Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:01:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Eilif's Toybashing and More (12/17 Alpha Strike in 10mm)  (Read 70928 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (11/22 Sci-Fi Train complete!)
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2016, 05:53:08 PM »
And the Train rolls on with another Necromunda gang.

As before these are my figs that I converted/rebased/etc and had painted by a buddy of mine in exchange for buildng some terrain, in this case the Fisher Price Parking Garage I showed a while back. The only request I made was for the dark red trenchcoats.  It's hard to see, but he even put gloss varnish on the eyeglasses and painted tiny liver spots on some of their little bald heads!

This Delaque Gang is made from East Riding Minaitures "Slicks" line.  
http://shop.eastridingminiatures.co.uk/corporate-wars-55-c.asp
These figs are pretty simply sculpted, but have a nice unified look and are REALLY cheap, coming in at less than $2 each!  I bought two of the gang sets and one additional figure from their "Enforcers" line.  I removed the very thick integral bases and in the process lost quite a few feet/legs which I replaced with parts of Heroclix figures.  Almost all of these guys got new weapons and they were mounted on Plastic bases from the Sedition Wars boxed set.  Over all, I was going for a bit of a cyberpunk vibe and I think it worked out quite well.

Here's the leaders. I'm really happy with the old metal Warzone Chainsword.  It's nicely undersized compared to 40k versions.  The old Ork Bolt pistol on the left is also a nice in-between size that could work for a bolter or bolt pistol. The guy in the middle with the shotgun is the "Enforcer", the only non-Slick figure,

The Heavies/specials.  The Flamer and tanks is one piece and comes from a Reaper weapons sprue.  The Grendade launcher (IG bit) and Heavy Bolter (Leftover from a Van Saar heavy Conversion) conversions were actually quite easy since I just bent the arms downward/outwoard pose so I wouldn't have to do any green-stuffing, though one or two hands snapped off in the process and I did use some superglue for gap-filling.

Lasguns and Autoguns. I acquired a few necromunda weapons sprues in a bag of random bits and I've put them to good use in this gang.

Stub gun and Autopistols. The gun on the right is stock and the left just got a new muzzle on his gun.

Two of the 7 poses are notably shorter than the rest, which makes me wonder if maybe the sculptor had Necromunda a bit in mind.  Not so short that they would have to be juves, but it certainly makes the set an even more attractive option for the budget necromunda player.  Of course, alternately you could also just chop the shins out of any of these trench-coated figures to make the more like Juve-size.

The rest.

Never ran a ganger with a hand flamer before.

One thing that I realize now is that I have a dearth of melee weapons on these figs.  Though all gangers are considered to have a knife on them, I may at some point go back and add a few CC weapons.  Perhaps a maul or a Scabbard or somesuch.  That's probably a ways off though and for now I'm super pleased with the way these have come out.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:11:00 PM by eilif »

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (8/27 Slick Delaque gang)
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »
Very nice!
 :-* :-*

I like them a lot as it always good to see alternative figures to the official ones.
Not every gang would look identical, regardless of House.
 8)

I am pretty sure that I saw your conversion work on these on Yak....is that right or was it someone else?

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2016, 10:12:40 PM »
I like them a lot as it always good to see alternative figures to the official ones.
Not every gang would look identical, regardless of House.
 8)

I am pretty sure that I saw your conversion work on these on Yak....is that right or was it someone else?

Thanks!
I have alot of affection and nostalgia (can you have nostalgia in your 30's?) for the original Necromunda figs, but I also greatly enjoy the uniqueness brought to a game by well-done alternatives.   Sometimes they blend in pretty well.   For Example, I think the figure on the left (converted Demonblade Dominatrix) fits in pretty well with the rest of the girls.

If you like alternative figs, I think you'll like the Orlock gang that I have currently out for painting with another friend.  It's a mix of official Orlocks, alternatives and a Rogue Trader warrior with various conversions and such.  A real hodgepodge that I think will still look pretty unified when finished.  Hopefully they'll be done in a few weeks or so.

