Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:12:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Foam Boards  (Read 6906 times)

Offline Antenociti

• Scientist
    • Antenociti's Workshop
Re: Foam Boards
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 12:26:23 PM »
yeah, sorry about that, I didnt look properly at the images where its clear you've already used the rabbet joint... i'll plead stupidity if thats ok?  ;)

So, the "top" edge of foamboard..OK: stick something over the top of that edge or use a filler: however, a lot of fillers will eat the foam away (various spackles etc) so you can either stick a strip of card along the top-edge OR... use the Woodland Scenics Foam-Putty.

Now that is designed for use with foam and it wont melt the interior core, its also very soft (very) and easy to apply, and will fill the gap completely, apply then smooth.

Once dry you can deal with any lumps by sanding, but if you have smoothed it when wet it should be near perfect smoothness anyway.

Its a much under-rated product in fact and i use it a lot myself, especially for any foam-orientated jobs requiring filling.
\"You don\'t need eyes to see, you need vision.\"

Offline Sangennaru

• Galactic Brain
  • The Lazy One
    • The Lazy Forger
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
that's interesting , i'll shure take a try with my next order from you! =)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »
In the past I just pasted wood glue on every visible piece of foam.  :?
for my latest build I opted to glue strips of paper or cardboard :

more photos :
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18643&id=1045940363&l=d1e4fa558d
last pics in the album.
 :)
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Photobucket: http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd388/zizi666/
BGG: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/zizi666

Offline Cosmotiger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2011, 09:58:38 PM »
more photos :
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18643&id=1045940363&l=d1e4fa558d
last pics in the album.
There's all sorts of cool stuff in that album!

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 10:14:53 AM »
Antenociti: To give credit where it's due, I did the overlapping rabbet joint because I saw the clear diagrams/tutorial on your site, so thanks for that.

zizi666: I like the build, the card words well. For this design I'm going to glue on a small "stick" of foam card under each window as a nice chunky windowsill and a strip of plain card on the top as a lintel. I'm TRYING to keep the design simple, but I'm finding that I see other ideas and think, "Ooooh that's a nice bit of detail" lol.

I have a slight problem in that I painted the floor and got a slight warp! Nothing serious, but have a made a schoolboy error here?
"I've been a soldier for 12 years - it's my profession.  But if a soldier doesn't want peace in his soul then he's not a soldier any more - he's a killer.  A soldier fights for peace." Nadia Savchenko

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 11:04:13 AM »
I have a slight problem in that I painted the floor and got a slight warp! Nothing serious, but have a made a schoolboy error here?

No, what has happened is that the paint has soaked into the paper on one side and as it fris it starts to contract, causing the warp. There are two ways that I know of to fix it/mot have it happen.

1) After painting, use some weight on the painted floor so that as it dries it stays flat.

2) if it is already warped, try painting the other side and make sure there is weight on it as it dries.

I have also heard of people using windex on the unpainted side to warp it back the other way.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26:30 PM »
zizi666: I like the build, the card words well. For this design I'm going to glue on a small "stick" of foam card under each window as a nice chunky windowsill and a strip of plain card on the top as a lintel. I'm TRYING to keep the design simple, but I'm finding that I see other ideas and think, "Ooooh that's a nice bit of detail" lol.

Yeah, you want a simple and fast build, but once U start, you want it to be top notch    :D
about the warping, I had the same once when I painted woodglue that was too runny on foamboard.
threw it away, didn't even try to correct it.
the fallout garage (forementioned build) is now sprayed with GW textured paint. I had this can standing here for years and decided I should give it a go.
really pleased with the outcome. feels like the finest grain sandpaper you've ever came across.  8)

oh, you can still see the seams because the 2 building halves and insert aren't glued yet.

2 more pics in my album http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18643&id=1045940363&l=d1e4fa558d
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:48:52 PM by zizi666 »

Offline Ssendam

• Scientist
    • Ssendam's Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 01:35:31 PM »
I have a "satin" textured spray paint but I think as it's for the home rather than models it might be more, errm , aggressive. Do GW still make the textured spray?

I think I might cut out the floor and re do it.

(after seeing your pictures ... I want a garage now!)

Offline zizi666

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Photobucket page
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »
I have a "satin" textured spray paint but I think as it's for the home rather than models it might be more, errm , aggressive. Do GW still make the textured spray?

I think I might cut out the floor and re do it.

(after seeing your pictures ... I want a garage now!)

Ah, drat !
It appears they discontinued it in 2009 (told you I had that can standing here for some time)
Well, there's always the odd chance that your local DIY carries something similar that might do the trick.

as for the garage, seen this already :
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=25744.0
  ;D