Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 05:44:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
  • Total Members: 10482
  • Latest: Veroo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1694269
  • Total Topics: 118595
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)  (Read 22120 times)

Offline joe5mc

• Mastermind
    • The Renaissance Troll
Re: The Hobbit – I have seen the film. (no spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 05:34:34 PM »
I would say it was 'flawed' but 'fantastic'.  While I absolutely loved it, it felt like I was watching the extended edition.  It probably would have been a better cinema release if they'd cut about an hour out and kept the focus more strictly on the Dwarves and Bilbo.

Still, that certainly isn't going to stop me from seeing it again!

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2012, 08:39:48 AM »
Saw the standard 2D version (can't be fecked with 3D) at the weekend with my 10 and 7 year old kids - they both loved it and
so did I, but now I've got to endure a year of 'is it out yet?' from the youngest. 6 month gap would have been plenty :)

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2012, 12:29:15 PM »
I saw it on Sunday and was thoroughly impressed. It met my expectations, and I found the effects to be great.  I really enjoyed the visuals in goblin-town... it was just so ramshackle and fun.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2012, 02:26:51 PM »
I finally saw it - had to waitr for the cinema to show it in English as I have a healthy mistrust of all dubbed versions...

I thought it was fun. I particularly liked how they entwined the story around Dol Guldur with the main plot. Totally relieved about the dwarves - in spite of their rather clownish outfit they became real characters and very likable persons.

Negative: maybe a little too pulpy in places. I think the personal vendetta story with that orc was unnecessary and I didn't like his make-up a bit. He looked more like a muppet monster clad in rubber than anything spooky.

My wife remarked that the actors seemed to be a lot better than in LotR. I thought so, too.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 08:10:09 AM »
I dont like 3d either. I am very curious if the 48fps with normal 2d was amazing Kes.

I'd be intrigued too - I hadn't realised that they were showing the 2D version in HFR. I've had a look through
some of the cinemas but I can't find it.

http://film.list.co.uk/article/47260-the-hobbit-at-48-frames-per-second-where-to-see-it/

The kids want to go see 3D films, but when given the choice between spending the extra on sweets
and watching 2D, guess which way they go?

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 08:17:48 AM »
I didn't know about such an option either. Pretty sure there isn't one in Finland but that doesn't say much of course.

I'll reserve the 2D experience for the special edition blu ray 8)

Offline Armorman39

• Schoolboy
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »
For me it was Hollywood, over the top for me but I enjoyed it it but I like the feel of the book hands down - just my thoughts 8)
If you enemy has a big gun, get a bigger gun!!

Offline ancient one

• Bookworm
  • ....he's behind me right
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »
Watched it last night in 3D, really enjoyed it, roll on part two.
One thing though, on screen in the dark - its really dark. I don't know if that's just a by product of the 3D glasses or me getting older?

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 01:42:52 PM »
3D is darker than 2D. HRF3D is brighter than 3D but I'm not quite sure if it's quite as bright as 2D. Seemed like to me.

Offline Maichus

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
Saw it yesterday with the missus in 3D 48fps.

I have to say the 48fps made it look cheap, at least at the local cinema.  :? Before the movie there was a world of warcraft trailer in 3D, which looked much more 'realistic' and higher production value than the actual movie...  o_o

As for the movie as such, I'd rate it 6 out of 10. The Gremlins comparison is quite fitting although Gremlins had a much better pace, imho.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 03:26:43 PM by Maichus »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »
I loved it, although I didn't think the 3D added much. Think I'll go see it again in 2D and will probably enjoy it more (and see more!)
Did drag a wee bit in places, and not really taken with the Radagast bits - but by God, what a visual feast, very much continuing the sheer spectacle of Jackson's LOTR trilogy.

God knows how long the extended edition DVD will be though  ;)

Offline ryoden

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 08:31:45 PM »
Saw it this week and enjoyed it, not true to the book in places but I can see why they did what they did.  Did anyone else think that the dwarf guards armour in the beginning looked similar to the ones in Dragon Age?
The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

Offline Chaos Wolf

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2012, 11:58:47 PM »
I haven't seen it....yet. What's the difference with the 3D vs. the regular version? Is either one better than the other?

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2012, 04:43:12 AM »
Well the 3D version will give me a headache, and a bit of motion sickness.  Some folks have that reaction to the new 3D technology unfortunately.  Tin-Tin did not present that issue, but I'm going to stick with the non 3D version to be on the safe side.  Oh, and the 3D version is more expensive to watch than the regular version too.

I haven't seen it....yet. What's the difference with the 3D vs. the regular version? Is either one better than the other?
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2012, 05:28:16 AM »
We took the family to see the hobbit this week and loved it.  I do hate waiting for the next movies though. 
The 3D/48 fps didn't bother me or any of my family though I would have to agree it didn't seem to add much.  I thought the film had a very vibrant, lush visual look.  Given all the negative comments about Radagast I had expected worse but I would agree his scenes didn't add much.
2024: B: 2220; P: 154; 2023: B:77; P:37;