Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:00:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690622
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Scandinavia early 16th century - need help finding miniatures!  (Read 2030 times)

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
I am planning to build forces for the Danish invasion of Sweden in 1520. The invading army consisted, beside Danish troops, of German, French and Scottish mercenaries. I struggle to find images of French and Scots for this time period. The Swedish defenders, consisting mainly of peasant militia is also a bit troublesome, see pictures below. I would be grateful for any comments where to find suitable 28mm for the French, Scots and Swedes. Thanks!

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Scandinavia early 16th century - need help finding miniatures!
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2017, 06:43:35 PM »
TAG do a range of lovely Valois French figures but they're unfortunately a bit late for you (1535-1570 rather than 1520) :

http://tagminis.co.uk/product-category/renaissance/french-valois/

Converting late medieval figures might be the better option if you feel comfortable enough with green stuff. For inspiration, have a look at Stuart Mulligan's Army Royal blog, where Stuart's superb converted Perry figures are covered in great detail (Stuart is also an LAF regular who frequently posts on the renaissance boards) :

http://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.fr

Old Glory have an extensive Italian Wars range, but nothing specifically French if memory serves (then again I'm no great fan of OG figures so I might be wrong here). For early C16th Scots, Dixon do a small Flodden range that should be fine in terms of period accuracy if you find the sculpting style to your taste (I don't) :

http://www.dixon-minis.com/shop/flodden-1513/

Re the Swedes, i'm afraid you're going to have to either convert ou commission specific figures from a sculptor as I can't think of anything that resembles the good folk shown in your pictures.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 07:41:00 PM by Arthur »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:59:17 PM »
Arthur,
Many thanks for your comments! Re the French, yes I have spent hours drooling over Stuarts amazing work. Unfortunately that is out of my league. Browsing my osprey books I found some French examples corresponding to Stuarts work. Would it be safe to use miniatures with the "skirt" type dress, like the blue figure here, or the ones below? If so, there are quite a few landsknecht figures that could work as French

« Last Edit: June 04, 2017, 09:04:05 PM by traveller »

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 07:10:51 AM »
Hello there.

I reckon the Swedes would be the hardest to replicate but not impossible. Landsknechts are well covered. I've not tried any Scots yet but from reading about them their appearance would be reasonably represented as late WOTR blended with base coats and a few in the latest armour as well as some highlanders thrown in for good measure.

As mercenaries though I'd say use the WOTR and mercenaries sets with cloth caps and some base coats. On that point I have a few dollies in base coats available for conversion with the Perry plastics of which you can see various examples in the last few posts on my blog.

French would be similar but with more base coats as illustrated. Very similar to the Tudors really but a bit less somber. I've done quite a few of them, look at the French tab on the blog and you'll see.

I guess it all depends on where you want to make compromises. Provided each nation is suitably distinct you could do it convincingly with not too much effort.

Good luck !

Stuart

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:11:53 AM »
Stuart,

Thanks for your advice! I will send you a PM about the Tudors. ;)

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 09:01:29 PM »
TAG's Maximilian guards with their heads replaced might be an option as well as their Italian/Swiss Guards, at the least to add a bit of variety and reduce the conversion work a bit

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »
Border horse or border reivers would work well the TAG range being a good one to look at, also for Redshank and highland troops the claymore castings would be ideal http://claymorecastings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=20_45

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 01:29:23 AM »
Incidentally, if you're interested in the TAG figures, the company has just announced a not-insignificant price increase, effective next month. Adjust your plans accordingly if you want to order a few packs at the current prices.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2017, 11:42:11 AM »
Thanks for the TAG recommendations, I will take a closer look at those  ;)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2017, 10:29:51 AM »
I believe GW had some Mordheim figures usefull for your Project.
Also worth checking their empire militia for some conversions.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2017, 12:32:53 PM »
Thanks Rumacara,

There are some great miniatures in the Mordheim range, of which I have enlisted a few already. I must take a look at the Empire militia as well - good suggestion! Cheers

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2017, 01:29:14 PM »

Hi Bo

Very nice project you are starting up. Ill be glad to share my view of the topic and some miniature recommendations.

When dealing with backwater areas as Sweden one need to take some Historical shortcuts as if you want perfect  historical accuracy it won´t work, at least not in my mind.

I have run some Swedish Liberation 1521-23 games using my 15th century Swedes and Danes, for the Danes there might be some minis in outdated equipment but once again I think people used what they had, most of my Danes are Landsknechts, I haven't done any difference in German, French or Scottish mercenaries. Although i read somewhere that the Scottish was considered very good in close assault...highland charge anyone?

The minis I built my Danish Landsknechts are a mix of old GW plastic empire minis mixed up with perry WOTR minis. I also used dismounted knights made of Perry WOTR Plastic, here one could mix in Knights in later armour for the rich and noble.

For the Swedes I have used a plethora of different miniature manufacturers (Kingmaker, perry plastic, Gripping Beast Darragh warriors and Vikings, Fireforge etc) and I dont mind outdated equipment as these are farmers using the equipment they have at hand.Not sure how well spread the use of “Plata” (Body armour) was as I reckon it was quite expensive to produce especially for farmers? I can imaginär that they used “Plata” that they have got from defekter Danish mercenaries.

If i would build me a new Swedish force I would do it all plastic using, Perry HYW (plenty of helmets, weapons, bodys in the french box that would work) and WOTr, in the Light horse box you have the “Swedish” style helmet I got MIchael to included.
Also the new scandinavian box from fireforge could be nice to use for conversions as well as their Foot sergeants to get hold of Crossbows. I would also add some GB Dark Are Warriors to the mix. This would give you a good mix of raggtagg looking Swedish militia troops perfect to ambush the evil Danes.

More pictures of my forces here, The Swedes are mixed polearms and crossbows/bows on the same base.

Please feel free to ask if any questions.

Best regards Michael

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:32:13 PM by Dalauppror »

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2017, 09:27:26 PM »
Thanks Michael!
Lots of good thoughts on the Swedes, much appreciated. That would allow me to use a fair bit of the leadmountain to fill the ranks. You have really succeeded to provide the image of a chaotic massive battlefield. Looks really nice!
I struggle a bit regarding basing...I like Stuarts approach with 12x6 and 6x12cm bases which works well with pikes but with the Swedes? Only use 12x6 cm? I understand the Swedes first fired crossbows and handguns and then charged with poleaxes, how to present that in the best way? Grateful for any thoughts!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 06:30:31 AM by traveller »

Offline Dalauppror

• Mastermind
  • www.dalauppror.blogspot.com
    • Dalauppror Wargamingblog
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2017, 11:04:07 PM »
Thanks!

I come to the conclutiom to always field them in mixed formations. I started My swedes based for Impetus on 12x6cm bases but Sins i wanted to try different rules i after two bases rebased on 4x4cm.

You can find a bunch of pictures of My first bases here, with mixed formations.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 11:14:33 PM by Dalauppror »

Offline GamesPoet

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2017, 12:17:31 AM »
Seems like a great project!