Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 11:46:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694365
  • Total Topics: 118600
  • Online Today: 684
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report  (Read 1931 times)

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
Battle Report
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:04:46 PM »
The other night I had a quick run through of the game to get used to the core rules.  I built a Threshold group, Character with lucky, 3 agents, one with cleaver another with tommy gun and one as standard. I'd worked out a cool band of Lurkers, Cult  Leader, 2 cultists and a Serpentman, (in this case a serpent woman using the Yuan-Ti halfblood sorcerer DDM figure). They went out the window when I rolled Monster Attack and foolishly headed straight for the Formless Thing, 15BP straight out the box :)

Haha... not so much a baptism of fire as one of slime and pseudopods! Needless to say the formless thing utterly destroyed the Threshold without sustaining so much as a scratch :)

They put up a decent fight, the tommy gunner had taken up a good position right against the edge of some ruins, giving him some cover, but his hails of lead either missed thier mark or were simply absorbed but the bulk of the horror. He was eventually grabbed and drawn to the horror, his nerve held (unlike the first agent to be dragged to the beast!), and a combat was drawn.

At this point the character decided that a new tactic should be employed since no one had their shooting head on, and the bullets that found the target were having no effect. The two threshold in the open joined thier fellow in close combat with the horror, knives were drawn, three against the one... surely this had to be the way?

Needless to say the two remaining agents were dispatched with minor injuries in quick time, the worst of the horrors attacks finding home against the character, who suffered a major injury  :o

Utter defeat in the face of the formless thing! Hell of a lot of fun. Rolled 53 for major injury so character made a full recovery! At last something had gone well for the threshold!

The formless thing was tough, as it should be, but also I was rolling terribly for the Threshold.

So the character and his agents are again to go up against the formless horror, such a thing should not be loose in the hills!  More equipment will be taken this time.... but of cause that will mean a higher Total BP so the formless thing will also have learnt from the experience and will be even more ready for the Threshold!

The rules played nice and tight and a great narrative evolved from the game. The dice were with the formless thing that night in the hills... maybe next time, who knows....!!

Offline Sheerluck Holmes

• Mad Scientist
Re: Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 09:35:36 PM »
Sounds like a fun game. Hopefully we can get photos of your games in time  :)

As the formless thing has a 6/8 con, you need higher dice rolls to damage to start off with... maybe some dynamite is needed.... but that can be risky for all involved  ;D   But it does negate the /8 of the formless thing making a wound of some kind actually possible.

A civil war saber will do the same job... but you need to get in close  :-[

Ammo upgrade as per the Shocking tales book could help too, giving a +1 to damage, or even a character armed with a long bow with metal arrows - which give +2 API... dang... I just realised how nasty a bow can be!  With upgraded ammo - 1D+2 with 2 API

Does any one make 1920's figures with bow???  If not, we need one!

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »
Monster Attack right off the top can really sting. Don't lose heart Agent Blackstone.  ;)
Glad to have you on board and I also look forward to a battle report with some photos of those excellent models of yours.  :D

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
Yes the second assault against the formless thing will take place soon... once the threshold are fully rested and re-equiped ;)
I reckon with the right rolls I could have defeated it with the Tommy Gun.. but I may well be taking some dynamite along second time round.

Maybe some pics next time. My new threshold figures have begun arriving from around the world...

One quick rules question re-formless thing. D3 attacks, I was rolling D3 each time the creature attacked so it was a variable throughout the game. Is this right or should it be a one-off roll at the start of the game?

cheers

Offline jnr

• Scientist
    • Jnr Paint & Model Shop
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »
D3 thought out the game.
If you not got the Shocking Tales then buy it the additonal weapons will help out in C.C
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:48:04 AM by jnr »

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 12:45:33 PM »
jnr is correct...random stats need to be rolled each Action. Making for more unpredictability and general craziness.  :P

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:30:41 PM »
Yeah that's what I though... we like craziness!!

If you not got the Shocking Tales then buy it the additonal weapons will help out in C.C
Yup got that..  currently converting a Threshold figure that uses a weapon from those lists ;)