Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:52:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686648
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Feb 7/18: 'Renaissance Duet')  (Read 21256 times)

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated August 9/17)
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
To what are you referring to when you ask about the Francis I set? The figures are from Steel Fist, the dogs are from Simon over at je Lay Emprins and the rest of the bits I 3D printed.

I thought they were exclusive Kickstarter figures reserved for people who'd backed the project but I've found them on the Steel Fist website now.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2017, 07:59:44 PM »
@Arthur: Yup, they're real beauties. Wonderful to work on.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2017, 08:51:23 AM »
Excellent painting on those wonderful dioramas.  The staging and lighting are great too.

Offline pete17

• Bookworm
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2017, 05:12:32 PM »
Excellent painting Curt

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2017, 11:36:21 AM »
Really nice job on the figures!

I'd have some questions if you don't mind. You use the Perry XVth century figures for the Italian War - don't they look old/outdated? I'm asking mostly because I'm looking to recreate the conflict in 1:72, where good pikemen are not too common for the period - using some Burgundian War Swiss would certainly help a lot.

Thanks in advance for the answer, and keep up the good work.

Offline Leman

• Scientist
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2017, 03:25:20 PM »
Have a look at stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk   - Stuart uses green stuff to modify Perry figures to make them more suitable for the earlier Italian Wars. His work is particularly useful for producing English and French armies of 1513, but his techniques would also be applicable to Italians and Spanish at that time.
If it’s too hard, I can’t do it

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2017, 04:20:24 PM »
@zirrian: Yes, you're absolutely right, they are a little early for the Italian Wars proper, but not by much - only 17 years separated the two periods (the wars in Burgundy ended in 1477 and the Italian Wars began in 1494). I freely admit, I'm not too much of a pendant on these matters, but I think military fashion (i.e. puff and slash sleeves, etc.) took a bit of time to filter through the ranks.  Others may argue with me, but I'm fine with using them. :) This all being said, I agree with Leman's comment that Stuart's modifications are gorgeous and are a credit to the hobby, - just too time consuming for my butterfly attention span.  lol

I will sin once again as my next submission uses Foundry 15C Swiss sculpted by the talented Dave Andrews. Yes, I'm completely shameless...  ::)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:29:46 PM by Curt »

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2017, 04:52:09 PM »
Well, just found this thread and I'm glad I did.
Great work and beautifully posed units and stands, truly inspirational (though I do 15mm....).
I see some rulesets were mentioned early on so what will you be using for this little lot?

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
Smirnoff, thank you for the kind words.

We use a slightly modified version of 'Pike & Shotte'. It gives a nice, quickly flowing game which always seems to provide entertaining results. I don't have our mods directly at hand, but they benefit from James' good work available here:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.ca/2017/07/italian-wars-unit-characterisation-for.html

and here:

http://olicanalad.blogspot.ca/2017/06/battle-of-garigliano-river-29-december.html

I seem to remember that we also limit the Heavy Cavalry charge bonus to their first impact only due to the expenditure/shattering of their heavy lances. The fun thing with the rules is that they are very tweakable.

I hope this helps!

Offline zirrian

• Librarian
  • 1:72 enthusiast
« Reply #99 on: August 30, 2017, 06:11:11 AM »
Well, I accept your reasoning, and as I don't really want to make another two armies to play the Burgundian wars, I think I'll take my Swiss and maybe convert them a bit to serve as mercs a couple of years later.

Thanks for the answer!

Offline Anselm van Helsing

• Scientist
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
Superbly painted models & vignettes!

Following.  :)

Offline Mattias

• Bookworm
    • Northern Wargaming
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2017, 09:06:14 PM »
Some great stuff here! As an reenactor of early 16th century it warms my heart.

Offline Curt

• Librarian
    • Analogue Hobbies
Re: Curt's Great Italian Wars Project (Updated Sept 1/17)
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2017, 04:42:10 PM »

Here is another unit recently added to my Italian Wars collection. This time out we have a mob of Swiss pikemen from the cantons of Bern, Appenzell and Solothurn.

Usually I prefer to paint my own figures, but I’m a relatively slow painter and I wanted to get this collection to a playable state sooner rather than later, so I've enlisted some help from a few pals from around the globe to assist me in moving this project along. Those who come back later will see some of the other work I've received from friends along with more of my own efforts.

The majority of figures from this unit were commissioned from the very talented John over at 'Jacksarge Brushes & Battles'. As I enjoy doing the composition, banners, pikes and basework, I had John focus on painting the figures and I took care of the rest. I just added a wash here and there and a few spot highlights so they better blended with the rest of my collection - I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

These figures are Dave Andrews sculpts from Wargames Foundry. While they may be a little long-in-the-tooth I find that they are really lovely castings; nicely proportioned and conveying a wonderful sense of movement. Being designed for the Burgundian period they are perhaps a bit early for the Italian Wars, but I reason that only 17 years separated the two periods and the charm of the figures outweighs the sin of being somewhat sartorially old-fashioned.

To be honest after my previous Landsknecht pike unit I wasn't really keen on doing another formation in a charging pose as they are complete swine to base and take up about twice the space as a regular unit, but I couldn't help myself when I came across these models while browsing the WF catalogue. Oh well, I reason that these levelled-pike units can be used to denote veteran or particularly large-sized units so I'm happy with having a few in the collection.

Not happy to leave well enough alone, I painted up a few more models to help round-out the unit. There's a standard bearer buried in there that's mine, along with the horn player in the rear rank, the mounted hauptmann overseeing the lads and the poor landsknecht out in front, having a little lay-down.

The banners are a mix from Pete's Flags and a few resized from the Perry boxed Mercenary plastic set.

In this last shot you see the pikeblock being screened by a unit of Bernese halberdiers I painted previously, and led-in by their somewhat peckish mascot, 'Daisy'.

Thanks to John for the great collaboration on this unit - it was a lot of fun to work on.

Thank you for dropping by folks – I hope you all have great day!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:56:29 PM by Curt »

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2017, 05:08:36 PM »
super animation to your vignettes, love it, all your figures together must make a realistic looking battle

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2017, 05:09:48 PM »
Excellent stuff
I would be great to see all the units arrayed in battle formation