo group and then have another go. It will become clear and you will have a great gaming experience in my opinion.

Cheers,
Ruarigh
The greatest revenge you can have on a man that steals your wife is to let him keep her.

Offline Dan

• Mastermind
    • Wades World of Wargaming
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 09:03:01 AM »
Thanks for the advice , its been a busy week and I keep falling asleep while trying to read the rules which has not helped my understanding of them. ::)
I will have a look at the Yahoo group too . ;)

Offline Rich J

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 08:35:24 PM »
My favourite ever game ... THW stuff has a steep learning curve but then plays real fast and easy ... just join the Yahoo group and ask away :-)
Rich J

Offline midismirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 11:26:47 AM »
The best thing is it covers the whole survivors' story, from Z-outbreak to the lawless shattered society, back to the re-start of civilization. I played it at best with a Game Master / Unpire as a "semi RPG".
Instagram profile: the_mediocre_wargamer

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »

You'll need to wake up, then, to re-read the rules. The system plays very well, and is unique in its approach to gaming. I play many of the THW sets - ATZ, 5150, RSBS, WHAA, etc., and they are infinitely more original, and playable, than many of the other sets on the market. The members of the Yahoo group are far superior in supporting the rules, and answering questions than most others I've encountered. Ed will answer all questions pertaining to the games, but the members do a great deal of the work in using their experiences on the tabletop to help out. And to flesh out new ideas within the rules themselves.

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 06:55:37 PM »
A long time gaming buddy described FNG, the 2HW Vietnam ruleset, as counter-intuitive. However he was very favourably impressed with how the game played and is eager for more now that we have a grip on the system.

I guess it really is something different from what most of us are used to. Once you get used to the core mechanic the whole thing becomes very simple to play. The online designer support and fan involvement is certainly enthusiastic.

Most importantly the 2 Hour Wargames core mechanic has recently undergone a significant refinement and you can check it out, if you wish, by downloading Chain Reaction 3.0 for free.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:01:43 PM by Mr. Peabody »
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 08:48:22 PM »

I've had too much caffeine.... 

;) :)

Nice to see someone that is so enthusiastic about a set of rules.

Generally i switch off as soon as i find a set of rules that needs someone to explain them - gaming for me is about having fun, and about choosing the right tactics, and a lot of rules (often ironically in the name of "increased accuracy") seem to get in the way of one or both of these goals.

Each to their own though.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
they are great Akky, and if you combine it with some stats from CR-3 (the free game) it works for your entire collection  ;)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 10:19:41 PM »
....in that case....

:)

cheers matey, i'll check them out.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2009, 10:33:06 PM »

I've had too much caffeine.... 

;) :)

Nice to see someone that is so enthusiastic about a set of rules.

Generally i switch off as soon as i find a set of rules that needs someone to explain them - gaming for me is about having fun, and about choosing the right tactics, and a lot of rules (often ironically in the name of "increased accuracy") seem to get in the way of one or both of these goals.

Each to their own though.

Have to say I am with Akula, I want to like the rules but struggle with them each time I have played incl ATZ, CR2 and FNG

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:44:03 PM »
something that helps me is the resolution charts that someone posted on the yahoogroup,
makes it a bit easier to game instead of looking for what happens next, the books (early ones at least) don't have the best layout :)

CR 3 is supposed to be better but i seriously haven't had a chance to get a read of those yet..