You did indeed see the Orlocks (and my other figs and terrain) at Yak.  Great bunch of hardcore Necromunda Fanatics over there.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 10:20:16 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2016, 02:20:50 PM »
I was holding off posting the finished products of my modular scatter terrain project because I ended up entering them in a competition at a different forum.  The competition is now over (don't know if I won anything yet...) so I feel I can share them more generally.  I'll do three posts. Cargo Terrain, Industrial Terrain and then some cool combainations.

First the Cargo Terrain:

I do wish I'd used a brighter color like blue or orange to distinguish the blocks that are under the gears from the base/flooring.

One think I didn't mention earlier is the neat detail (often with raised printing) that small electric motors usually have on the backside.

The individual blocks have a side with a round indention. That, along with using a different color paint lets you differentiate them enough to use the base 10 blocks for supports and chocks as well as the bases.

And here's the stacks of "Girder and Panel" I-beams that aren't technically part of the project, but are super useful as scatter terrain.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
I've been meaning to post on this thread for a while now but never got round to it  ::)

Cracking stuff all round  8) 8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (9/1 Modular Industrial Terrain Finished)
« Reply #155 on: September 01, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
Here's the second half of the finished scatter terrain.

Tomorrow we wrap it all up with some sweet combos!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (9/1 Modular Industrial Terrain Finished)
« Reply #156 on: September 02, 2016, 01:24:25 PM »
And, now we arrive at the end of my Modular Scatter Terrain Odyssey .
The individual pieces are nice on their own, but I deliberately designed the layout to be combinable into larger segments. To this end I also made up a couple of flooring sections with nothing on top.

The pieces can be combined thematically to make an industrial mechanical piece and a Cargo piece.  The stack of crates on the left can be used to take the place of the piece of flooring where the the ferocious Necromunda anti-hero Mad Donna is standing.

A bit of Industry

Some Cargo awaiting transport.  Looks like it's been waiting a long time.

But of course you can also combine them to make an even larger section of terrain. 

This kind of thing is especially good for Necromunda where a good game requires lots of terrain and sometimes you have open areas between larger terrain pieces that you want to fill.

This combined piece is 20x30cm (about 8x12 inches)

Hope you enjoyed this project. I won't post it here, but if you want to see a step-by-step tutorial for the entire process from assembly through painting, you can see my comp thread here:
http://www.beastsofwar.com/groups/painting/forum/topic/hobby-challenge-modular-urban-terrain-a-how-to-log/#post-166613
Like most of my stuff, it's actually a very fast-and-simple process that anyone can replicate easily.

Lastly, if this kind of terrain is your thing, I can't recommend highly enough that you check out one of the original master's of the genre, Sean Patten and his website www.ironhands.com .  The whole site is amazing, but check out the Necromundicon, Votoms and Galactic Heroes sections first.  He's been at it since the 90's and most everything I do has some connection to that site.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (9/2 Modular Scatter Terrain Combines!)
« Reply #157 on: September 02, 2016, 04:53:18 PM »
Wonderful scatter scenery, utilising all manner of bizarre objects.
 :-*

Of course, the best thing about scatter terrain is that it really brings a table to life.
 8)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #158 on: September 02, 2016, 10:36:38 PM »
Wonderful scatter scenery...
...Of course, the best thing about scatter terrain is that it really brings a table to life.

Thanks!
I definitely agree.  This terrain is already off with my buddy, but I think my own personal collection might suffice for now...  ;)

http://chicagoskirmish.blogspot.com/2014/09/scatter-terrain-for-sci-fi-and-post.html

Offline galatea77

• Librarian
« Reply #159 on: September 03, 2016, 11:44:37 AM »
This terrain is epic work, I love the modular idea !

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #160 on: September 03, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
This terrain is epic work, I love the modular idea !
Thanks!  I've got some other projects to do first, but I'm thinking I may come back to this modular design for a chemical plant of some sorts. A bunch of chemical processing units of different types that can be combined in different ways and all based on the same base-10 blocks could look pretty impressive.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #161 on: September 17, 2016, 02:14:47 PM »
I've got a new Orlock Gang.
Some of these guys are conversions and a few are non-GW figs.

