Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:59:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Feb 7/18: 'Renaissance Duet')  (Read 21240 times)

Offline Leman

• Scientist
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated July 27/17)
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2017, 09:03:19 AM »
I have started to use this basing style with the GIW variant for To the Strongest. It also seems to be a great way of protecting the figures.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
cant stop looking at these wonderful figures, i have plunged into getting some plastic landsknecht figs from warlord to start with, looking at yours i will be getting metal pikes as they look a lot better, keep up the good work as its truly inspirational

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2017, 05:10:28 AM »
Thanks for all the encouraging words everyone - It's very much appreciated!

@Leman: Yes, absolutely. The larger bases reduce the instances of accidents, allow tarting-up into little vignettes and they are super-quick to move on the tabletop.

@skip: The Warlord Landsknechts have their pikes modelled directly on the arm, so it will be a little bit of work to replace them with metal pikes. But they would look great!

Curt

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated August 9/17)
« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2017, 09:30:19 PM »
Hi All!

First, before I start, I wish to apologize in advance for having all the images at the bottom of the page. You see, I'm holding fast, refusing to pay Photobucket's ransom demands, so please bear with me until something better is found.

Below are two command stands that I completed a few months back. They are my renditions of the opposing commanders at the Battle of Pavia (1525), Francis I of France and Fernando d'Avalos of Spain.

Francis is seen here with his helmet under his arm, discussing the proposed dispositions of the French siege with one of his advisers, Montmorency, Marshal of France. The two men have recently arrived in front of the city and have placed a map of Pavia on a makeshift table made from a wagon wheel set on a tree stump. A pair of Francis' hunting dogs, Alaunts (a breed now sadly extinct), are at his side. His banner-bearer, bored out of his mind, stands at the rear, holding the Royal Standard. Francis' attendants have brought out a stool with a refreshment of wine in pewter goblets.

The figures of Francis, Montmorency and his standard bearer are from the very talented Oliver James over at Steel Fist Miniatures. These were part of a Kickstarter which I participated in a year or so ago.

The two Alaunts were sculpted by Steve May as a private commission for Simon over at je Lay Emprins, who kindly provided me with a couple sets (Thanks Simon!).

The tree stump, wagon wheel, stool, wine bottle and goblets I printed off on my 3D printer (I LOVE that thing).

Francis' brave banner is from Pete's Flags.

Next, we have a fierce Spaniard, Fernando d'Avalos, the victorious Imperial commander who defeated the French and whose forces captured Francis I at the Battle of Pavia.

The mounted figure is from Warlord Games, and while the casting itself is listed as being from their 'Wars of Religion' range, I thought he serves quite nicely as a early 16th century Spanish commander (I quite like his elegant soft cap, with its jaunty feather).

The dismounted knight at D'Avalos' side is from Steel Fist Miniatures. He is in full harness (probably shedding more than a few pounds, trying to keep up), wearing the distinctive conical 'kettle' helm often favoured by Spanish noblemen of the age.

The standard bearer is a venerable Wargames Foundy casting, holding a banner from Pete's Flags.

...and we have the same two Alaunts, who apparently will switch switch sides to whomever has the best treats (very fitting for the age, I think). ;)

Thanks for dropping in folks and have a great week!

Curt

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 05:00:45 PM by Curt »

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2017, 10:04:57 PM »
Stunning vignettes and wonderful armies you're building - nice to see the hounds painted up!
Simon.

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2017, 10:23:34 PM »
Lovely work as usual, Curt. Is the Francis I set available for sale to us hoi polloi as well ?

Re the Photofuckit issue, PostImage looks like a very good substitute :

http://postimg.org

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2017, 10:53:43 PM »
Wonderful little vignettes.

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2017, 11:36:13 PM »
Beautiful work. Just amazing.
Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2017, 04:30:54 AM »
Jaw dropping, as usual!  :-* :-* :-*
Perfect paintjobs!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2017, 06:22:20 AM »
Great stuff - I am a big fan of command vignettes.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2017, 06:36:35 AM »
Brilliant! :-* Its one thing I love about this type of gaming, all the wee dioramas kicking about the battle field. Dioramas for command, dioramas for artillery and those wee special ones for that something different. I've seen ones of guys being hanged and field hospitals. It always makes for an interesting view at games days.

Offline ArisK

• Bookworm
    • The Pear At War
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2017, 10:42:30 AM »
Superb work!
I love how each vignette conveys a whole mood, static vs. mobile.
best regards
Aris K.

Offline Steel fist

• Scientist
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2017, 11:30:18 AM »
Great work on this thread! Very epic units with a sense of drama

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »
I like how the two command stands are so different. The French are static, discussing plans whereas the Spanish are on the move, possibly following an attack.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
Thank you all very much for the kind words. It's a great encouragement.

@Simon: Cheers! And thanks so much for providing the hounds (I have a penchant for including dogs, whenever I can). They were a delight to work with.

@Arthur: Thanks for the PostImage tip - I'm going to check that out. To what are you referring to when you ask about the Francis I set? The figures are from Steel Fist, the dogs are from Simon over at je Lay Emprins and the rest of the bits I 3D printed.

@Steel fist: Oliver, lovely figures mate! You've got an amazing talent. I absolutely love working on these castings.