Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: This may sound like a silly question, but...  (Read 6135 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: This may sound like a silly question, but...
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2009, 08:34:12 PM »
Thankyou guys as I always wanted to know myself about this subject.

You are never too old to learn!

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Mr. Peabody

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Canuck Amok
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2009, 08:47:42 PM »
Sooo Cool! What a treat to follow this thread.
The Lead Adventure Forum; its work is done in a multitude of mysterious ways.
Hurrah! :-*
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here!

Offline Schweizer

• Librarian
    • The Crogan Adventures
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 11:57:34 AM »
It was the pics on this forum (I usually frequent Pulp and a few others) that got me interested. I picked up a penguin book - Call of Cthulhu, and other stories - and have been hooked.

I'd always enjoyed Stephen King, more for the writing style than the plots, but the thing that I liked about King is that he understood the necessity of exposition in horror.  Scary isn't the thing that jumps out and tries to eat the protagonist, scary is the vaguely unsettling story that the old man at the corner store tells the protagonist.  And Lovecraft?  His stories are almost all expository, and therefore almost all frightening. 

My favorites read thus far were the ubiquitous Call of Cthulhu and Shadow Over Innsmouth (both in the Penguin book).  Both are very well written, exciting, and chilling.  I just picked up At the Mountains of Madness yesterday and am thoroughly enjoying it so far.

If you don't mind a giant, heavy, fairly small print book, Barnes and Noble has a lovely "complete works" for 12.95 in Hardcover.  I didn't get that one because I got their Conrad and James Fenimore Cooper volumes and they were a pain on the subway.
Check out THE CROGAN ADVENTURES, a historical adventure graphic novel series available from your local bookstore or comic shop (or, of course, Amazon).  I make 'em.