A couple of years ago my buddy painted these 5 Orlock up for random post-apoc gaming.  Some neat conversions in there.

About 2 years ago he sold them to me.

Before he moved away we worked out an exchange whereby he'd paint the rest of a gang in exchange for me making him some terrain.  Last week they arrived!
Here's some pics of the whole gang. You can tell the new from old by the basing scheme.  I'll be repainting the tan bases to match the others soon.  He pulled some colors from the original batch (red, green and blue especially) to bring to the new figs.

The two on the left are the same base fig.  The gas mask is from Victoria miniatures. Easy to use and awesome for quickly making two identical figs look different.
The guy on the right is from AlphaForge/Megaminis and is stock except for two new weapons. He'll probably be my leader.

All Stock GW stuff except for the helmet/head swap.

More of the same.

Two juves and the ganger on the left is another Alpha/Mega fig with an added sword.

Another pair of identical figs made different with a Victoria gas mask and sword swap.  The guy on the left might also be used as a starter leader.

Another Alpha Forge fig with a head from a Warzone mini, a Vintage Rogue Trader era "trooper" (one of my favorite figs in the gang) and a stock Orlock.

Another thing I like about these guys is some of the gear and packs they have.

The whole gang.

Very happy with this group. Once I match the bases of the older figs, they'll be very well unified.  I'm also very glad that there are just enough alternate figs and minor conversions to give it some unique character.  This batch of figs was acquired on a very small budget as I traded or bought for whatever I could find cheap and then supplemented with non-necro figs.

The fellow who painted them also posted them on his blog. If you'd like to read his thoughts on the process and see some very classic-necromunda-looking action pics, I highly recommend a visit.
https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/2016/09/15/fully-painted-necromunda-gang/
Just a teaser...

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (Shock Force)
« Reply #162 on: September 25, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
After playing it in Oregon a month ago, I gave Shock force/Warengine another run through last week with my local club Chicago Skirmish Wargames.  

Definitely a good experience and it was great to play on my buddies Winter terrain board and to have a chance to put my small batch of Squat's on the table.

We didn't use all the rules and somehow managed to skip the fact that you can move, shoot and then finish your move.  That would have made it a much more tactical game. Looking forward to playing again.

AAR, more pics and additional observations about the rules here:
http://chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2016/09/24/shockforce-is-back-battle-in-the-frozen-city/
Writeup about the earlier game here:
https://comradewargames.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/warengine-assault-on-sarkir-chem-station/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 01:10:48 PM by eilif »

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (9/25 3-way game of Shock Force/Warengine!)
« Reply #163 on: October 04, 2016, 01:37:17 AM »
I finally finished off my Maersk Tesla Corporate Marines Platoon project.  It's made of nearly all the "Vangaurd" units from 3 game boxes of "Sedition Wars Battle for Alabaster". 55 figs and 3 drones in all!

The figs are all cast in restic and there were assembly issues for some, but considering the ridiculously low price of the game and the good quality of the sculpts, I'm more than willing to put in the additional prep-time that restic requires.The basic troopers had been done for some time and even saw action in our 28mm games of Mech Attack, but I recently finished a set of 4 personalities and 3 gun drones.

Lots more pics, process, etc here: http://chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2016/10/03/maersk-tesla-corporate-platoon-complete/

For those interested, my work last year on the first set of basic troopers and my review of the figs can be seen here:
http://chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2015/01/08/sedition-wars-good-deal-for-patien/

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Eilif's Urban Terrain and More (11/22 Sci-Fi Train complete!)
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »
The Sci-Fi Train is done!

I'm pretty stoked at how it turned out even though there were some significant examples of Murphy's Law along the way.

Lots more pics of every car and processes described here:
http://chicagoskirmishwargames.com/blog/2016/11/21/sci-fi-train-finished/